Dropout protector

anet367
anet367 Posts: 39
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

After having my bike stolen I now have a nice new bike which I don't really want stolen again, therefore I plan to remove the front wheel when I park this at work (where it was stolen from). I don't want the dropouts to get damaged from contact with the ground and was therefore wondering if you can buy protectors for this, or if anyone has any handy ideas for this.

Thanks

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Sorry to hear about your last ride.

I don't know of any simple product to protect your fork lowers. Only thing that spring to mind is recycling some old plastic takeaway cartons or something. Cheap, plentiful and 'green'.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You could get a bolt on QR like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26621

TBH if a theif wants it tey will take it. They will probably just take the back wheel off as well and nick the frame, forks etc.

Its the sad truth :cry:
  • If they're bolt-through drop-outs, you could try just sticking some normal frame protector patches undernieth. Like the ones you use to stop cable-rub.

Other than that, maybe cut down an old tyre and use a strip of it to rest the drop-outs on?
  • ian_worby
    ian_worby Posts: 331
    Got to your local bike shop, they'll have loads of the plastic fork protectors which are on the bikes when they're boxed up.

They're only going to chuck the away/recycle them
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont bother with the bike for going to work on. keep it safe at home and get a RAT bike from the Police auctions or some old Part x at the LBS.

the thieves will be on the look out for your replacement with or without a front wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ^what nick says

if you can't afford to lose it, don't leave it outside. QED get some piece of sh1t rat bike for running around town on (making a really nice bike look ratty is an art in itself, but can become an obsession....)

keep your cherished rides safe at home.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Even rat bikes get nicked. I got a frame and forks from a ditch a pair of wheels from the tip Then quadrupled the value of the bike by fitting some cheap ebay tyres and tubes. the whole bike was worth at least £12. Still it got nicked, though I probably didnt help myself by using a lock that came free with a magazine.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bomberesque
    stubs wrote:
    Even rat bikes get nicked. I got a frame and forks from a ditch a pair of wheels from the tip Then quadrupled the value of the bike by fitting some cheap ebay tyres and tubes. the whole bike was worth at least £12. Still it got nicked, though I probably didnt help myself by using a lock that came free with a magazine.

yes, but you lost 12 quid, rather than a grand

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Listen to Nick
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

yes, but you lost 12 quid, rather than a grand

Exactly, any bike is in danger of getting pinched. Anyone foolish enough to leave a valuable bike where there is a chance of it getting pinched deserves to lose it in my opinion. You wouldnt chain a Rolex watch to a lamppost with a £20 lock and expect it to be there 8 hours later.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is a great lesson to be learnt in the MTB stolen section.

I feel for the previous owners of the bikes but WTF.
    Claud Butler Cape Wrath (Black with yellow trim) Hard tail and my Focus Super Bud (red and black) full sus! Stolen after a superb weekend at Innerleithen, home to Aberdeen, bikes left locked on roof as was taking them to bike hospital for some repairs first thing this morning...... GONE! As was the bike rack / rails they were still locked onto! Took me ages to save for both these bikes! Gutted!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    stubs wrote:
    You wouldnt chain a Rolex watch to a lamppost with a £20 lock and expect it to be there 8 hours later.

well, you might, rolex are rubbish :wink:

but no you're right, it's just too easy to undo the strap

• stubs
    Even a lock is no protection. At University I occasionally see an all white Charge fixie chained to a bike rack. This bike must be worth over a grand it is dripping with top notch kit and the pillock of an owner just puts a lock through the frame. If i was so inclined I could have that bike in about 30 seconds by cutting through the frame with a hacksaw. Okay i have knackered the frame but I bet I could raise a few hundred flogging the parts on e-bay.