36t Chainring

Underscore
Underscore Posts: 730
edited March 2010 in The workshop
Having just replaced my cassette and chain on my commuter, I'm getting the merest whiff of chain suck when I'm really cranking on the middle ring - not enough to warrant replacing just yet but I'll need to replace it next time the chain needs replacing.

Now, it is a Shimano Deore 36t ring - which is supposed to be hard wearing as it's steel, but it has actually lasted less time than the equivalent ring on the original, low-rent crankset - so I was wondering whether to replace like-for-like (about £10) or whether there is a different ring that will provide a lower pence-per-mile? Note that I don't use the inner ring so shift quality doesn't factor into the equation.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

_

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Deore is about the best aftermarket choice for long wear.

The original was probably a bit thicker!
  • Underscore
    supersonic wrote:
    Deore is about the best aftermarket choice for long wear.

The original was probably a bit thicker!

OK, thanks for the advice.

_
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Underscore wrote:
    .... Note that I don't use the inner ring so shift quality doesn't factor into the equation.
    Any thoughts ... ?
    _

You might be able to flip the 'ring, so that the other side of the teeth take their turn carrying some load. In the Shimano world this is a no-no as it allegedly compromises shifting performance but you say you arn't shifting, so if the mounting holes, bolts etc support it, you could give it a try.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Underscore
    Underscore wrote:
    .... Note that I don't use the inner ring so shift quality doesn't factor into the equation.
    Any thoughts ... ?
    _

You might be able to flip the 'ring, so that the other side of the teeth take their turn carrying some load. In the Shimano world this is a no-no as it allegedly compromises shifting performance but you say you arn't shifting, so if the mounting holes, bolts etc support it, you could give it a try.

Cheers,
    W.

What a good idea. I'll have a look and give it a go if it looks like it should work...

Thanks,

_
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Underscore wrote:
    Underscore wrote:
    Any thoughts ... ?
    _

Cheers,
    W.

What a good idea. I'll have a look and give it a go if it looks like it should work...

Thanks,

_

i got the impression you do shift between middle and large, just not down onto granny ring? so flipping the ring might not stop the shift, but could reduce shifting smoothness. Rings aren't uniform/symmetrical or smooth, they have all sorts of ramps/profiling etc to help catch and move the chain up or down.

before you take it off, check whether the holes are countersunk(i've no idea whether they tend to be or not)- because if they are countersunk one side only, then you definitely wont be able to flip it...
  • Underscore
    PBo wrote:
    i got the impression you do shift between middle and large, just not down onto granny ring? so flipping the ring might not stop the shift, but could reduce shifting smoothness. Rings aren't uniform/symmetrical or smooth, they have all sorts of ramps/profiling etc to help catch and move the chain up or down.

before you take it off, check whether the holes are countersunk(i've no idea whether they tend to be or not)- because if they are countersunk one side only, then you definitely wont be able to flip it...

Very true, I do shift between middle and outer rings. However, I believe that the pins and ramping are only designed to help shifting up onto that ring - hence the granny tends never to have any of that type of thing.

Yes, I can see that there are potential reasons why this might not work, but it is certainly worth trying out...

Cheers,

_