Food carb question

thiscocks
thiscocks Posts: 549
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Before my daily commute I have either a bowl of cereal or porridge. I wondered if there are any other quick to prepare foods which might offer more carbohydrate?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    stick with the porridge, but soak raisins in the milk/water overnight before making it.

Add a banana to the top and you're away. The fruit gives you that early morning high GI carb boost, then you get slow release from the grains.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Cheers mate, will try that one
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    We make up dried fruit with the oats in a jar, enough for the week. E.g. raisins, pitted dates, apple, pineapple, whatever is in the cupboard.

It takes a few minutes in the microwave to do in the morning, then slice a banana and put a spoon of honeyon top and crunch half a walnut over it for an even more yummy experience.

My scotish mother in law would be turning in her grave! Water and salt, thats PROPER porridge!
    us0.png
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    FeynmanC wrote:
    We make up dried fruit with the oats in a jar, enough for the week. E.g. raisins, pitted dates, apple, pineapple, whatever is in the cupboard.

It takes a few minutes in the microwave to do in the morning, then slice a banana and put a spoon of honeyon top and crunch half a walnut over it for an even more yummy experience.

My scotish mother in law would be turning in her grave! Water and salt, thats PROPER porridge!

my suggestion exactly....I love porridge sooo much

As a child I ordered porridge when in scotland...now that was a shock, blluuaaeerr not a fan of salty oats
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Mmm porridge with defrosted frozen summer fruits and maple syrup.
    Make some flapjack and have a piece when you get to work too.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gert_lush wrote:
    ...As a child I ordered porridge when in scotland...now that was a shock, blluuaaeerr not a fan of salty oats

Coarse (pinhead) oatmeal, cooked from cold overnight in the slow oven, generous helping of salt stirred in with a little cream on the side.

Hot, filling, savoury, rich, creamy, lovely nutty texture... the breakfast of champions...

P.S. Bet this is what Chris Hoy really has for breakfast... Bran Flakes don't come close... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    gert_lush wrote:
    ...As a child I ordered porridge when in scotland...now that was a shock, blluuaaeerr not a fan of salty oats

Coarse (pinhead) oatmeal, cooked from cold overnight in the slow oven, generous helping of salt stirred in with a little cream on the side.

Hot, filling, savoury, rich, creamy, lovely nutty texture... the breakfast of champions...

P.S. Bet this is what Chris Hoy really has for breakfast... Bran Flakes don't come close... :-)

Cheers,
    W.

... on yer bike :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Apparently it takes 30 mins for the food you eat to start releasing energy in your body, so something to bare in mind if you eat then immediately jump on the bike for a 29 minute ride :)

Personally its no breakfast for me, instead I have a no-carb protein shake and a cup of tea when I get to the office. Keeps me full until lunch.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    linsen wrote:
    Mmm porridge with defrosted frozen summer fruits and maple syrup.
    Make some flapjack and have a piece when you get to work too.
    My breakfast is: 1 1/2 pints of coffee, a coffee at work, a mid morning coffee a sandwich, something baked and a caffinated drink for lunch and an early afternoon coffee, and a large dinner.

I see nothing wrong with this, and it is recommended by olympic athletes; FACT.