Shortlist advice for C2W road bike

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Buying a roadbike on good ole C2W, wondered if you could point me in the direction of some good bikes that meet my shortlist?

I enjoy longish rides out with friends, Sportives (doing the Dragon Ride this, did the Force Century last year on my GT Avalanche). May also do some commuting (7 miles each way) to help with fitness. Would like something not too heavy (found the Tricross quite hefty), but not a delicate flower. Not looking to set any world speed records, could handle a triple to help me get up Peak Hill (I'm 14 stone and 6'1"). Ability to add guards a plus for commuting and for when the local Devon lanes look more like rivers.

So far visited 2 LBS in Exeter (Bike Shed and Richards). First one is recommending the Trek Pilot 2.1, second one a Kinesis Racelight T2. Haven't seen either in the flesh yet but did like the more expensive Kinesis GranFondo he had. First one also had a 09 Felt Z80 for £600, but it's a 61 which may be a tad on the big side for me.

Before you say "the only way to know for sure is to ride them", I know. But each LBS has a limited range and it may be worth hunting out a particular bike that fits the brief.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    CAAD9 seems to be the usual answer to this question.
    Try doing a search and there's loads of threads on C2W and CAAD9 is usually top choice
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cannondale CAAD9 Triple or Compact and a set of Crud Road Racer mudguards.

[/endthread]
  • rjh299
    see...
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Something from the Specialized Allez or Secteur ranges.

Good frames, easily upgradeable.

As you say, you have to try....
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Great thanks for that. The CAAD9 won a bike test in a mag I read a few months back, but they also said it was quite racy, and not built for comfort. Is this an issue?

I saw the Secteur in the shop that recommended the Pilot. If I was to go for 25mm tires, will that mean I can't get cruds on it?

Are the Pilot/Kinesus bikes much more ploddy than these 2?
  • rjh299
    People have fitted Crud Roadracers to 25mm but apparently they are moer difficult to get exactly right. Not sure if it's the guard or the fitter though.
  • I went to the bike shed to get my second bike on the C2W scheme and ended up going for a trek 1.5T

took it for a spin round the block a few times and all seems good, just waiting on my voucher now!
  • Spatulala
    Thanks for your help.

I'm going to add a Dale to the list, although the local dealer is Partridges and I've never found them very helpful in the past. Think I might try the Synapse as well as the CAAD9 in case I'm a big softie.

Is the Pilot 2.1 a Trek equivalent to the Synapse and the 2.1 an equivalent to the CAAD9?
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    CAAD9 owner here - CAAD9 is comfy for me - I was told it would rattle my teeth out because it is aluminium - load of crap - it feels gorgeous to ride - but like any suggestion here try the bikes out properly. Have you read the reviews in Cycling Plus Jan ? 2010 and that new sister mag recently out, is it Cycling fitness Feb 2010 edition? Also here vv

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/caad9-10-uk-35778
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got a Kinesis racelight TK2 which sits between the T2 and the Gran Fondo (price & weight). It has 25mm tyres and full mudguards, and would also take a rack.

Test rode / bought it from Epic. Riding it for 18 months now and it's still mechanically perfect. Well pleased.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Don't forget the CAAD8 as well, i think that's more aimed at pvssys :wink:
  • Spatulala
    Great thanks.

With the Kinesis, would you recommend a T2 with Tiagra (£950) or a TK2 with Sora (£999)?
  • xRichx
    xRichx Posts: 63
    I picked up a Cube Attempt with a triple under the c2w scheme. I've not taken it for any long rides yet, but a steady 3hour 50miler was comfy(ish) and it's light enough to get good speed on and keep it!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd go for the TK2 with Sora, as long as you're happy with the thumb levers for downshifts (it's a marmite love it or hate it thing)

If in the future you get the upgrading bug you'll likely replace the groupset, and you have the better frame to hang it on.