Nooby first race question

Hunterg46
Hunterg46 Posts: 133
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
I have my first race next week at the Goodwood circuit, and being my first race I have no Idea what to do. So what sort of stuff do you need to bring along (licenses etc?) and where/what do you do when ya arrive?

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    edited March 2010
    Well, get there in plenty of time. I like to be at the race 45 mins before it starts though more often than not I am late.

Take your licence to the sign on desk, and well, sign on and pay entry your entry fee if you haven't paid to enter online. Put numbers on your jersey.

Check your bike over one last time (though you should have done this before you even leave home)... skewers tight?, tyre pressures right? nothing loose?

Warm up - ride a lap or two. Take a leak

Take off outer layers.

Get to the start line in reasonable time. Don't be at the back even if its your first race as you may get dropped, and trouble always seems to brew at the back.

Enjoy! Its a right laugh even if you get smoked.

p.s. May be there myself, though in the E/1/2 getting my ass handed to me.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    edited March 2010
    oops pesky double post!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Well I've done one race so expect better replies
    Take your license you will need it for signing on.
    When you arrive have a look for signing on (just ask someone)
    You'll put some details on a sheet and get a race number(s) that you pin to your top
    Have a look a t the course and get a couple of laps in if you can
    Then just make sure you get warmed up prior to the start
    That's it really
    and good luck
  • Hunterg46
    Okay thanks alot, and although my race is only 10miles long, is it worth bringing energy bars/drinks?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hunterg46 wrote:
    Okay thanks alot, and although my race is only 10miles long, is it worth bringing energy bars/drinks?

Depends how long before you arrive/race you eat - but for a race that short - you will not need, nor have time to consume any energy bars. A full water bottle is a good idea - and I always aim to drink most of it before the start of the race. Once the race goes - there isn't much time to drink - not in a short one like that.

Have something in the car to drink and eat after the race.

Good luck!
  • Hunterg46
    Okay thanks for the advice!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Take some safety pins with you too, nothing worse than turning up to find there's no pins left! Also, make sure you have all the tools you are likely to need, a track pump (assuming you are getting there by car) and a spare tyre and tube in case you puncture on your warm up. If you have a spare set of wheels take those as it's far easier obviously. Personally I would get there well over an hour before especially for your first race. There's nothing worse than rushing before a race, I did it on my first race and ended up in a right panic. I then managed to unship my chain on the start line :oops: Fortunately it was a handicapped race on the road so I managed to jump in with the next group.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Hunterg46 wrote:

Is it a road race or a TT?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds more like a TT than a race, I know of no 10 mile races...

If it is a TT then get plenty of warming up done.

Then -

1 - Don't start out too hard.
    2 - If you start out too hard, remember point 1 for next time.
    3 - Always refer to rule 1
    4 - Make sure you have nothing left when you cross the line.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    sounds like the surrey league crits at Goodwood on 28th. If it's a youth race, it could very well be a 10 miler - the circuit is only 2 miles round anyway. Nice wide circuit, flat with plenty of room and good visibility...

I have fond memories of Goodwood - I scored my very first licence points there back in the early 90s.. ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    softlad wrote:
    sounds like the surrey league crits at Goodwood on 28th. If it's a youth race, it could very well be a 10 miler - the circuit is only 2 miles round anyway. Nice wide circuit, flat with plenty of room and good visibility...

I have fond memories of Goodwood - I scored my very first licence points there back in the early 90s.. ;)

Roger.

Whatever the race is, good luck and enjoy it!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    softlad wrote:

Could be a "Go Race". I did one a couple of weeks ago - and will again tomorrow. The one I did was 30 mins plus 3 laps. Worked out at around 13 miles.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The OP is 15 - it's a youth race hence short
  • Hunterg46
    Yeah im U16, hence why it has to be so short :)
  • softlad
    turn up, sign on (with licence), get changed, drink something, ride a couple of laps to warm up, line up, race... ;)

If you're still in the mix on the last lap, make sure you get near the front before you hit the chicane just before the finish (assuming the chicane is still there) - select a big gear and then once you're out of the chicane, put your head down and sprint....

Whenever I've been down there, the placings are usually decided on the basis of who enters the chicane first..
  • softlad wrote:
    turn up, sign on (with licence), get changed, drink something, ride a couple of laps to warm up, line up, race... ;)

If you're still in the mix on the last lap, make sure you get near the front before you hit the chicane just before the finish (assuming the chicane is still there) - select a big gear and then once you're out of the chicane, put your head down and sprint....

Whenever I've been down there, the placings are usually decided on the basis of who enters the chicane first..

No do not follow this advice! Unless you have eyes in the top of your head that is?

A rider in his first race sprinting with his head down? That has got to be everybody elses worse nightmare.
  • softlad

No do not follow this advice! Unless you have eyes in the top of your head that is?

A rider in his first race sprinting with his head down? That has got to be everybody elses worse nightmare.

you obviously didn't read my post properly fella - either that or you haven't been to Goodwood. The track is so wide after the chicane that you could ride to the finish with your eyes closed - providing of course you come out of the chicane in the top 10-15.

anyway, 'putting your head down' is just a figure of speech - of course he needs to be aware of where he's going..
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    LOL
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Always warm up longer/harder than you think. There's nothing worse than setting off, getting dropped because you feel crap, then suddenly feel like you're properly warmed up and feeling great, then crashing on due to pushing to hard trying to catch the bunch again. Believe me, I speak from experience. :lol:
  • Always warm up longer/harder than you think. There's nothing worse than setting off, getting dropped because you feel crap, then suddenly feel like you're properly warmed up and feeling great, then crashing on due to pushing to hard trying to catch the bunch again. Believe me, I speak from experience. :lol: