Thumb joint pains! Foam grips?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Over the last three weeks (ish) I've started suffering from pains in my hands, especially around the thumb joint area (where it wraps around the grips).

I've only got small hands and I feel that this the main problem. I have got some small dia. grips (approx. 29mm), but it seems to be getting worse. I've tried adjusting brake lever/handlebar positions, but it sill persists. I thought that it was my gloves, so I have changed those...but to no avail. It really is ruining my rides, and the pain does hang around for days afterwards. I think that it may have started after braking particularly hard one day, and if my brake levers were in the wrong position, then that could explain things. It's worth noting that I haven't been doing any rough stuff of late either, so I can't blame that.

I've always had small, girlie hands, and have had the odd issue with them over the years regarding weird pains/bruising in my joints for no apparent reason...every so often. But this seems to hanging around this time.

I have considered trying the foam grips, and wondered if anyone on here uses foam grips and could let me know how they fair?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• Johnny Napalm
    Just in case anyone else has had similar problems -

Fitted some foam grips, which are more comfy than any grips I've tried previously. They're obviously pretty basic, and don't look bling, but they are easier on the hands. My hands were not problematic after my ride yesterday, which is a good sign.

I'll continue to use the grips and see how they fair. I'm off out for a ride now, so I'll hopefully have the same result as yesterday.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Could always try some of the ESI racer's edge grips, just fitted a pair and have to say I'm impressed!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Slight change in hand position is what always fixed that for me, it's when I used to have too much weight on my hands, squishing my ulnar nerve and giving me pain/numbness. Higher bars sorted the issue for me, changing grips, even to ergons didn't ever do much.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Could always try some of the ESI racer's edge grips, just fitted a pair and have to say I'm impressed!
    I have heard good things about the ESI grips too. I might give them a go.
    Slight change in hand position is what always fixed that for me, it's when I used to have too much weight on my hands, squishing my ulnar nerve and giving me pain/numbness.

I do know what you mean. I don't think that it's any coincidence that the pain has got much worse since using the SS. I think the out-of-the-seat riding, coupled with some pretty steep hills, has caused occasions where I'm putting my girlie little hands under a lot of stress.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=256

^ I've got those ready and waiting for a build. They feel great and are going to work a treat.
  • ash.addy
    ash.addy Posts: 140
    I have probs with my wrists and hands numbing up I use these so I'm able to move my hands around when riding and if you don't like the bar ends they make them without.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19847
    Trying to break out of the asylum and onto the muddy tracks in Swansea.
  • ash.addy
    ash.addy Posts: 140
    I have probs with my wrists and hands numbing up I use these so I'm able to move my hands around when riding and if you don't like the bar ends they make them without.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19847
    Trying to break out of the asylum and onto the muddy tracks in Swansea.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    i used suffer with hand and finger disscomfort for a few hours after being out on a ride.
    i looked at the ergon grips but found these,

http://www.ukcyclestore.com/category-44 ... -grip.html

a lot cheaper and has sorted me out,no more problems plus there nots as ugly as some of the ergon designs