Dealing with Dogs

spannerchucker
spannerchucker Posts: 55
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Anyone got any decent suggestions for dealing with aggressive dogs. I live in Spain and there is an abundance of dogs on the tracks I ride, most of which are fine but I've had one too many incidents now where a dog has been aggressive towards me. I need something that will give me peace of mind rather than worry whether I'm gonna get bitten or not.
Cheers,
Andy.
Jamis Dakota Sport
Fuel EX 8

Comments

• dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    Dogs are a pain in the arse. Espcially those little ones that seem to always head straight for your front wheel!! Then you get the owners shouting at you to slow down. f**k off!! Control your mutt! These days I do always try to slow down after I actually ran a dog over. It ran alongside me for a bit & then went right across the front of me!! Crazy bastardo! I also find that spitting a mouthwall of water from my camel back usually scares the crap out of any agrassive mutts that cross my path. The owners don't like it but they like it even less if you run their dog over :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    And pick up its sh1t.

Nothing more annoying than crap in your tyres or even worse in your SPD cleat recess on your shoe.

Scum.
  • Pepper Spray. I always carry one with me. I've never used it yet and hopefully never will.
    I love dogs but If I have to choose between keeping my ankle safe or scare a nasty dog well......guess what :lol:
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • Pepper Spray sounds like just what I'm looking for, but where can you get it in Europe?
    Jamis Dakota Sport
    Fuel EX 8
  • Same as bull's aren't they;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-FQ7rYYX0Q
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    andy - as suggested up there - a squirt of water from your water bottle will often get them away from you enough just to accelerate past.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And i used to kee p a sperate bottle with a little salt water in, doesnt hurt them for long but a little in there eyes can sting if there really aggresive
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    a swift size 9 (or 43ish euro size) in the face? Then one for the owner is they moan :wink:
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Size 9 sounds good but today I didn't wanna get too close to the 'Rotty' that came running after me, out on it's own with no owner for miles.... I've also been to the bullfight and if I ever come across one of those when I'm out riding, that's the day I'll pack it in.
    Jamis Dakota Sport
    Fuel EX 8
  • dogboy73
    I've also been to the bullfight and if I ever come across one of those when I'm out riding, that's the day I'll pack it in.
    No s**t! We went to the Pamploma Bull Run last year for my best mates stag weekend. The day we arrived someone poor bugger had been killed during the run. which kind of put me off doing it myself :wink: If I start coming across those big bastads whilst out riding then I'm going to start taking a gun out with me! Those things are HUGE, extremely dangerous & very, very pi**ed off all of the time!! :shock:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ever thought of a Dazer?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Been looking at The Dazer but there are some bad reviews and they won't ship to Spain. Maybe I'll get one sent to the Uk and get family to send it. I've just had enough of spending my rides worrying about dogs. Never had this problem in the UK but here it is beginning to put me off going out on my bike.
    Jamis Dakota Sport
    Fuel EX 8
  • easyboy
    easyboy Posts: 33
    two things first i go out with my border collies when i know i'll meet dogs,have you ever seen a rotty sh*t himself when the two things chasing him are changing direction faster than he can turn his head its hillarious watching them running away whimpering
    anyway if you have a water bottle and a hydration pack then fill the water bottle up with pepper/water problem solved
    if i dont have my dogs with me then the home made pepper sprays coming out to play.
    2009 Stumpy Elite
    2009 Cube Ltd Race
    Its the little people in my head that told me to do it....
  • dogboy73
    redvee wrote:
    Ever thought of a Dazer?
    http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp

Woulldn't mind getting one of these myself. Does it come in black? 8)
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    +1 for taking your dog with you. I take my German Shepherd, and she puts off most mutts! "Aggressive" dogs are usually very scared, so don't back down, scream and shout back and move towards them - that will usually make them back away.

Never heard of the home made pepper spray, sounds like a good idea though.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Anyone got any decent suggestions for dealing with aggressive dogs. I live in Spain and there is an abundance of dogs on the tracks I ride, most of which are fine but I've had one too many incidents now where a dog has been aggressive towards me. I need something that will give me peace of mind rather than worry whether I'm gonna get bitten or not.
    Cheers,
    Andy.
    i got chased by loads of dogs when i tried MTBing in the carcassonne area of france last summer! in once case the owner actually let her dogs out to chase me! Cow! Needless to say i turned around and rode away as fast as i could!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ESC
    ESC Posts: 34
    http://www.pepper-spray.eu/

Most of the big dogs here in Portugal are soft as shite it's the little ankle biters that are fearless but a good toe punt normally gets the message across!
    www.exploresilvercoast.com
    PORTUGAL I BIKE I SURF I WALK
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    They are actually illegal in the uk FWIW.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    dogboy73 wrote:
    No s**t! We went to the Pamploma Bull Run last year for my best mates stag weekend. The day we arrived someone poor bugger had been killed during the run. which kind of put me off doing it myself :wink: If I start coming across those big bastads whilst out riding then I'm going to start taking a gun out with me! Those things are HUGE, extremely dangerous & very, very pi**ed off all of the time!! :shock:

Pity you weren't killed too!!!

This barbarian passtime only takes place because of the fcukin idiots that find it amusing to see a deranged, confused animal running about the place just for a humans amusment. It makes me ashamed to be human and I'm no tree-hugger.

If you visit pamploma at that time you're every bit as guilty as the people who release the bulls in the first place. Every time I see a idiot on youtube with a bulls horn up it's rear end I ask myself is that not the reason he's there in the first place???

There are other places one can visit for a stagg!!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • dogboy73
    neilr4 wrote:
    dogboy73 wrote:

Pity you weren't killed too!!!

This barbarian passtime only takes place because of the fcukin idiots that find it amusing to see a deranged, confused animal running about the place just for a humans amusment. It makes me ashamed to be human and I'm no tree-hugger.

If you visit pamploma at that time you're every bit as guilty as the people who release the bulls in the first place. Every time I see a idiot on youtube with a bulls horn up it's rear end I ask myself is that not the reason he's there in the first place???

There are other places one can visit for a stagg!!!
    Holy s**t! Looks like I've touched a nerve there :? I must say I'm not exactly a fan of the whole event. It was a crazy festival & there was an amazing atmosphere there. I didn't see any trouble, which was amazing given how many people were crammed into the place. As for the actual bull run though I kind of agree with you. The whole thing did seem a bit cave man & the people that get hurt have it coming to them you have to say. Amazing that they still let it go on considering people get hurt or even killed. It would never happen in the UK. Even the Gloucester cheese roll got cancelled this year!!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The stench from my riding gloves is usually enough to stun a dog from 10m.
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    try not to act like prey. easier said than done mind you.
  • antfly
    dogboy73 wrote:
    neilr4 wrote:
    dogboy73 wrote:
    Even the Gloucester cheese roll got cancelled this year!!
    You can blame the cheese rights campaigners for that.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    dogboy73 wrote:
    Holy s**t! Looks like I've touched a nerve there :? I must say I'm not exactly a fan of the whole event. It was a crazy festival & there was an amazing atmosphere there. I didn't see any trouble, which was amazing given how many people were crammed into the place. As for the actual bull run though I kind of agree with you. The whole thing did seem a bit cave man & the people that get hurt have it coming to them you have to say. Amazing that they still let it go on considering people get hurt or even killed. It would never happen in the UK. Even the Gloucester cheese roll got cancelled this year!!

Yes you touched a nerve alright, hate to see animals being abused!! Sorry if my reaction shocked you.

Water bottle usually does the trick with dogs chasing me on bike but I might just stop washing my gloves ;-)
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I stop, look the dog in the eye, then carry on - always works.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Surf-Matt wrote:

If it holds eye contact then I usually I assume I'm 'in' and offer to buy her a drink....:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • antfly
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    That`s because you`re so hard but one day you`ll meet a dog who`s even harder than you.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Carbon knuckled gloves, spiked ice tyres and some big spiky goth boots... that'll do the trick.. :lol:

I can usually outride an angry dog, but it really winds me up when you get the little rat-dogs running up and yapping at your front wheel.. if you can't control your dog, keep it on a lead. :evil:
  • dogboy73
    neilr4 wrote:
    dogboy73 wrote:

Yes you touched a nerve alright, hate to see animals being abused!! Sorry if my reaction shocked you.
    Well, I'm with you there. The whole thing does seem a bit unnescessary, although this didn't really cross my mind as I tucked into my nice juicy rare steak the evening after the first run :roll: