Brake pads.

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
I have campag centaur brakes with standard pads and Fulcrum 3 wheels.

Been out a ride and the rims are already marked and grooved (was raining so must have picked up grit and dirt)

Whats the best pads that will give me good brake feel but not too abrasive?

Cheers
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    According to Cycling Plus best pads are Swisstop but Koolstop have got a big following here. I have got the later and they are better than the standard ones.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Whatever pads you use, make sure you wipe down your rims after a wet ride and check there aren't any bits of grit stuck in the pads.
    Cycling weakly
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    I have campag centaur brakes with standard pads and Fulcrum 3 wheels.

Been out a ride and the rims are already marked and grooved (was raining so must have picked up grit and dirt)

Whats the best pads that will give me good brake feel but not too abrasive?

Cheers

My campag pads are half worn after 4 45 mile rides. There is a lot of sand on the roads down here after the ice and snow and I think that is what has done it. This is why people ride winter bikes.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • i have tried swiss stop, koolstop and some BBB ones as after market. Loved swiss stop, have a pair waiting in the garage, loved koolstop but they disappeared for a while couple of years ago and I have not had them since, but not for any particular reason. BBB are terrifying in the wet. I kept them on for 2 wet rides, the second was only to give them a chance in case there was a bedding in period. There was not.

Andy
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Oops, just bought some BBB pads. They'll be going back if they are as bad as you say.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    +1 for Koolstop Salmons. Worked a treat from day one, took very little bedding in.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    +1 for Swissstop Black which I have just fitted onto my winter bike in the last 2 weeks.

If I am honest I have only noticed a marginal improvement in the dry as my braking was good in the dry before I chnaged them. The difference in the wet is night and day. I basically dont feel any difference from dry to wet conditions any more. Great feeling knowing that you can rely on your brakes in wet conditions.

They are quite expensive.
  • + 1 swisstop

Greens are the best I have used in the wet

koolstops are good , but not as good as the swisstop greens IMHO
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ashima triple compound. very good pads.
  • + 1 swisstop

Greens are the best I have used in the wet

Another vote for Swissstop Greens. Excellent stopping power and kind to your rims.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    My campag pads are half worn after 4 45 mile rides. There is a lot of sand on the roads down here after the ice and snow and I think that is what has done it. This is why people ride winter bikes.

Wow. My current set of campagnolo pads have about 5000 miles on them and are only half worn! I'm beginning to think that there is something weird going on. I go through them much. much more quickly on the commuting bike. The good bike is only used in the summer and not often in the wet, I guess it makes all the difference (that and the fact I regularly pick grit out of the pads with a small knife). Also I suppose I don't brake very much on the good bike.. :wink:
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Kool Stop Salmons! The answer to rim friendly rim braking!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    V pleased with Swissstop green.