Good Friday Racing - Castle Combe Circuit

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
I fancy racing this (4th cat) as my 1st race in about 20 years, anyone know what time I need to be there and what the cost of entry is?

Oh and I'm a fat unfit 36 year old, so how many laps will I manage before I get dropped :oops:
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    tenner in advance or 15 on the day.4th cats go at 12.30 i think, so get there before 12 atleast
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    I'm at a similar age/level as JesseD and might consider Castle Combe Cat 4 as my first race experience. Where can I find out more about these races (formats, rules etc...)?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    It's not a bad place for a first race. Dead flat, not too tight but can be a bit exposed at times. Personally I always hated racing there but I just don't like that type of circuit.
  • JesseD
    I am looking forward to it, from memory of riding around there there are no real corners to sprint out of, my only concern is the pace, I have visions of being dumped out of the back of the bunch on the neutralised lap :D
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Westerberg wrote:
    Where can I find out more about these races (formats, rules etc...)?
    All on the BC website - see event listing here
  • acidstrato
    JesseD wrote:
    I am looking forward to it, from memory of riding around there there are no real corners to sprint out of, my only concern is the pace, I have visions of being dumped out of the back of the bunch on the neutralised lap :D

be wery, there will be sprints/attacks but pace shouldnt be too bad for the main bunch atleast until the end, ofcourse thats relative to what your comfortable pace happens to be. nobody at the back of the bunch for the first few laps will be towards the front at the finish thats for sure. its only 25miles after all.
  • JesseD
    It's my 1st race in 20 years so if I finish in the bunch I'll be happy. :)
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    I'll see you on the start line!

I'll be the one quietly praying...
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • denep
    denep Posts: 1
    Your not 36 Jesse.

I'm up for this wa going to ask if you fancied it, the racing that is.

Happy to drive as I have the racks on the roof.
  • JesseD
    Mate I'm 37 in a couple of months, almost a vet, I wouldn't mind but the vets don't go any slower.

If you fancy a ride on the weekend we can have a chat about transport then, I think Bennyboy might come down and race as well as Dave from the shop (thats my lead out train sorted then :D ) Seriously though I'm hoping it should be a good laugh.
  • MRadd
    Lead out train.... If you fancy a bit of an alliance, I could be game for that. Currently riding on my tod could do with some support! Need some points this year! Can't sit in 4th any longer... 8)

Let me know! (sorry if jumping in too much here...)

• JesseD
    MRadd wrote:
    Lead out train.... If you fancy a bit of an alliance, I could be game for that. Currently riding on my tod could do with some support! Need some points this year! Can't sit in 4th any longer... 8)

Let me know! (sorry if jumping in too much here...)

Ha ha, I'll be lucky to survive the opening lap behind the lead car, you're more than welcome to join the fun though, if I can help I will (unless I am up there in the sprint :wink:)
  • MRadd
    Ha, you'll survive... at least that first lap.

I'll be the idiot on a prolite, with a white LAS helmet.

• Been a while since I posted here. This is going to be my first RR in 19 years, apart from a lack of fitness my worry is the rain - 120 riders going at it from the gun in the wet, crash city! Think I might use my winter bike for this one!
  • MRadd
    I spoke to Jacqui (the organiser) yesterday. Only about 60 people have signed up so far. They aren't expecting many on the day! Last time I was there there was about 50 racers in 4th cat... But they lumped us in with the 3rd's so ended up being a bunch of 100! And the akwardness of not being able to tell who was 4th and who was 3rd was a pain.

• MRadd wrote:
    I spoke to Jacqui (the organiser) yesterday. Only about 60 people have signed up so far. They aren't expecting many on the day! Last time I was there there was about 50 racers in 4th cat... But they lumped us in with the 3rd's so ended up being a bunch of 100! And the akwardness of not being able to tell who was 4th and who was 3rd was a pain.[/quote]

Isn't the ever increasing gap a sufficiently big clue :wink:
  • acidstrato
    are 100milers still going?

got an email through the other day and there werent many other email addresses on it so its not looking over crowded at the moment

hope current weather at this exact second shows up friday
  • JesseD
    it's forecast to pi55 down :(

Still it'll be a laugh if nothing else
  • acidstrato wrote:
    are 100milers still going?

got an email through the other day and there werent many other email addresses on it so its not looking over crowded at the moment

hope current weather at this exact second shows up friday

I believe so, I ride for Pontypool RCC these days, such is the folly of choosing a forum name based on your current club. Which one are you in?

Forecast is pants - think i'll bring the winter bike with mudguards and wear a fancy dress outfit....
  • acidstrato
    i'm not riding with any club right now, I was gonna join one of the cardiff lot but cant be arsed with the travelling there yet.

weather is looking miserable
  • JesseD
    Yep, I've cleaned my bike and everything, not sure why as it will be stinking within 30 seconds tomorrow!

What CAT is everyone racing tomorrow?
  • acidstrato wrote:
    i'm not riding with any club right now, I was gonna join one of the cardiff lot but cant be arsed with the travelling there yet.

weather is looking miserable

whereabouts do you live? There are plenty of non Cardiff based clubs with a good size and good riders regularly racing.
  • acidstrato
    near chepstow so not many local, may look at phoenix in the summer, they dont seem to do alot for the rest of the year
  • I'm not sure there is anyone left in the Phoenix! The last few members have defected to Cmwcarn and Ponty. Our club 10 is in Usk every Tuesday night at Llancayo, have a good turnout with around 20 riders racing regularly at TT and RR, plus a winter weekly track session. You're welcome to come along anaytime:

http://www.pontypoolrcc.co.uk/About-us.php
  • MRadd
    Own up! Who got dropped an ended up in the chase group at the back in the 4th cat race??

I did... sadly. Mad a stupid error of sitting on a right newbie's tail and before I knew it after about lap 3 after the 2nd chicane, I was off the back with 2 Corinium riders for company.

Tactically stupid is me!

I feel we chased valiently... but got caught around the last corner.

Anyone else notice that the laps seemed a little odd? I think the leaders did 1 more than they should've!

• Man I had an absolute meltdown. Got dropped twice and gave up with 8 laps to go!!!!
    Jesus, it was my second race ever but 1st race this year. Need to do a LOT more training!

PS Feel like Cr*p
  • I was probably the 'newbie' that MRadd describes.. Ha Ha
  • What crap weather, and disappointed to get dropped off the back after a lap and a half. Did a few laps with a small group of 9 in a second "chase group" which was sort of fun, got lapped by the bunch and then finished the last 3-4 laps on my own. Spent way too uch time out on the edge of the bunch at the start so had wasted so much effort, and then just not reacting quicke enough to the gaps. Still, I finished so a good hour or sos training ride!
  • MRadd
    I was probably the 'newbie' that MRadd describes.. Ha Ha

Git... hehe... Pity you gave up mate. If you'd have held on with the chase bunch, we managed to finish just after we were lapped!

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well done Steve :D
    I havent raced yet and don't intend to until its warmer :D
    I much prefer to get longer rides in at the moment to build endurance, then do a few track rides to get speed up, then race. Trouble with racing at this stage is it is like paying £15 to train for short miles and not be competative, bit expensive :D
    Once I feel like I am going well enough to have a go off the front or to contest sprints I will have a go.
    Will be in wales next week or week after for go onthe track and maybe road ride over the bwlch or rhigos weather permitting.