Accommodation required Pau Etape2010

Hi

This being my first entry, I hope it fits in with Bikeradar's criteria;

As the title says, three guys from Sussex finally mananged to obtain individual entry in December 2009, as such accommodation was/is fully booked everywhere.

So, without a hint of desparation :lol::lol::lol: , any assistance i.e has anyone found anywhere BB Half board etc with spare rooms , within 10miles of the starting area?

Any help with this matter greatly appreciated.

Thanks & safe cycling

Dave :)

Comments

• alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Hi

I'm in a similar situation, have just managed to get an entry only and have frantically been trying to find accommodation. I will be travelling to Pau on my own so due to the logistics i need to be as close to the start as possible ie no more than 20 - 30 mins away by bike.

Any suggestions would be grateful
  • Chris and Helen at Pyractif may be full, but they provided me and several others with superb accom. and support in 2008 :)

Edit - sorry, they do seem to be full :cry:

Great place to stay if you want to ride your legs off some other time.
  • I am hoping to go as well. Lourdes is about 24 miles away, on fairly direct roads and I am looking at accommodation there, as there seem to be vacancies. Not sure how I will get from Lourdes to Pau on the day, don't really want to have to cyle it, given what awaits. How are posters on this topic getting there?
  • alp777
    jasonoh wrote:
    I am hoping to go as well. Lourdes is about 24 miles away, on fairly direct roads and I am looking at accommodation there, as there seem to be vacancies. Not sure how I will get from Lourdes to Pau on the day, don't really want to have to cyle it, given what awaits. How are posters on this topic getting there?

Hi Jasonoh

Have you got your entry yet? How are you getting to France?
  • Hi,
    working on my entry - doing it through a charity. As for getting there it is probably the train or taking the car - but it is a very long drive! and may need splitting into 2 days perhaps. Flights are booked already or very expensive at this stage.
  • alp777
    jasonoh wrote:
    Hi,
    working on my entry - doing it through a charity. As for getting there it is probably the train or taking the car - but it is a very long drive! and may need splitting into 2 days perhaps. Flights are booked already or very expensive at this stage.

Unless i can get accommodation in Pau (very doubtful) i will probably end up staying in Lourdes. If we were both drive then one of us could leave a car at the finish and the other could drive to the start. Just an idea? I will keep an eye on this thread to see what your plans are or alternatively you can PM me.

Cheers
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I stayed in Aas for the 08 Etape, a beautiful little Village about 50 mins from Pau, so not ideal, but it was cheap and we had 2 cars with us and drove down in 2 days.

Map

I wanted to do the Etape this year but am a bit miffed that's it's down South again, just makes for a far trickier journey. Having said that, the Tourmalet is an epic climb!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

I wanted to do the Etape this year but am a bit miffed that's it's down South again, just makes for a far trickier journey. Having said that, the Tourmalet is an epic climb!

+1 - was hoping for the Alps but when I heard it was the Pyrenees again I decided to give it a miss. Still mentally scarred by the weather, don't think I've ever felt colder on a bike than I did descending the Hautacam!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    MatHammond wrote:

+1 - was hoping for the Alps but when I heard it was the Pyrenees again I decided to give it a miss. Still mentally scarred by the weather, don't think I've ever felt colder on a bike than I did descending the Hautacam!

Yeah that was pretty miserable. So unlucky with the weather that day.
  • Snoppy
    Snoppy Posts: 37

Do you remember on the ride down Hautacam where it slowed down for a small uphill dip? I bet most folk were not keeping the legs spinning on the downhill including me.

All I heard was loud crys as all the lactic acid burned in everyones legs as they spinned up the small hill.

Back for more myself. I need a place to stay also and it is hard to find it but in 2008 there was plenty of places in Pau. So I would not worry about it, if you have a week before you get there this will give time to find a place. However if your just over or 3/4 days then it is harder,
  • Hi Alp777,

Have you sorted out your hotel now? I am in the same position and could be interested in staying in Lourdes and sharing a car to the start/from the finish.

Let me know if you are interested.
  • Snoppy
    Snoppy Posts: 37
    I was going through a list of places here and there is some places still available in Pau.

http://www.pau-pyrenees.com/fr/hebergement_liste.php