Should i keep my current bike

mtb154
mtb154 Posts: 5
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi, looking for a bit of advice, i have a 2005 Specialized S-Works Enduro, pace RC41 xcam forks, 5th Element shock, 2007 XT chainset, 2008 XTR fornt & rear mechs/ & shifters, HOPE C2 brakes, thomson elite seatpost and stem, hope big un front / xc rear hubs on mavic rims and it only weighs 28 lbs ( on my mums weight watchers scales)lol

my bike is in virtually mint condition as ive not used it that much recently and i love it to bits but ive been looking at the lappiere zesty which i like the look off, my doubts are, will this new bike be any better than my s works or should i stick with what i have and maybe upgrade a few bits. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Dave

Comments

• Gotta say I'm a fan of the Lapierre's too. But perhaps I should also say that my experiences with the Enduros were less than great.

You have nice kit, but the grass looks greener! (Ever cheated on your girlfriend?! If so, and it was good, go for the Lapierre! If not, stick with what you know!)
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Get a test ride, better safe than sorry.
  • Splee
    Splee Posts: 9
    kenan wrote:

When cheating on the girlfriend?? :lol:
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Splee wrote:
    kenan wrote:

When cheating on the girlfriend?? :lol:

Indeed, what did you think I was on about :wink:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    test ride one... only you will know if it's better than the bike you got..

i like lapierres to, and was considering getting one till i started to read about the frame failiers.. b'bs cracking and seat stays i think it was..
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Keep the enduro, it's a classic that has never been beaten. 28 lbs is outstandingly light. I had my '06 enduro nicked 6 months ago and I haven't even bothered to replace it as nothing currently on the market touches it. God, I miss that bike
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I have to say that as much as I like the new fandangled rides that are hitting the trails these days, there's something distinctly 'cool' about seeing older rigs that have been upgraded over the years. In some cases, and more than likely in yours, these older bikes are more than capable of keeping up with the new ones (including Lapierres), and more.

Unless it's knackered, keep it! :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    If you don't want it, i'l take it of your hands :D
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Nope, get rid of it it's a crap bike
    Tell you what I'll give you a tenner for it! :D

Just kidding BTW, hang on to it, two bikes are better than one.. I know, I have three
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Broonster wrote:
    I have to say that as much as I like the new fandangled rides that are hitting the trails these days, there's something distinctly 'cool' about seeing older rigs that have been upgraded over the years. In some cases, and more than likely in yours, these older bikes are more than capable of keeping up with the new ones (including Lapierres), and more.

Unless it's knackered, keep it! :D

True, I've still got my GT LTS DH for mucking about in the woods and going to the pub. However, the 05-06 Enduros would still be the ultimate all mountain bike in today's market. When something genuinely better comes along, then sell it (to me). On the other hand, the enduro is a hell of a lot of bike, even at 28lbs, and can be quite a berkshire hunt on those awful fire road sections of trail that don't need 6" f&r. Something like a fuel ex or similar might be a more efficient alternative. Although my favourite setup is a big hitter that can climb (such as your enduro) and a 29er hardtail such as a Gary Fisher Paragon or Kona King Kahuna, these bikes aren't a lot lighter but feel effortless in comparison when it comes to those draggy climbs that don't need loads of travel yet give you a similar license to ride like you've forgotten your brain
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Keep the enduro, it's a classic that has never been beaten. 28 lbs is outstandingly light. I had my '06 enduro nicked 6 months ago and I haven't even bothered to replace it as nothing currently on the market touches it. God, I miss that bike

Here Here!

I love my '06 Enduro now as much as the day I bought it back in '06.

I too have been biten by the Lapaire bug though, I can't walk in Tredz without stroking the Spicy.