Mad March Hare - Sunday 7th March **UPDATE**

pprince
pprince Posts: 141
Hi

I've been quiet for a while and my sportive is just around the corner. Thought I'd update you with a few things. I will post final instructions on the website in a week or so. So keep having a look.

http://www.madmarchharesportive.co.uk

Numbers
Numbers are here, ensure you attach them to the front of your handlebars so you can be identified by the photographer. Don't know where he will be yet
Photographer is sportivephoto.com, Phil O' Connor so top notch!
The numbers also have emergency numbers on the back too

Route
I've decided to twaek the route towards the end slightly. Originally I took riders through a small town called Alvechurch but I'm worried about signs going astray so you now skirt that and miss the 15% Weatheroak Hill I had planned. Instead I take you up The Holloway which is not as steep but longer, so just as hard. Still a sting in the tail at the end. Overall the route is about a mile or so shorter too.
Also if you're using Sat Nav, download the new gps file

Parking
I'm going to have to be strict about this. The shop is on a disused chicken farm with one way access around the back. Parking will fill up from the back of the sheds forward to the shop. To exit you continue around the sheds back to the front and out. I will upload a map to explain this. Should have marshals on the day to help. Loads and loads of parking in the sheds but a bit smelly!

Feed station

Same as last year, bananas, flapjacks, water but I've moved it to 2/3rds distance this time @ Bidford on Avob, by the river. Nice!

Food/Drink

As last year, Free tea, coffee, squash all day. Free bacon bap when you get back too, buy more if you want
You can also buy energy drinks, food, cans of coke etc
I will have a veggy alternative to the bacon baps too
Catering by the local Scouts this year

Weather
Whatever happens the event will be on. Riders call if they ride or not.

Bike cleans

you'll get a ticket, hand it in after the event to get your bike done

Timing
nice and simple like last year. Report to the desk when you go and come back to log your start & finish times

Facilities
Toilets - one in the shop, plus portaloos outside
Showers - the shop has one but it won't be available

Think thats it. If anyone has specific questions, email me on pprince @ cultracing dot com

cheers

Paul

Comments

• davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    pprince

I'm not going to be able to make this event now. I signed up at about 304, last minute. Please feel free to give/sell my place to someone else.

Have a great day,

David Miller
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I am also doing a ride called the "Mad March" on Sunday 7th March.

The event I am doing is in Devon, starting from Exeter and is described
    Here and here

It is 200km around Devon with 2700m climbing. Entry cost is £5
  • vorsprung
    pprince wrote:
    thats an Audax, not quite the same! :lol:

But I'm sure we both want the current weather forecast for sunday to actually happen
  • pprince
    if it stays like it is, I'll have had 2 years on the trot the same. Thats pushing my luck I think!
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    First time ever I can cycle to the start of a sportive!!
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    First time I've ridden this event and have to say I was well impressed. Excellent signage, well stocked feed station, bacon roll & free hot drinks and all for a tenner (I think?!). Congrats to the organisers, to quote Arnie 'I'll be back' but next time can you make it a bit warmer!
    4hr 45ish - are times recorded?
  • dbg
    First time I've ridden this event and have to say I was well impressed. Excellent signage, well stocked feed station, bacon roll & free hot drinks and all for a tenner (I think?!). Congrats to the organisers, to quote Arnie 'I'll be back' but next time can you make it a bit warmer!
  • dbg
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    echo the above comments. a great day. weather perfect, albeit a bit icy in the morning. 75 miles is 20 miles further than i'd ever gone before, but my training plan was screwed with the weather post xmas so i wasn't best prepared. got bad quad and hamstring cramps from the climb at tardebigge and had to walk the rest of that one and the climb with the second photo opportunity! i hope the photographer didn't snap me walking.
    i nursed myself home from there and would have easily broken my 5hr target if it wasn't for the cramps.
    well done to the organisers and the riders for their planning, execution and support.
    i'll be back next year too.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • This was the first time attending the MMH. I have to say it was well worth the trip down form Manchester. Even getting to cycle around the pennines all the time I don't think I've ever ridden around such a picturesque route. Even when things were a little bit on the tough side I was still taken aback by beautiful surroundings.

It was the furthest distance i've ever ridden and that bloody hill nailed me good and proper. I had to admit defeat for the first ever time and walk from about half way :oops:
    The hardest part of the ride for me however was after the feed stop. It felt like all those little bumps were mercilessly sapping my energy. Plus there seemed to be a bit of a headwind ( or maybe that was just me making an excuse for being so weak )

Getting back to a nice cup of tea and the best bacon muffin in the land with lashings of HP made the day more than worthwhile. And all for only £10. If only all the other money grabbing sportive holders would take note! :evil:

Thanks very much fella and all those who helped you. It was a great day and I can't wait for next year :D
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    hi paul ,had a great time yesterday and the weather was fantastic ( but a bit chilly ) . It was well organized and had loads of positive comments from other riders at the finish .
    Got to admit i struggled as well after bidford and these where on roads i ride quite often .
    May be you should sneak another sportive in in october ,pretty sure you would fill it .
  • pprince
    sibike wrote:
    May be you should sneak another sportive in in october ,pretty sure you would fill it .

thats the plan! :wink:
    watch this space

doing the results now, should be up in a bit
  • pprince wrote:
    sibike wrote:

thats the plan! :wink:
    watch this space

doing the results now, should be up in a bit

ooooooooooooooooooo! now i'd definately find room in the calender for that. :D

Plus hopefully I should be a fair bit fitter by then and find it easier :roll:
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • stevo1602
    stevo1602 Posts: 43
    Prince & Team

Excellent day, great route, well organised, and the weather was excellent if a little icy first thing. And all for £10 brilliant.
    Results up I see, I knew I was first back, but looks like I got the quickest time too...cool. Might have been a minute or two quicker if I had not missed a sign early on, and had to double back.
    Let us all know about your Autumn plans and keep up the good work.

Rob
  • pprince
    bit of a write-up on my website here
    http://www.cultracing.com/news/34/Mad-M ... -2010.html

thanks Rob and well done, thats a great time for the terrain!
    and thank you to everyone else. I've had loads of emails and posts on various forums praising the event. Yesterday was a step up for me and it worked out. Bit stressful early on when you all rocked up at the same time but we coped!

I think the way I do it, cheap, simple and get the basics right works (the weather helps too though!)

If you didnt know, I'm making a donation to the Cubs who did the catering and bike washing yesterday.

When the photos are up on Sportivephoto.com shortly, please try and buy one. Phil O' Connor has been very loyal to me and the event and he takes cracking shots! I want to keep him onboard as a top event like I'm trying to put on deserves a top photographer IMO.

I'm open to ideas for the Autumn event. Date, distance, course etc (based from the shop again)
    have some input, let me know your thoughts

cheers

Paul Prince

PS I've proved it again, you dont need to charge the entry fees some organisers like to charge!!!
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    pprince wrote:
    bit of a write-up on my website here
    http://www.cultracing.com/news/34/Mad-M ... -2010.html

I'm open to ideas for the Autumn event. Date, distance, course etc (based from the shop again)
    have some input, let me know your thoughts

cheers

Paul Prince

PS I've proved it again, you dont need to charge the entry fees some organisers like to charge!!!

Indeed. Good day. Though I suggest you drop the distance for to 60-65 miles. First major ride for most people.

Autumn event. Go for it.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • vorsprung
    ....and the audax in Devon went well too
  • pprince wrote:
    my event got some good coverage (4 pages!) in CW this week

http://www.cultracing.com/news/43/Our-M ... eekly.html

..but you all prob read it and know that anyway

Paul

Yeah I noticed that Paul. It brought back some good memories lol.
    Congrats you deserved it.

I just wish I'd noticed the hot little blond so I could have got her to interview me :D:wink:

She also kept referring to you as Prince in it intead of Paul., but I suppose thats a sign of the times :wink::D