Help with hand pain

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Ok, I know this has been done a few times before, but having looked through some of the old threads, no-one seems to have quite the same problem.

I've never had a problem with it before, and I've been using my current setup for a few months now with no problem, but on my last couple of rides, I've noticed that on long descents, I'm getting quite bad pain in my hands, it feels almost like it's about to cramp up.

The pain is in both hands, in the fleshy bit of the palm under the thumb and right down the outside of the palm under the little finger.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make it go away, or at least reduce it. I cant decide if wider or shorter bars would help, or if more or less rise or backsweep is needed :?

Foam grips have also been suggested in other threads too, not sure how well that'd work though.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    I get that occasionally as well.
    I thought it might have been that I have been gripping to tightly or my grips were too small.
    It just feels like horrific cramp and it goes away if I open and close my hand a few times.
    Sorry if you thought this was someone helping when you saw that there was a new post in your thread :lol:
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Have you tried Ergon grips? I found they helped to reduce pain and fatigue in my hands.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I'm suffering from pain around the left thumb. It feels like a nerve because the it's uncomfotable when I'm braking, when I have my weight on the handlebars, gripping etc. I've changed the brake lever postion, changed gloves, and got foam grips.

M thumb is not as painful as it was, but it's still not right - still getting some pain and also a numbmess/tingling effect. It's eased a little, and there's no doubt the foam grips are more comfortable, but I think that once you injure your hands, it's a bugger to get them to heal quickly because of the constant use...especially regular riding.

Try adjusting things, and if you want to try foam grips, get some cheap foam grips from Superstar (£4.99), which will not break the bank.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Aldo001 yeh, cheers. :roll: :lol:

El Capitano Actually, I hadn't. But I am now. Which ones do you have?
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    i had similar problems after more than an hour or so on the bike,
    these sorted me out, cheaper than ergon too
    http://www.ukcyclestore.com/category-44 ... -grip.html
  • Cheers, I reckon I'll get a set of foam grips and a set of ergon grips from Superstar, then try them both out and see which feels best.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    narrow bars put more weight on the outside of your palm, so wider ones may help. or try foam grips/better gloves
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Ok, I know this has been done a few times before, but having looked through some of the old threads, no-one seems to have quite the same problem.

I've never had a problem with it before, and I've been using my current setup for a few months now with no problem, but on my last couple of rides, I've noticed that on long descents, I'm getting quite bad pain in my hands, it feels almost like it's about to cramp up.

The pain is in both hands, in the fleshy bit of the palm under the thumb and right down the outside of the palm under the little finger.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make it go away, or at least reduce it. I cant decide if wider or shorter bars would help, or if more or less rise or backsweep is needed :?

Foam grips have also been suggested in other threads too, not sure how well that'd work though.

Any ideas?

If you've been using the same bike setup for a while with no previous problems, are you experiencing the pain in all weathers,or just winter perhaps?

It might just be a circulation thing?
  • That's what I thought at first, but it happened yesterday too which was probably the warmest day of the year so far.

My bars are 710mm wide. I'd rather not go any wider or I'm going to start hooking trees.

Gloves are No-fear rogue which fit well and are quite well padded.

I definately think that a change in grips is the way forward to start with. Just seen some Ergon ones designed for Enduro riding. I reckon if any work, it'd be them.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I wouldn't discount the nitrile foam grips from poshbikes
  • If its arm/hand pump... one of those powerballs helped me out.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    I had that on the descents in wales the first time i went, Fingers locked up and i had to prise them off the bars, Turned out to be something as simple as moving my brake levers in a bit so i wasnt reaching as far to grab them
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    could be the back sweep on your bars aswell, i have mine pretty low down on the dh bike and it can be painfull at times, also your brake lever angle could be a constituting factor of this, hope this helps
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)