Bike advice for a noob...

Orleandrew
Orleandrew Posts: 61
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Am just about to buy my first bike since school days, going to be used mainly for commuting to work (20m round trip, about 50/50 roads and cycle paths). I've got a budget of around £300-400, and apart from having decided to go for a hybrid, I don't know what else to look out for. Can anyone give any pointers?

I've been eyeing these three, any advice as to which to go for, or even recommednations of something else entirely, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Comments

• Welcome to the world of the Commuting Forum, say good bye to productivity and hello to doing extra miles to get on up the Stats board (http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/Default.aspx) :-)

The price range you give is a good starting point for a decent commuter (I'd always say go above £300 if you can afford it). Looking at the three you show, I would prefer the Specialized, because I think (my opinion and my mtb background) that suspension forks are overkill on a commuter, even if you're on paths - they just make it heavier. Amazed how light the Specialized is.

Hope that helps :-)
  • Thanks for the reply. I'd thought the same about forks, but I'm based in Luxembourg so don't have a massive amount of choice. And don't really want to blow a chunk of my budget on postage.