Swinley Session - Sunday 21st March

TrailDogMTB
TrailDogMTB Posts: 41
edited March 2010 in MTB rides
Another Sunday session in Swinley Forrest (the Lookout) on Sunday at around 08:30.

We will be in the car park (Coachpark side), black BMW with bikes mounted on top (A Black Giant and a blue GT)

Anyone welcome to join us, especially if you happen to know your way around!

Ryan

[www.traildogsmtb.co.uk]

Comments

• GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    Going to be five of us going on Sunday, first time so no Idea where to go apart from the maps I've found on the internet, due there at about 9, so if you're still faffing we might catch you.
  • There is a good chance that we will still be around then, may go for a bit of an early tour then head back to the car park for 9am to see if your about.
    Would be interested in getting your view on the Yeti also, as I've been looking for one recently...

Ryan
  • GhallTN6
    Nice one, there will be five of us, I've got a black A3, and we'll be riding a silver Yeti, Black Scott Genius, and you can't miss the green Commencal and orange five.. in orange!!

Graeme
  • Look forward to it.

Ill be on a Giant XTC advanced...(my race bike) ...................the search continues for the full bounce hard hitting trail bike......
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Not to sure if its good idea to ride Swinley while its raining, but what's your pace? Don't want to drag people around , but guess need to vary rides between Surrey and Swinley.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Apparently Saturday is going to be wet, Sunday should be dry with sunny intervals

http://www.traildogsmtb.co.uk/page001.html

Still going to be sticky though...
  • popstar
    Join us in Surrey hills instead? Trails there dry in record times compared to swinley.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Would love to as I've not actually been there before and its about the same distance, but it will have to be another time, meeting others local to Swinley tomorrow..

Ryan
  • popstar
    Hmmm, good luck at Swinley. Like their autobahn style trails ... when its dry, it does flow nicely down there. Hope to meet you on rides too.

• othello
    othello Posts: 577
    So, how was Swinley at the weekend? Sunday was good weather and interested to see how the trails had dried out (if at all)?

How was parking? If the car park gets full where do people go (Coral Reef car park?)
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • The weather was good, the trails were still pretty damm muddy as expected but not at all unridable. I think that all had a ruddy good session with most of the expert area runs usable.

The parking was fine for me, however I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I arrived at 07:35 for an early session, (4th car in the Coach park side!)

Ryan
  • CrazySmudge
    CrazySmudge Posts: 137
    expert area? which bit is that?

did you try the tank tracks?
  • Whilst I was there we did some downhill bits from the expert area, I think its call ski slope?.
    Also did the Labyrinth and Baby maker....

Dont think that we did tank tracks (is that the one that starts on the right hand side of the concrete blocks??)

Ryan
  • CrazySmudge
    thats the one - it carries on through the trees and onto the snake or if you cycling towards the concrete blocks then it carries onto more tank tracks - one has a bridge or the other one ends up by the half pipe.

aahh happy memories....

did you try the wall - steep climb to the club hut/start of the babymaker?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The bit with the bridge over the tree I know as The Stickler. The other side of the fire road I know as Tank Traps (with the gully winding / pipe kind of bit at the end). Though both sections are also known as Tank Traps.

Personally I feel it's best riding towards the traps because the gully works best in that direction, but like everywhere in Swinley, there are no directions to the tracks.

P.S. There are more tank trap concrete blocks over by one of the entrances to Seagulls (probably known by a load of other names). That's the long sweeping up and down section at the bottom left of Swinley.

opencyclemap.org has some of the trails marked. I've got some in my NST tracks too but not with names.
  • CrazySmudge
    Just looking forward to the tracks drying out - want to go biking not swimming!!
  • I think that I did the wall last time, steep and loose, horrible firetrack climb, if you are standing at the top facing the start of the babymaker, its on your right?

I will have to search out these tank traps next time around....still very much exploring

Ryan
  • CrazySmudge
    let me know when your next down at swinley and will try to show you the firetracks if you want to - need to get the bike out for a blast ready for spring.

Cant do this weekend or easter - my wifes 30th bash and away for easter break. I need to read the new article on the front page on bike life balance!!
  • GhallTN6
    Ryan,

Good ride on Sunday, cheers for letting us tag along, we thought considering the weather previously the trails were pretty well drained, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. we'll probably be back up in May due to other stuff we've got going on so be good to catch up again.

Graeme
  • Hi Graeme

Was good to meet you and the guys, glad you enjoyed it, hopefully in May I will have a better idea of the layout and will be able to give you a proper tour..!

And if you ever fancy a session inTunnel Hill or Borden let me know.

Ryan
  • Hi Crazy Smudge

Thanks for the offer, would like to take you up on that!
    We will next be there on the 4th and the 11th of April , but I'll post something a little closer to the date.

Cheers
    Ryan
  • CrazySmudge
    11th sounds a winner - let me nearer the time if confirmed.

need to start exercising!!