thicko me - making gpx from google maps

weeve
weeve Posts: 393
sorry to all ..sure its been asked a million times but not obvious when I search (its late sunday night here in Amsterdam.

I want to use google maps here in NL to make a file to cycle round the big "inland" sea and not get lost. Ive 450t oregon which has a euro base map but isnt routable I dont think ... anyone tell an ignoramus how to do it?..and then up load it many thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Google maps based apps make unreliable .gpx files. Stick to .tcx files or make the .gpx files in Mapsource.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Google maps based apps make unreliable .gpx files. Stick to .tcx files or make the .gpx files in Mapsource.

They've always worked fine for me and I've been using them for years. I usually use .gpx tracks.

Maybe you actually mean .gpx routes as opposed to .gpx files?
    More problems but still living....
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    soi tried this... seems that only half the route i plotted went across...do I use gpx routes or gpx tracks? ...tcx doesnt seem to transfer ? thanks
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    There are trackpoint and waypoint limits on your GPS. Not sure what the waypoint limit is, but for .gpx tracks the maximum for a single track is 500 points on my Garmin Etrex. You can reduce the number of trackpoints using bikehike (using the options), but for long rides its better to split the track in two (you can import many tracks into your GPS, but each track can have no more than 500 trackpoints).

I find that 500 trackpoints is ok for up to about 100km - for longer rides I'll split the track.
    More problems but still living....