Tips for a first 100 mile ride

2»

Comments

• Some good advice here and (with hindsight having just joined) I would say never mix MTBs and road bikes on such a big outing - the steady pace is just so different and going for a 100 miler is all about steady and comfy IMO.

For anyone else doing it I would say know the route and try to break it down into bitesize chunks. Pace yourself to each point and ideally have an escape route if someone is not feeling it on the day or mechanicals are driving you mad. The hardened roadies on here think nothing about 100s, but for me they are a big challenge and an achievement in themselves, not just 100 miles in the training diary, so I need to plan ahead, think about fuelling (just keep eating...) and try and enjoy it. For many of us, just doing 100 is a goal in itself, train hard leading up to it then take it easy on the day. If you are feeling fresh after 80, go mad for the last 20.
  • What was your route a loop or straight ride ??
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Flasheart wrote:
    Chamois Cream :wink: Your bits will thank you

On rides that long I usually take a small tube of some sort of butt lube with me. Those occasional hot spots can be quite a pain in the *ss if you don't have at least something
    greasy to put on it. I usually take a small tube of petroleum jelly(Vaseline) along. Have never regretted it. You'll also be a hero to anyone who is having chafing "issues".