Islabikes sizing

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
Specifically Beinn 24 / 26

Islabikes seem like the popular choice for kids, I literally cannot find a single recommendation anywhere to buy anything else, so I'm happy with the choice: just one question - fairly small (but fast and strong!) daughter, 10th birthday present, the sizing chart would suggest she is too small for the small 26, can anyone confirm that Isla's sizing chart is accurate or is it possible to squeeze a smaller kid onto a 26?

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Can't speak for the Beinn but the chart was spot on for the Cnoc 14 that we bought our son.

_
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    "...fairly small"..."Smaller"... Quite subjective terms.

If you can provide height, and perhaps inside leg, people may be able to provide more assistance. Also, try http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/p ... rt_web.pdf - from their website.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    I suggest that Isla's sizing chart is the result of considerable thinking and testing on the subject.

It may be that your daughter will rapidly grow into the 26" version, but our experience is that bikes which are only slightly too large inhibit the development of skills somewhat. More advanced techniques such as comfortably lofting fron wheel over obstacles or bunny-hopping them are much more difficult on a too-large bike.

I appreciate that budget constraints can make buying the larger bike an economically attractive proposition. but, for her long-term enjoyment, the correct size bike is the best bet.

Whatever your eventual decision, good luck with breeding a future drain on your wallet - you are a selfless father, sir ;)
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I suggest that Isla's sizing chart is the result of considerable thinking and testing on the subject.
    Yes. In my experience and people I've spoken to, absolutely spot on.

Just ring the shop, they're more than happy to talk about this as they know it's important.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Bear77
    Bear77 Posts: 60
    The sizing chart was bang on for my sons Beinn 20 (large). Islabikes had also set the saddle to the right hight. :)

They are a pretty compact frame so you get a bit more growing room. But as above I would contact Islabikes, buying a bike that too big would be a bad move.
    The revolution will not be televised
  • bompington
    baudman wrote:

If you can provide height, and perhaps inside leg, people may be able to provide more assistance. Also, try http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/p ... rt_web.pdf - from their website.
    That would be the sizing chart I mentioned in my OP then...
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    bompington wrote:
    baudman wrote:

Yeah - Perhaps I should try that 'reading' thing - I hear it's all the rage. ;)

But still, "...fairly small..." doesn't help us much. If you want people's feedback about their experiences with their own kids and the bikes, you really need to supply yr kid's stats. Otherwise, it's all just YMMV.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • bompington
    baudman wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    baudman wrote:

Yeah - Perhaps I should try that 'reading' thing - I hear it's all the rage. ;)

But still, "...fairly small..." doesn't help us much. If you want people's feedback about their experiences with their own kids and the bikes, you really need to supply yr kid's stats. Otherwise, it's all just YMMV.

Sorry, was a bit tired after lack of sleep with baby followed by 12 hour day at work (taking kids skiing, tough job but someone's got to do it etc.) and that was unnecessarily snippy.

I do have the dimensions (62cm inside leg & 126cm height) & I have looked them up on the size chart - just a bit less than the minimum for beinn 26 small.
    Sometimes size charts can be a bit conservative, as in the stated range for any given size can be stretched in reality (e.g. girl with 62cm i/l when chart says min 64). I was wondering if anyone had any experience of islabikes that would say whether or not this was the case.
    I suspect that Mike Healey is right, all the signs suggest that Isla are a long way towards the experienced, thoughtful and precise end of the spectrum! I'm just off to order the 24, if she does grow out of it quickly the resale value argument is quite compelling.
  • gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    Phone Islabikes up - they'll give you excellent advice over the phone.

When I was ordering my daughters Beinn 20, I was confident on the sizing from the charts, but the guy I spoke to asked me about sizing and confirmed that I was picking the right bike, but he also suggested that I'd probably want to move the saddle forward given my daughters size.
    Sure enough the sizing was perfect, but the saddle needed moving forward slightly to be perfect...

So give them a call, you'll be confident that you know what to get within 5 minutes.
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    Another vote here for phoning them up. They are a great help.

If you can get there and if you can wait, they've got an open day on 27th March.

Or, book an appointment for any other day and they will build the bike(s) you're interested in to your spec and if you like it, you can take it home with you that day.
  • I went along last summer just looking with a friend who was going to buy. I knew according to the charts that my son wasn't big enough for the Beinn 24, but I wanted to know how far off and if it was likely to fit by Christmas time.

Arrived at Islabikes - they took one look at him and got out the 20" and sat him on it. I said I didn't mind seeing him ride that one but that I did want to see him astride a 24" to see how far he had to grow before it would fit. She took another look at him ... said he might just fit and got out a 24". Took it out to the car park, she asked if he was a confident rider - yes. On he got and absolutely no problems - straight though all the puddles in the car park etc. So it was an expensive trip - but so worth it.

According to the measurements (perhaps the mistake was with the measurer :lol: ) the bike was too big but the staff were happy that he fitted that bike then.
  • bompington
    Well she's got her Beinn 24 now, it seems to fit really well, certainly no sign of her being anywhere near too big for the bike. Saddle height is nowhere near max, & reach to the bars is certainly not short, if anything it looks the opposite (but that is compared to her old 20").
    So it's possible that the 26" would have done, but I'm happy that this one will fit her for at least a couple of years.

She loves it & any efforts at oneupmanship from boys who demand to know how many gears it has are easily dismissed with one glance at the professional looking name transfer. And by dropping them with ease, of course.

EDIT: been off road a few times now as well, and first impressions certainly support Isla's claim that you're better off without suspension. Plus it's great to see her heading downhill confidently as the brakes are light & within reach, unlike every other kids bike I've ever seen.

Now her big brother wants one...