Sunglasses for narrow faces

thinbo
thinbo Posts: 93
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I seem to have a narrow face. I am a glasses wearer and have found it difficult finding frames that aren't too wide. My current ones are women's (I'm male!) as most men's seem to be too wide for me.

I wear contacts for cycling so don't need anything special in terms of being able to take a prescription.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest brands that seem to be narrower than others, or whether there are brands that have a narrow fit range. Several google searches and a look at wiggle/crc/evans etc have not given me any clues.

I'd ideally like something with changeable lenses so i can use them in all lighting conditions. Budget ideally under £60 but would consider double that if i felt i could wear them casually too.

Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem? Thanks in advance!
CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
Giant Defy 2 '09

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    bolle contour safety glasses.

bingo

done!
  • robmurr2000
    robmurr2000 Posts: 166
    +1 - just bought some last week.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Bret Hart wraparounds should do the trick.

3e0d1.jpg
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Oakley do an "asian fit" in some models which is for smaller heads, most models would be over budget though.
  • robmurr2000
    robmurr2000 Posts: 166
    I got some from here www.safetystock.co.uk/safety-glasses/bo ... y-glasses/
    Good fitting glasses,have a browse and see what you think.[/url]
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Rudy Rydon 2 have detachable lens designed for smaller faces. Definately wearable off the bike. Fantastic lenses.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Tifosi also do a range for slimmer faces. I have a couple of pairs, and find them really comfortable.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • thinbo
    Thanks for the replies!

Have just ordered a pair of the bolle contours, £7.20 inc delivery! I figured for that sort of price there's no way i can go wrong.

I'm just about old enough to remember who Bret Hart was :-D, reminded me of some sported by doc in Back to the Future 2, although I don't know how he can see through aluminium.
    marty_doc.jpg

will look into Rudy and Tifosi, thanks!
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • thinbo
    Pedro, I don't suppose you know any of the model names of the narrower Tifosi frames?
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Of course.

Tifosi Czar

Tifosi Envy

I have to admit, I do prefer the Envy, but that's just because I think they look cool.

Shop around, because they can usually be found for very reasonable prices.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • jwshale
    jwshale Posts: 13
    Thinbo, did you ever get those Bolles? How are they?
  • thinbo
    Just been for my first ride in them.

They fit very well, they're just about spot on for me in terms of width. With most glasses i can fit a couple of fingers between the frame and my temple on each side, with these i can't fit any. The lense coverage round the side of the face and down to the cheekbones is pretty good - I suppose a result of them being safety specs. They didn't mist up on me whilst moving, but did a bit when stopped. For the price you can't go wrong, i think they are ideal for cycling.

I've just got a pair with clear lenses at the moment, will probably order a tinted pair as it's starting to get brighter now
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • jwshale
    Awesome - thanks for the reply!

I may buy myself a pair, as I have endless problems with glasses being too wide...

Is there any chance you could do me a big favor and measure the width of the glasses - hinge-hinge? Then I can compare against a pair of glasses I have.

Thanks,

John
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Do these ONLY fit the slimmer faces?

What about a more normal or rounded face shape?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    ok - just ordered some smoke tinted ones. Are the yellow ESP versions good for low light? At £7 its worth taking a bit of a risk I guess?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • thinbo
    jwshale wrote:
    Awesome - thanks for the reply!

Is there any chance you could do me a big favor and measure the width of the glasses - hinge-hinge? Then I can compare against a pair of glasses I have.

John

will do mate, won't be until after the BH weekend though as I'm away.
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    They're 13.9cm hinge to hinge (in a straight line) - iro 20cm around the curve of the lens. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I am really thinking of ordering some, how long do they take to arrive? I do wear glasses but for riding I can do without as my prescription isnt that bad and do without when I wear sunglasses anyway
  • jwshale
    Thanks skyd0g

UPDATE:
    I did end up getting a pair of these - cheap off eBay. Sadly I can confirm that they were too big :(

In the meantime, I can recommend the Bolle Downdraft (if you can get hold of a pair) to people with narrow heads! I'm still not a huge fan of the Downdrafts and would really like some other lens choices (clear for evening cycling, polarized for rowing etc...) so if anyone has any suggestions...

EDIT:
    13.9cm actually seems quite large, given that my current glasses (Bolle Downdraft - the only pair that have fit me so far) are about 125mm if I measure between the two pins at the hinges.
    Maybe I'll just have to get some and see,,,

Picture:
    IMG_6042.JPG