Das Leben Der Anderen (aka. The lives of others)

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
On BBC 4 tonight at 10pm.

Excellent film. Really good.

And no need to winge and moan about the adverts runing the film because it's on BBC!

Shweet.

p.s. It even won the "OMG, like, they're totally not talking American" oscar too...

Comments

• Thanks for posting that up, Rick - my Media player seems to have stopped downloading the BBC4 listings, so I would have missed it.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    It's a brilliant film. One of my favourite German films, along with "Downfall" and "The Wave".
  • rick_chasey
    It's a brilliant film. One of my favourite German films, along with "Downfall" and "The Wave".

Wasn't keen on 'The Wave'. I felt it was too obvious and predictable.

Das Experiment is the one of the most exciting and thrilling films I've ever watched. Was the debut for the director who went on to do Downfall.

I do think it isn't a coincidence that the only German films you hear about in the UK are grounded in its turbulent history...

Shame - I'm a fan of German film.

Anyway, anyone watch the lives of others for the first time yesterday?
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I'm going to watch it on the BBC IPlayer, after I've been on the Turbo Trainer.

What's more, is that I can pass it off as doing 'homework'.

Shortcut to film on IPlayer

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • rick_chasey
    ^^ Since when did BBC start putting up non BBC content on I player!!
  • wirralguy
    wirralguy Posts: 29
    i taped this film it sounds good as i am studing german at nightschool i can call this home work carn,t wait
  • ^^ Since when did BBC start putting up non BBC content on I player!!

They've put up a few full-length films, usually - it seems to be mostly foreign language films that have been shown on BBC3/4. Last one I remember was Molière about a month back.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Great film. And great soundtrack
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • ^^ Since when did BBC start putting up non BBC content on I player!!

They've put up a few full-length films, usually - it seems to be mostly foreign language films that have been shown on BBC3/4. Last one I remember was Molière about a month back.

You can watch these for 7 days online but don't have the usual download to view within a month option that BBC-made programmes have on iPlayer.

Will watch it tonight I expect.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Lives of Others is very good.

You might want to try Goodbye Lenin and Run, Lola, Run. Both are excellent
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I recorded it last night. Usually takes me about 3 months to actually get round to watching the stuff I record... so will report back in June!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Thanks for pointing this out. I watched it on iPlayer last night and really enjoyed it. A lesson to all the "I have nothing to hide" types.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Remenber seeing a film called "Das Boot". Was very disappointed as I thought it was about Winklepickers in the 1960's...lol!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Got round to watching it this morning - brilliant. Totally gripped for the whole way through. The scene where the main Stasi guy is questioning CMS about the typewriter is excruciating.