CRC Marathons

trip
trip Posts: 64
edited April 2010 in XC and Enduro
Thought i'd start this thread to see if anyone else has entered any of these. I've just put my entry in for the 100 km Grassington ride on the 4th of July and the Ruthin ride on the 19th Sept.
At the moment it looks as though i will be going on my own. So anyone else in a similar situation?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am booked in for the half marathon at Grassington and Selkirk.

Seriously thinking of having a go at the night marathon at Ruthin. Trying to get a few other lads interested. Doing the day ride at Ruthin will be well boring because I know the trails in the area like the back of my hands but a proper flat out blast at night is getting me very interested.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Stubs,I've signed up with a mate for the 100km in Ruthin.Never done one before so don't know what to expect.sounds like you know it well.what's the terrain like?
  • stubs
    There is very little singletrack or technical stuff its mostly green lanes and bridleways. The Clwydian hills arent very high so the climbs dont go on for very long but some of them can be lung busters they usually fit in a couple of climbs on grass which tends to sort the men from the boys. The first climb out of Ruthin is on tarmac and every time I have done it I am blowing by the time I get there the mass start gets me all excited and instead of pacing myself I go flat out from the start at the rugby club.

It is pretty weather resistant even if it has been pouring you wont need mud tyres even the few muddy bits under the trees at Loggerheads park the mud isnt sticky stuff but it will kill non sintered brake pads.

Ruthin itself is a lovely market town with lots of pubs some decent restaurants and takeaways. The camp site is literally a few hundred yards from the town centre at most a 5 minute walk. If you were planning on staying in a hotel or B+B I would book now there isnt a massive amount of accomadation but the North Wales coastal resorts arent too far away if you dont mind a half hour drive on the morning of the event. Even Chester isnt more than about 45 minutes drive away.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Sounds good.we're sorted for b&b already.you make it all sound very straightforward, which no doubt it won't! Cheers
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    anyone done the builth wells race before?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Got my entry in for Selkirk, along with the wife.

As it's my first ever 'event', I've only gone for the half marathon this time round. Still, it's given me something to get my teeth into in terms of training.

Quite excited about it actually! :oops: :lol:
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • trip
    trip Posts: 64
    It's my first event too, don't know if entering the 100s was ambitious or stupid!
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I am going to be entering the mini marathon at Grassington....30km is enough for me on my first alone:oops:
    Caz xx
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I've entered the Builth Weils round and looking forward to it like Christmas!
  • stubs wrote:
    Doing the day ride at Ruthin will be well boring because I know the trails in the area like the back of my hands but a proper flat out blast at night is getting me very interested.

Thats what i thought last year as I cyle here everday, however a lot of the trails are only opened up by the farmers for that day, so some of the trails that you ride are kind of once a year and I found that they were the ones that were awesome e.g. from Moel Famau to Moel Arthur.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:
    Doing the day ride at Ruthin will be well boring because I know the trails in the area like the back of my hands but a proper flat out blast at night is getting me very interested.

Thats what i thought last year as I cyle here everday, however a lot of the trails are only opened up by the farmers for that day, so some of the trails that you ride are kind of once a year and I found that they were the ones that were awesome e.g. from Moel Famau to Moel Arthur.

I have done the Ruthin Marathon 5 times now and to be honest it is starting to repeat itself. The 2008 half marathon repeated exactly the route from a previous marathon not something I want to pay £30 for. Even the usaully inaccesible bits have been done to death. I am not critizing the route planners there is only so much you can do in a relatively compact area. Plus ca change I think the Germans say. :lol:

I fancy the night ride because it will be different to ride.

Looking forward to the Grassington ride because I havent done a whole lot of riding in that area.
  • sparrowlegs78
    I might have a go at Ruthin mini marathon if I live trough Grassington :lol:
    Caz xx
  • Looking at the CRC marathon booklet thing pfd on internet the other night, the night enduro is 45km. I persume theyd be starting late evening so youd be in the dark for an hour or so? Any ideas?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • stubs
    Looking at the CRC marathon booklet thing pfd on internet the other night, the night enduro is 45km. I persume theyd be starting late evening so youd be in the dark for an hour or so? Any ideas?

Its a 7.30 start in september so the majority is going to be in the dark I think sundown is about 8 pm at that time of year and as 45 km is going to take me about 4 and a half hours to do I am going to need a lot of AA batteries for my lights. Or a very long extension lead :lol:
  • Haha. Any ideas of the route? I don't know which one to do - sunday or night enduro. I really enjoyed the 100km last year as Ive never done some of the routes before + i did a lot better than i thought id do.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • stubs
    No idea of route I imagine it would be fairly compact as it would need a fair bit of marshalling.
  • I'm tempted by the night marathon over the first event...
  • skalus
    skalus Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I entered the marathon on 22 May in Builth Wells, but my friend with who i supposed to go deserted as a result I have a problem how to get there. Is anyone from cardiff or merthyr tydfil going so I can go with him and sare cost of petrol ( i am living in pontypridd)
  • sparrowlegs78
    I entered the 25km marathon at Grassington...........is anyone else doing this one?
    Caz xx
  • titus4t
    titus4t Posts: 33
    Pics from first event now online - http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk/events.html
  • Hi everyone,
    I've just uploaded loads of the pictures onto my PinkBike account from the April's 'Chain Reaction Cycles' Builth Wells Marathon - find yourself and feel free to download.
    High quality copies available on request for FREE.
    Enjoy!!

For pictures go here:
    http://kovaldesign.pinkbike.com/
  • Hi

Just had my confirmation of the entry to the Ruthin marathon in wales for the 18th - 19th september

Only going for the 30 km course as it's the first event i've entered

Mick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • Cannon71
    Cannon71 Posts: 92
    Wahey! My first event confirmed too: the 50km at Builth Wells on 23rd May.

Yeah, Christmas can wait, it's all about Builth! :twisted: