The bloody weather?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2010 in MTB general
I was wondering, is all the snowfall because of climate change and us burning to many fossil fuels? or is it just a random event? because i dont want to have to deal with this every year, i just want to get out and ride!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it's called winter.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    I think it's called winter.

Yeah, but in britian it isnt usually this long
  • You should try it, I had the best ride ever today. Trails mostly bone dry, but with just odd deposits of snow left over.

Some of the drifts were 2-3ft deep, but because it's so cold up on the mountain, they had frozen absolutely solid, meaning you could just ride over them.

Of course, some of them were NOT frozen solid. A bit like russian roulette with snow.

Miles more fun than just a normal ride, and miles more fun than getting bogged down in snow every 10ft.
  • Depends how long your memory is!
  • supersonic
    Been crystal clear all day long today here - though is still snow on the tops.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah riding in snow is fun, to begin with, then after a couple of rides it can get pretty tedious. I can't remember ever having this much snow for this long before though (i'm only 19 so i can't hark on about how in the good old days it used to snow 5 foot deep and people still went to work etc ;) ).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I think the snow is great!!!

Nothing to do with the fact that I was much quicker down the trails than my mate who is usually much quicker than me :lol:
  • supersonic
    It has been the coldest winter I remember since about 1995, though the records suggest since 1979. Early to mid 80s was like this every year practically, and I can remember some snow most years.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My cycle resulted in a half cycle half walk thanks to snow, was still a good day though.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Spring is starting to sprung here in S Wales. Was out for a couple of hours yesterday and a few more today.

Snow's a distant memory, clearly sunny skies and about 8c. Hasn't rained in a week, so even the darkest parts of the woods were dry. Even some shoots on the trees - won't be long now!
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Trails down Sarf in Hampshire are pretty dry in a lot of places, a welcome improvement :D . The bike was even relatively clean after yesterdays ride...result.

The South Downs Way was in pretty good shape today too.

Can't be arsed with snow, riding in more than an inch or two is tedious and we had 9 inches here when its snowed.

I grew up in the Highlands and saw more than enough back then.
    Shot by both sides...
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Gorgeous today and the rest of the week looks promising, it's been a long Winter but Spring is bang on cue by the looks of it.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Trails are firming up lovely another week of this weather and its going to be brilliant conditions.

Roll on next weekend
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Tis officially spring in East Lancs, the moors were on fire today. Happens every year when it's dry in the spring, all the long dead grass is just too tempting for the local scrotes.

That said there is still snow on the gorund. Was excellent out first thing (-5 but very sunny). Ground was frozen solid, unfortunately so was our gravel pile out trail building. It got a bit slippy later on once the top layer of mud defrosted in the sunny, now that does make for interresting riding. Got dust billowing up behind the car bombing along the fireroads this morning (if the FC is reading this I was sticking to a sedate 10 mph).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    any photos of this snow in mainland uk? evidence a bit of snow up the antrim hills on thursday
    4414398409_bc4b565703.jpg
    4414398759_e593111166.jpg
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    bloody hell Bob - are those your tyre tracks? :shock:
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    had a great day out on the road bikes around the peaks

Still snow & ice around on the tops - as a couple of the lads found out :lol:
  • Anonymous
    i think i took my first ride out a few days early. it was a bit boggy when i rode but even a single day later it had firmed up with an extra day of dry weather.

i had all but given up on riding off road but am going to take a bike out tomorrow and see if the extra couple dry days have returned the earth to some kind of order.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    myopic wrote:
    bloody hell Bob - are those your tyre tracks? :shock:

uhm no, dont think it would have got up the hill with tyres that wide :lol: . was on a pair of Intense System 4 XC C3 size 2.25 tyres, bit overkill for the road.
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    i was out yesterday and today. noticed a big improvement today over yesterday, ground getting a bit harder and drier what with all this lovely sunshine! however in a lot of areas i'm finding the snow is melting and not draining so feel like i'm riding along muddy rivers at the moment. was an interesting experience having to pedal downhill anyway!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Good weather at Cannock Chase today, the sun was out but didn't offer much heat.
    It was 5ºC according to the car's external temp gauge
  • Lights and mudguards came off the commuter this morning. This means it's now officially spring! 8)
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Lights and mudguards came off the commuter this morning. This means it's now officially spring! 8)

Bit early for that yet. Granted, I'm only using flasing leds at the moment, due to the sun rising in clear skies. That said, the clocks go forward soon, so that'll mean using the main lights in the mornings again.

And, I think after last year's wonderful summer, I'll be leaving the mudguards on the commuter...
  • Nah, my lights can be zip-tied on when needed, and the mudguards are only crudguards, so they will go back on next time it rains. Just getting into the spirit of things.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Nah, my lights can be zip-tied on when needed, and the mudguards are only crudguards, so they will go back on next time it rains. Just getting into the spirit of things.

Ah, in that case, you're forgiven. I forgot, not everyone has their bike (and themselves) lit up like a Christmas tree when commuting. :wink: