Truvativ FireX Cranks

sailor74
sailor74 Posts: 48
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
removed my cranks the other day and didnt really take much notice of how they were installed before I did so.

I have now re-installed them and have noticed that the drive side crank arm doesn't butt up against the bb as it does with shimano, in fact there is a gap of maybe 4-5mm. It would appear that this actually correct as the crank spindle is too large to fit through the non-drive bb, it just seems odd to me and looks like there is little protection against water ingress.

from the instruction manual i have the correct number of spacers etc so i just wanted to see if other peoples cranks have the same gap.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What is your BB size? and how many spacers are you using?

the systems are different and the axle clamps onto the non drive side bearing.

have you tride tapping it home? as 5mm seems a bit "big".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • one spacer each side 68mm bb shell. Just found the following picture which i guess confirms that there should be a gap.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... X%26um%3D1
  • ive got the Fire X chainset.. on the standard GXP and my current hope Bb, the crankarm is a bit of a distance away form the bearing seal on the cup.. This is completely normal, just make sure that you have the axel through the BB properly..it helps with a light tap with a soft mallet, before tightening the bolt on the non-driveside...
  • sailor74 wrote:
    removed my cranks the other day and didnt really take much notice of how they were installed before I did so.

I have now re-installed them and have noticed that the drive side crank arm doesn't butt up against the bb as it does with shimano, in fact there is a gap of maybe 4-5mm. It would appear that this actually correct as the crank spindle is too large to fit through the non-drive bb, it just seems odd to me and looks like there is little protection against water ingress.

from the instruction manual i have the correct number of spacers etc so i just wanted to see if other peoples cranks have the same gap.

Have you had to adjust the front mech/changer? It will give you an indication of where the chainset was before you removed it.
  • monkeypants
    monkeypants Posts: 150
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having this issue too. I tapped the drive side crank so that's flush against the bearing (took a fair whack mind) but that's knocked the non-drive side bearing out of the cup slightly, do you folks think it'll be ok? The BB will need replacing in the next 100-200 miles so I'm not too bothered about longevity, I just don't want it to fail during use.
  • nicklouse
    sounds like you have set it up wrong.

there is no need to tap it just tighten up the bolt.

remove the cranks and push the bearing back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • monkeypants
    If I do that then there's a 5mm gap between the drive side crank and bearing seal.

Before you ask, I've got the spacers in there :P
  • nicklouse
    yes that is normal.
  • monkeypants
    I see... What an odd design. :?

Thanks Nick
  • nicklouse
    nope it all locks on the non drive side bearing which is why there are less spacers than shimano and the axle is stepped.
  • Its a shite design. I have them on my Marin and there's a big gap on the drive side and also a little bit of play. But that's fine according to the fitting instructions. That recommends removing play by packing it with more grease! :?

Anyway, I'm getting an SLX chainset next week to replace it so that should solve the problem!
  • ro63rt
    ro63rt Posts: 59
    They should butt right up to the bearing covers. Bit of grease on both sides of these. Check the thread on the axle going through to the non drive side is clean. But ensure the BB is installed the correct way round as these are tapered axle's.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I never had any play on mine except on the non-drive side when the bb was worn out.
    I never noticed a gap either.
    Smarter than the average bear.