Earphones

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Any recommendations on good earphones to use with an MP3 player while commuting? I'm after something that stays in the ear a bit better than standard earphones (Apple ones in my case), and I really want something with an inline volume control. Clips that go around the ears, band around the neck, earbuds that mould to the ear...I'll try anything/

I got my replacement Nano yesterday (last one stolen) and the volume on it is pretty low (EU regs apparently)...used it this morning and really struggled to hear a podcast I had downloaded, and that was on full volume....any sugggestions?

Not a debate on whether you should or shouldn't listen to music while riding!

TIA.

Comments

• I use these Sennheiser ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000S8EUNM/r ... B000S8EUNM

They work a treat on my commute; you can hear the music really clearly yet they still don't block out all traffic noise
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i love my etymotics, but i wouldn't want to use them on the bike....you can't hear anything else other than what is playing, even at lower than normal volumes...but i guess you do the one ear thing?

They do take a bit of getting used to as it feels like they go all the way into the brain!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    I find that smaller ones stay in the ear better so theres no need for anything fancy. For me it's sennheiser cx300. I believe the cx500 comes with volume control.

As for the volume, have you tried increasing it within itunes under options? It can be changed, track by by track, up to double volume. Also check the volume limit under settings on the ipod itself (mine came preset quite low).
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I got some running headphones a couple of months back. I think the model is MX85 (pics online seem correct) as they are waterproof and don't fall out when running or cycling once in.

I only wear one when on the road so I didn't want a set that had a neckband, and whilst they seem an odd shape they seem to stay in.

No inline volume though (I've found in the past that is a pain as it gets snagged or moves anyway). Volume-wise they block out enough noise, but aren't noise cancelling.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    They work a treat on my commute; you can hear the music really clearly yet they still don't block out all traffic noise
    +1

Get much less of the irritating wind noise with these than you do with other earbuds. Means you can actually have the volume much lower and still hear both what you playing and the noise of your surroundings.

Mike
  • essex-commuter
    King Donut wrote:

As for the volume, have you tried increasing it within itunes under options? It can be changed, track by by track, up to double volume. Also check the volume limit under settings on the ipod itself (mine came preset quite low).

I have the volume limit on the Nano set to maximum. I load my Nano manually by dragging and dropping in Itunes...if I manually increase the volume track by track (by 'Get Info' you mean?) do I then have to delete and reload my device?
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    King Donut wrote:

I have the volume limit on the Nano set to maximum. I load my Nano manually by dragging and dropping in Itunes...if I manually increase the volume track by track (by 'Get Info' you mean?) do I then have to delete and reload my device?

Yeah 'Get Info' that's what I mean (was trying to remember the exact wording!). You don't need to reload your nano - you simply change the tracks that are already on it (as opposed to the tracks that are in your itunes library) when you have it connected to itunes. And obviously you can do all tracks at once.
  • essex-commuter
    King Donut wrote:

Yeah 'Get Info' that's what I mean (was trying to remember the exact wording!). You don't need to reload your nano - you simply change the tracks that are already on it (as opposed to the tracks that are in your itunes library) when you have it connected to itunes. And obviously you can do all tracks at once.

I only remembered it becasue I was looking at all the settings last night! I'm with you, change it on the device not 'my music' on the PC...I'll try that tonight, thank you!

So it seems ear canal buds might be the way to go, think that will help cancel out some wind noise anyway which is the main problem. I have some that came with my Blackberry Bold at home, I will try them tonight...I seem to remember I could hear myself breath when I had them in though! If they work OK on the bike I will invest in some CX500's I think, I like the volume control nearby.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.
  • essex-commuter
    The problem was my earphones! I've just tried my 'ear canal' Blackberry ones and OMG what a difference! Have just ordered some Sennheiser CX400's from Amazon for £18, can't wait for them to arrive!

Thanks for the recommendations.

:lol:
  • ++ ipod volume ??

download euPOD Pro

works well

:D
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    Shure earphones rock for me.
    have a set of SE115's and an old backup set of SE110's.

if you use them properly it means that they actually go down into your ear canal.
    they stop 95% of all sound getting through which might be an issue for some cyclists who prefer to have at least some sound coming through.

the other problem is that Shure's are not cheap - you are looking at £30-£40 at least.

Be careful with Senny's - there are shedloads of fakes about.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I use SkullCandy head phones. I can;t abide earphones, cause me no end of grief. So I have a lovely pink pair of SkullCandys :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have some klipsch image S4's yeah they are a bit more expensive but have great bass response, fit well and have a great balanced sound that doesn't compromise the top end and mid range for bass.

I used to listen to music on my canal towpath commute into Birmingham when I lived there last year but I am really not sure about even having one ear in and on low on my commute into the centre of the city
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    bd12mz wrote:

if you use them properly it means that they actually go down into your ear canal.
    they stop 95% of all sound getting through which might be an issue for some cyclists who prefer to have at least some sound coming through.

the other problem is that Shure's are not cheap - you are looking at £30-£40 at least.

I use the same two pairs!
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I recently changed from a set of JVC in ear jobbies to the Sennheiser CX400s. Very impressed 8)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ear canal headphones are freaking dangerous on a bike. The best ones to go for are PMX80 which are waterproof and designed to hang on. When I do ride the two miles to work on the quiet route these are the ones I use as they let me listen for traffic noise.

Low low volumes otherwise its hearing damage and person damage.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Pokerface wrote:
    bd12mz wrote:

I use the same two pairs!

I god some se110's as a replacement for some e2c's fantastic buds, wuldn't want to use them on the bike though, I can barely hear my drums with them in.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • essex-commuter
    Well the Sennheiser CX400's were delivered. They sound absolutely fantastic...but despite having half a dozen sets of different size buds I don't find them comfortable...gutted.

I'm going to stick with my Blackberry ones so if anyone is interested in 400's, complete with volume control, bag of different size ear buds, wire winder and a smart little bag to keep them in...£12 posted.

Thanks for all the replies though!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    bd12mz wrote:

I upgraded to Shure EC3's from EC2's both are excellent to activities as the wire goes over the ear so they wont just pop out if you get a slight tug on it.

Quality is ace as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14