New riders around Maidenhead?

Padi R
Padi R Posts: 59
edited January 2012 in MTB rides
Anyone in the Maidenhead area interested in Sunday morning rides - 20-30 miles starting and finishing in Maidenhead, XCish rides with a few good hills (up and down), usually on a loop into the Chilterns? Our numbers are down, and it seems like there's only roadies around here these days (no offense to any out there, but we could do with some off-roaders to get our numbers up).

Comments

• Hi Padi ,
    I'm over in cookham . We go out most thursday nights 2 - 3 hours , alas i have no idea what that might be in miles !
    Always looking for something to do on a sunday though.
    I'm 40 & got a battered old trek. Maybe i could tag along with your gang one sunday. If i can't keep up , don't wait , i can find my own way back !
    Stan
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Hi I'm Maidenhead & interested in this. 30miles scares me a bit but nearer 20 I dont see as being a problem.
    Usually we are at swinley sundays mornings for 15 miles or so but always on the lookout for other things to do.
    Im also nearly 40
    Do you have a gpx file of a usual route so I can take a look?
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • hi, i'd be up for doing something new around there, i'm in reading, normal stomping ground swinley, south oxon, not the fittest but ...........

m cozzy of pete ollie cal fame??
  • Padi R
    Good to hear from you. I'm 42 and Gordon's a few years older than that - age and ability shouldn't put you off, as we won't be hammering it (and don't let the miles scare you). Route-wise, looking at starting at Maidenhead, over Hambleden Lock, Nettlebed, Henley and back - a few climbs and downhills, but we don't leave anyone struggling and are quite happy to change the route depending on what people are up for. Start is 8.45 ish Sunday mornings, from Tittle Row stores at the end of Altwood Rd (SL6 4QB for the Satnavvers). Look forward to meeting up - any questions, drop me a line.
  • yeah im up for that, off to to the lakes for a few days but maybe next sunday
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I'll probably be up for that this this Sunday or in 2 weeks time, sounds like I'll probably be the youngest there though :D My dad would also be coming. How many others are coming?
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Stan Leigh
    Stan Leigh Posts: 168
    Hi Padi & fellow responees ,

I'm free next sunday , so i'm hoping for half decent weather , so we can meet up .

Can't make this weekend as i'm on one of those Evans organised rides up in Watlington on saturday , then stupidly agreed to a ride on a ride in Hambledon sunday ( no i wouldn't normaly attempt 2 mega rides back to back ) :oops:

Who knows ? are paths might cross sunday ! See you soon - possibly ! Stan :wink:
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Im moving from Reading to Wycombe in a couple of weeks time and was hoping to find a few people to head out on regular XC rides with over that way. Cant make this weekend but will try and tag along in the future if I may.
  • Padi R
    If you could drop a line if you can make it this Sunday, so we know who to expect, that'd be great. If you can't make it this week, look forward to riding with you when you can, same start time and meeting point the following Sunday.

Padi
  • m_cozzy
    A last minute drinking expedition in emsworth tonight scuppers my plans, but if its a regular meet then I would certainly hope to turn up another weekend.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Didn't make it this week :( but I'll definitely be up in two weeks time.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Padi R
    8.45 tomorrow, from Tittle Row stores (end of Altwood, opposite the tile shop) if anyone's up for it - route to be decided, but it won't be an epic: weatherwise, looks spot on.
  • Padi R
    If anyone was going to be coming out tomorrow for the Maidenhead ride, could you let me know here. Did have other plans and weather not looking great for tomorrow but if you wanted a shortish local run, I'll be checking forum. Otherwise, definitely out next week and look forward to meeting up.
  • Padi R
    If anyone was going to be coming out tomorrow for the Maidenhead ride, could you let me know here. Did have other plans and weather not looking great for tomorrow but if you wanted a shortish local run, I'll be checking forum. Otherwise, definitely out next week and look forward to meeting up.
  • Loads of us ride around the Chilterns regularly. www.summitmtb.co.uk
  • Padi R
    Thanks - looks cool. In the meantime, any Maidonians, out tomorrow for a shorter ride, usual start time and place (see first post).
  • msw1976
    msw1976 Posts: 8
    Hi guys,

I've just moved to the area and will try and find you this Sunday 08:45 ish - assuming it's Sunday's when you get out.

Matt.
  • Padi R
    Hi - Gordon who usually leads the rides isn't out tomorrow, but I can do a local loop to give you an idea of the routes. Sorry not to reply earlier, been away for the w/e.

Padi
  • Padi R
    8.30 start tomorrow for anyone who wants to come along, usual start point and route as above for details.
  • msw1976
    msw1976 Posts: 8
    I plan on being there tomorrow. 8:30-8:45.

Matt.
  • Padi R
    Just going to be me tomorrow, Gordon's not round for 3 weeks, but see you there. No route planned but I'll see you there.
  • Stan Leigh
    Sorry Padi , going to give it a miss this morning . Don't mind showers & drizzle , but this is just too much today . I will try to catch up with you again. Stan :cry:
  • m_cozzy
    Ditto for me also. Our main surrey hills ride was pushed back to monday so I had hoped it would not be to bad today for a nice local loop, but it horrible out there :(
  • Stan Leigh
    I'll be gutted if the sun comes out in half an hour !

While i know your watching this thead , there's a local ride wednesday evening . I know little about it other than - Seven Stars Knowl Hill 6pm . Sounds early enough to get away without lights ?

All welcome. Stan
  • Padi R
    Don't blame you - I only went out for a short ride last Sunday, and then only on the off chance if someone new did turn up (mind you I always reckon the most challenging part of the Sunday morning ride is the short distance from bed to shed): absolutely horrible morning, but arrangements same for this Sunday, and hopefully better weather this time!

Missed Knowl Hill, but if it's a regular event I'd be keen (don't know if I could be there for 6 though, with my current drive from work). Can't do the Thursday evening run for the foreseeable, with regular commitment then, but definitely keen to get out more, and get more people out too.

Padi
  • m_cozzy
    Crikey, I may even make this ride Sunday if the weather is ok.
    The main swinley jaunt is now saturday this week, the full bouncer is out of action so I think a gentle(!) saunter round the bridleways of Maidenhead on the hardtail may well be in order :)
  • Stan Leigh
    Me too ! Me too ! 8)
  • Padi R
    8) - Should be good, forecast looks OK, so 8.45ish Tittle Row tomorrow: ride to be decided, Gordon (regular ride-planner) is back and'll be able to sort a route to suit, so looking forward to meeting up then.
  • Padi R
    Not around this weekend, (off to Riva) but leaving you in Gordon's capable hands. Usual start point, Sunday, 8.30 start this week, all welcome. Have a good one. :)
  • Stan Leigh
    While i'm on line , i know i can't do this sunday ( 30th ) . I'll check what your up to the following weekend nearer the time as i think it's bank holiday , don't know if that effects anybodies plans.

Cheers Stan 8)