14stone 23year old. Help

churchygti
churchygti Posts: 84
edited April 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hello can u help, im 23 years old and im now 14 stone i really wanna lose my gut n exess fat, i have a condition with my foot so running n other forms off exercise are hard were as i can MTB. my question is what do i need to do to lose some weight on my rockhopper, idears from diet info, riding times n things like that thanks for your help hope some one can help me befor i get to bit. thanks
The beast rocks (High lodge)

Hardrock 09 - Rockshox Dart 2

Comments

• Any1 got any idears thanks

• amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    Diet is the key to losing the weight. Post your typical days diet and we'll be able to help more from there. Also how often you would go out biking? What height are you? What weight do you want to be? What are your goals? Need more info.... for now all I can say is eat less, cycle more. Oh and maybe do some full body weights workouts now and again....
  • jaybo1973
    jaybo1973 Posts: 301
    How tall are you? Do you know your BMI? There are plenty of sites that will work out your BMI by imputting your weight and height. If you are over weight, any type of exersize will help but diet is important too. Even if you are not over weight, regular exersize is still a key to healthy living
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    BMI is pretty useless.

If you are unhappy with your appearance then good on you for wanting to change it. TBH you can either diet or exercise to the exclusion of the other and still lose weight, but it is easiest to go for a little of each.

The simplest thing is to cut out junk food, and add little but often exercise building up to lots and often exercise.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Cutting just 500 calories a day from your daily intake will lose you a pound of fat per week (roughly).

If you ride for an hour a day, you'll burn APPROXIMATELY 500-800 calories, depending on how hard, etc.

So - you could bike an hour a day, eat the same amount you do now and lose a pound a week.

Biking PLUS diet (especially a healthy diet with little junk), can lose you a lot more.

Being 23 and 14 stone isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on you height and build!

You need to realistically decide how much you want lose and over what period of time. Plan accordingly.

Good luck!
  • Right thanks alot for your help.

I am 5ft 10inch
    i would like to be 11 1/2 stone with a flat stomic and no man boobs.
    My target time is for the rest off my life to keep my fitness levels high.,

My problem starts with my diet to be honest basacilly im not sure what to eat. my daily meals are.
    Breakfast-
    Coco pops or strawberry jordons
    Dinner-
    Jam sandwiches (tuna sum times)
    packet of crisps
    Choc bar
    Banana
    Tea-
    depending on the day
    pizza - monday
    chips- tuesday
    soup- wen
    pasta bake or rice n chicken - thur
    KFC or Fish n chips- friday
    sat n sunday tea is normally take-aways

i hope this information helps you i really wanna change and am open to any idears to help thanks alot for your time.What can i change and what with thanks

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lots of unrefined sugars in your breakfast and lunch there - try and swap the breakfast for a wholewheat cereal, and cut out the jam.

And look at all that junk food - take aways, KFC, chips (fried fish?!). Work to be done here.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Lots of unrefined sugars in your breakfast and lunch there - try and swap the breakfast for a wholewheat cereal, and cut out the jam.

And look at all that junk food - take aways, KFC, chips (fried fish?!). Work to be done here.

Your correct, so lets start will my diet what should i be eating, i will be doing at least an hour on my mbr each day so i will be getting exercise.
    thanks for your comment they all help.

• Would something like special k or oats be ok. or should i be eating wheater bixs, i also forgot to mention i have a muller yougurt arfter dinner my diet is shocking when i look at it like this. thanks

• supersonic
    Just a balanced diet. You can still have the odd pizza and takeaway, just cut down on them.

Maybe try some grilled chicken with a baked potata and salad one night. Loads of ideas on the web.

Don't go overboard though, you still need energy to do some cycling! Just think about it a bit more. Eat more fruit.
  • jaybo1973
    jaybo1973 Posts: 301
    Although some dont agree with the BMI, it can give some indication if you are not muscular. Your BMI is about 28 and should be around 25 so its nothing major. Basically cut out some of the crap. Still have a treat on a weekend. Look online for healthy meal options. but basically cut the fried food and sugars down. More protien. and get some slow burning carbs at breakfast such as oats.
  • Ok thanks. so far
    im gunna get some oats for breakfast, change my choc bar and crisps for a extra bit of fruit and a health bar and stop having jam sandwiches what should i have in my sandwiches would something like tuna or chesse n toms ok. and cut down on the take away (i knew that already but im being honest i wanted to tell you what i eat)

What is bmi im not sure what u mean by 25, 28 thnks

• i have also stopped smoking last month and starting to feel a little better. i hope you can see im giving this changing my life a big try.

• supersonic
    BMI is body mass index:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

It doesn't work well for all though as mentioned above.
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    Your diet would give Gillian McKeith a heart attack! But keep working on it, you will feel better for it.

Also would recommend including a few compound exercise to help tackle the gut/moobs and for an all round increase in strength.
  • supersonic wrote:
    BMI is body mass index:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

It doesn't work well for all though as mentioned above.
    yup.
    if you want a more accurate indicator of your risk of cardiovascular disease (thats what BMI is supposed to be measuring_ then use

Waist to Hip Ratio.

BTW... as said, Healthy Balanced Diet.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The BBC site has a decent section of recipes which should be fairly healthy if you're stuck for ideas.

'Chips' really isn't a healthy meal. Having stuff like that occasionally is fine, but you can't live off it and expect to lose weight. So don't necessarily eat less, just eat better, if you're hungry and tired from not eating enough, you won't want to go out on the bike. As others have said, more fruit and veg, fish, chicken (not KFC :P), pasta, baked potato instead of chips.

For lunches, things like pasta salads are filling and healthy. Or if you're sticking with sandwiches then chicken and salad, try to get stuff with low fat mayo/spread and avoid white bread.

Breakfast is probably the least of your worries tbh.

Good work on stopping smoking though, I'm sure that'll make everything else easier.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ok thanks for your help so far, i have just finished shopping got some more fresh fish, no crisps n no choc, more low fat bars and loads of pasta n chicken n salad. thanks its a small step so far but im going to work on it, thanks

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    churchygti wrote:
    ok thanks for your help so far, i have just finished shopping got some more fresh fish, no crisps n no choc, more low fat bars and loads of pasta n chicken n salad. thanks its a small step so far but im going to work on it, thanks

small steps is the way to start, go into it too hard you might then give it up
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    ive been eating properly for a few weeks now and the weight is dropping off me.,

weighed in at 17st approx 2-3 weeks ago and now scale in at 15st on the dot.

cut out junk beige foods and switched over to fruit veg eggs and chicken.

also cut out cola and sugary drinks - trust me it works awesomely combined with good exercise.

though i do need to tone up a little i do admit
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    ive been eating properly for a few weeks now and the weight is dropping off me.,

weighed in at 17st approx 2-3 weeks ago and now scale in at 15st on the dot.

cut out junk beige foods and switched over to fruit veg eggs and chicken.

also cut out cola and sugary drinks - trust me it works awesomely combined with good exercise.

though i do need to tone up a little i do admit

Thats an impressive drop in weight!
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    its pretty scary if im honest.

people have asked if im ill, and that weight that quick isnt really great for you.....but i havent been not eating etc just a simple change in diet and exercise - im not starving myself or anything, its levelled out and has slowed down now

feel great for it loads more energy 8)
  • small steps is the way to start, go into it too hard you might then give it up[/quote]

Thanks, n up date so far im feeling better with the stop smoking, only been a week with the riding and eating better so no change as weight goes but feel stiff. Anyone have any warm up tips thanks

• its pretty scary if im honest.

people have asked if im ill, and that weight that quick isnt really great for you.....but i havent been not eating etc just a simple change in diet and exercise - im not starving myself or anything, its levelled out and has slowed down now

feel great for it loads more energy 8)

well done. keep at it.

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    churchygti wrote:
    Would something like special k or oats be ok. or should i be eating wheater bixs, i also forgot to mention i have a muller yougurt arfter dinner my diet is shocking when i look at it like this. thanks

Some "good breakfasts" that i like

museli (i usually have 75g with semi skimed milk)

Granola (50g) with 100g Natural yougurt, 1 chopped banana and a teaspoon of honey (if i was having fruit yog i would leave the honey out). You can add any other fruit you like.

Porridge

Two slices of toast with a small tin of baked beans (go for the low sugar/salt ones).

I also usually have a glass of juice of some sort and sometimes eat an apple on the way to work.

My top diet tips - weigh things to get the right portion size, and be prepared - ie have 'good' stuff in the house to make pack lunches with
  • LittleB0b wrote:
    churchygti wrote:
    Would something like special k or oats be ok. or should i be eating wheater bixs, i also forgot to mention i have a muller yougurt arfter dinner my diet is shocking when i look at it like this. thanks

Some "good breakfasts" that i like

museli (i usually have 75g with semi skimed milk)

Granola (50g) with 100g Natural yougurt, 1 chopped banana and a teaspoon of honey (if i was having fruit yog i would leave the honey out). You can add any other fruit you like.

Porridge

Two slices of toast with a small tin of baked beans (go for the low sugar/salt ones).

I also usually have a glass of juice of some sort and sometimes eat an apple on the way to work.

My top diet tips - weigh things to get the right portion size, and be prepared - ie

Thanks alot for the idears will will try these

• Things are going good so far i am finding myself having a really sore throat and no energy after every ride any idears thanks

• Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    When I first started exercising I got the sore throat thing too. You just need to stick at it and make sure you drink enough water when you're out on your bike. It goes away after a couple of weeks
  • Hitby wrote:
    When I first started exercising I got the sore throat thing too. You just need to stick at it and make sure you drink enough water when you're out on your bike. It goes away after a couple of weeks

thanks, its getting better slowly.

• churchygti,
    Firstly, well done for wanting to get out there and get healthy, it can be quite hard to get going. I know from hard experience, a couple of years ago, I could barely run a mile, after 6 months of running I could do a half marathon.

My exercise regime since then has varied from lazy to lance armstrong. Believe it or not we are in a pretty similar situation, except I am probably a little further along from you, and felt compelled to post.

I started cycling to and from work everyday (more or less) since last November. I end up doing about 2 hours of off road and on road cycling every day. I have now started to mix running into my schedule, though my arch collapsed on the way home on Monday.

I am 24, 5'11" (ish) though if pushed I would say I am 6' (it just sounds better) and I was pushing 17 stone last year. At the moment I am around 15 and a half stone, and don't think I look any different yet, but know that it is paying off and will continue to do so as long as I stick with it.

So keep it up.

P.S. This is a general question to anybody who might know, Could the way I pedal, or the way my foot stands on the pedal, have contributed to my arch going. It seems like the most logical suggestion as in all my running previously nothing like it has ever happened before. And I would like to solve it myself instead of having my local GP give me the run around (no pun intended)