Fowlmead SERRL Cat4 - Video from March 13th

ridin8ude
ridin8ude Posts: 88
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Captured the last lap of the SERRL race at Fowlmead on Saturday March 13th.

No fancy music or editing but I think worthy to share anyway.

Have a look
http://vholdr.com/users/ridin8ude

Comments

• blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Very good - that guy in green and yellow looked a bit dangerous - he didn't seem to be able to hold his line.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    That's really cool. Thanks for posting.

I was in the 1/2/3.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    nice vid.thx
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2010
    I was no 20, who got shoved off the left hand side by no 51. Didn't know what number did it until I saw the vid, thanks for posting. back on April 3rd.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    dmclite wrote:
    I was no 20, who got shoved off the left hand side by no 51, the twatt. He couldn't hold his line all fcukin' race. Didn't know what number did it until I saw the vid, thanks for posting. back on April 3rd.

The problem started when your team mate (no 21) cut across left to overtake and then forced two other riders left and no 51 went left to avoid them.
  • Anonymous
    What camera is that? It's good quality!
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    NapoleonD wrote:
    What camera is that? It's good quality!

I'd imagine it's this one: http://vholdr.com/contourhd/features

Only two options, the normal ContourHD and the 1080p version.

Would be good to know which of those two you have ridin8ude?
  • ridin8ude
    All,
    Thanks for the positive feedback. Had an ozzie friend tell me that helmet cams are illegal to wear while racing. Trying to figure out if the same is the case here otherwise I'll try to record more races.

The model that I have is ContourHD 1080P.
    This video was recorded at 1280x960 (tall).
    The other model highest resolution is 1280x720 which is still really good, but just a bit flatter and wider view.

On a sunnier day it's even better quality.

My problem is that it costs 300 greenbacks but also costs 300 squids.
    Definitely worthwhile to pick up if you are in the states!

It can record non-stop for about 4 hours with the rechargable battery and a 16gb memory card.
  • Anonymous
    blackhands wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    I was no 20, who got shoved off the left hand side by no 51, the twatt. He couldn't hold his line all fcukin' race. Didn't know what number did it until I saw the vid, thanks for posting. back on April 3rd.

The problem started when your team mate (no 21) cut across left to overtake and then forced two other riders left and no 51 went left to avoid them.

Not how I saw it, look how far 51 went without checking left, plus all the cat 3's who had been blown were all over the track in the last half lap of the race, they didn't like the cat 4's catching them and then trying to pass, as we knew we couldn't latch on to them, as per rules.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    i'll stick to TTing if thats the standard of riding in cat3/4 racing!
  • Anonymous
    simon t wrote:
    i'll stick to TTing if thats the standard of riding in cat3/4 racing!

That really was a bad example. The race was supposed to be 1/2 and 3/4 but was re-classified on the day as 1/2/3 and then a seperate 4 race, so the cat 3's were caught out and put in with the faster boys. The fast group started first, but we caught the majority of the 3's with half a lap to go who were not happy with us going past so it ended up a real gang-fcuk.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    thanks for explaining that.great video BTW
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Christ, there was some shocking riding there.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Anonymous
    phil s wrote:
    Christ, there was some shocking riding there.

Tell me about it, I shouted myself hoarse, not good.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Great film - I love headcam movies, and yours does show some interesting moments. Best advice is to ride nearer the front, where the stronger riders should be. Either way you could use the video evidence to support a protest!

Sorry for the minor digression, but do you rate the camera then? Is the CountourHD 1080p worth the extra 75 quid over the regular HD (200 quid)? Is it easy to use, start and stop recording - does it indicate when it is recording? Is a raw recording much better than the one posted on the VHoldR site?

The reason I ask is I am thinking about getting one as I am doing QBH and I want to get some on the bike and off the bike fotage of me and my mates, and I also fancy gettting some race footage from this season.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • ridin8ude
    Felgen,
    I have both the ContourHD 1080p and the GoPro HeroHD.
    Unfortunately the GoPro packed it in right away after purchase and it's off for RMA, but I love the chesty mount - it's a great perspective and really good for mountain biking.

As to the ContourHD versus ContourHD 1080p question.
    You need to be honest with yourself how you're going to use the video.
    If you're primarily going to upload video to the internet to share and watch then I don't really see a reason to get the 1080p. If you watch it at home on your tv or PC or make dvds for friends then the 1080p is worth while.

Having said that - the 960p video capture is my favorite as it gives a taller picture whereas the 720p is slightly wider but more narrow. Only the 1080p captures at 960p. Also I don't even use the 1080p setting, it uses too much storage and I prefer the camera view for the 960p setting.

Finally one of the marketing reasons to buy the 1080p when it was released was down to more user control of settings on the camera. That has since been made null as they did a firmware update for the ContourHD which gives it the same functionality.

The race video footage was captured in 960p.
    And remember that if you had a friend or way to get the camera from the states you can get the 1080p cheaper than the ContourHD costs here in the UK!
  • dmclite wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

Not how I saw it, look how far 51 went without checking left, plus all the cat 3's who had been blown were all over the track in the last half lap of the race, they didn't like the cat 4's catching them and then trying to pass, as we knew we couldn't latch on to them, as per rules.

Looks like it started with 21 moving left without looking, forcing the two rider to the left of him together, than 51 did seem to just swing out. Bad riding from 21 and 51 in my eyes.

The standard of lower cat group riding can be bad at times, always a good idea to either be at the front or just attack. Usually gets rid of the chaff.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Great video - really enjoyed it - always hard to call dodgy riding - riding elbow to elbow is probably something that should be practised more than it is - a lot of wobbles and crashes you see on these clips come from a bit of side to side contact.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Wow that looks like adrenline fueled stuff.I hope this next years hard training will bring me fit enough to try my witts at something like this.It does look quite scary though at times in that race with the closeness of the riders.
    How you stayed upright with the front to rear wheel tyre rubbing was quite something.
  • Anonymous
    It got a bit mental at the end, lots of grins though........ :D
  • ridin8ude
    I think it's worth pointing out that I posted this video because the last lap was crazy due to the 2 separate races Cat3 & 4 came together at the worst possible time.
    This made it more exciting (if dangerous) but means it has some action in it and isn't boring to watch.

The other 17 laps and 1.25 hours of racing were totally uneventful.
    There were a few attacks but no dangerous riding or incidents of any sort.

I'll be back at Fowlmead on the 3rd of April and capture another video and see if it's just as hectic or not! :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    I think the race on the 3rd will be a seperate 1/2 and 3/4 hopefully no more confusion.
    Look out for me, I am no 2, riding in a medway velo jersey on a litespeed. :wink: