Look 565 bike

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Thinking of getting one of these with Rival, Mavic K. SLs and so on. Will be used as a 'best bike', especially for long distance stuff but general road duties too.

Any opinions on this bike?

Anybody got a Look? If so please state height and bike size - I'm 5'9'' and going for a medium. Felt right when ridden.

Thanks
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• I think they look fantastic! I want one just to hang on my wall in my bedroom!! But I only like the black ones and the white ones, the coloured frames don't look quite as good!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I loved my Look and wish I hadn't had to sell it.

Medium should be poifick for you.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I have a 386 in a 57cm frame size and am 6'0" and it fits me well. Built for me with Ultegra a few years ago and I love it. Black with CF visible in several places - looks stunning IMHO depsite being a few years old now.

Cant offer any comments on the new ones though.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I've got a nude carbon 585 and it is indeed a lovely thing. I find it hard to imagine that I'll find a bike I'd rather own. As Nap D, just poifick. BTW mines a medium and I'm 5' 9" ish too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a 585 Optimum on order. I'm a little short of 6-2 and ordered large (though I tested a medium and that felt pretty good surprisingly enough - the large will end up much the same in terms of relative placement of the contact points but with less seat tube!). BTW - my torso is short for my height so I doubt I'm 3 inches taller in the body than you. I was fitted at Epic - I hope they are right!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • passout
    Good stuff, thanks. No bad points then?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Anonymous
    passout wrote:
    Good stuff, thanks. No bad points then?

No.
  • Anonymous
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have a 585 Optimum on order. I'm a little short of 6-2 and ordered large (though I tested a medium and that felt pretty good surprisingly enough - the large will end up much the same in terms of relative placement of the contact points but with less seat tube!). BTW - my torso is short for my height so I doubt I'm 3 inches taller in the body than you. I was fitted at Epic - I hope they are right!

I'm the same height as you and found an XL to be a little on the small side! (It had a 57cm top tube. 58 is the best for me...)
  • Yesterday I bought an '08 595 frame, size L and I am 5' 10''. Had a bike fit done and I have built it up today and seems to fit ok sitting on it in the lounge!
  • rolf_f
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm the same height as you and found an XL to be a little on the small side! (It had a 57cm top tube. 58 is the best for me...)

It's all a bit confusing! On the medium, I was still too far from the hoods with the normal size bars on the bike. I can see with me being disproportionately long in the leg that I'd want a smaller frame than someone of similar height but somehow I'd have thought someone 3 inches shorter than me should still need a smaller frame!

Doesn't help that the frame geometry jump of a Look L to XL is a bit odd. The seatpost increases by 65mm between L and XL but only by 10mm between M and L. The top tubes increase by about 15mm in both cases. Don't know what to think.
  • Anonymous
    Brommers76 wrote:
    Yesterday I bought an '08 595 frame, size L and I am 5' 10''. Had a bike fit done and I have built it up today and seems to fit ok sitting on it in the lounge!

Sounds bob on that...
  • Anonymous
    Rolf F wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

It's all a bit confusing! On the medium, I was still too far from the hoods with the normal size bars on the bike. I can see with me being disproportionately long in the leg that I'd want a smaller frame than someone of similar height but somehow I'd have thought someone 3 inches shorter than me should still need a smaller frame!

Doesn't help that the frame geometry jump of a Look L to XL is a bit odd. The seatpost increases by 65mm between L and XL but only by 10mm between M and L. The top tubes increase by about 15mm in both cases. Don't know what to think.

If you are short in the torso then you are probably ok on a medium then...
  • rolf_f
    NapoleonD wrote:
    If you are short in the torso then you are probably ok on a medium then...

Going large anyway so hopefully it will all work out - comforting words appreciated!!! If I was guessing, I'd say that ideal fit would be somewhere between L and XL. The medium did feel OK - in theory, the worst that could happen with that is squashed up back due to too short top tube but as it is Epic are going to put compact reach bars on so I don't think overly long top tubes are a serious concern. Daren't think what size I'd have ended up with if I'd gone to a chain - certainly something too large.

And at least the large 585 is apparently not that compact a frame so I shouldn't end up with too many yards of seatpost showing :lol:
  • passout
    Is the above bike (53cm) a Medium then? Looks great by the way.
  • passout
    I do find all the Look models quite confusing. Some a more sportive orientated than others I seem to think. Is there a system to these numbers? Also does anyone know the 565 specifically? I think it has been replaced by a newer version with a new number of course.
  • proto
    Yes, 53 is a medium.

Here's mine in an earlier incarnation. Now has Record U/T chainset and Skeleton brakes, plus 3T carbon bars and stem. Must get arount to weighing it. :D

585-ES.JPG
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    passout wrote:

Thanks, yes I believe the 53cm is Medium, but have a look here at the specs: -

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/uk/route/cadres/585.html

IIRC the 565 wasn't the most desirable of LOOK frames, a number of people are knocking them out dirt cheap as the reviews weren't too favourable
  • passout
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    passout wrote:

Thanks, yes I believe the 53cm is Medium, but have a look here at the specs: -

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/uk/route/cadres/585.html

IIRC the 565 wasn't the most desirable of LOOK frames, a number of people are knocking them out dirt cheap as the reviews weren't too favourable

Yes I'm hoping to get an ex-display (not demo) full bike - Rival, Mavic SLs, nice carbon bits - for 1.5k. I have found a couple of reasonable reviews which basically said it 's good to ride but not all that pretty (inset joke as appropriate). Personally I thought it looked fine but not quite as good as some other Look bikes - anyway my last bike was a Ribble! If anyone could point me in the direction of any reviews....

Some interesting posts here - thanks.
  • passout
  • proto
    I understood the 565 to be the same geometry to the original 585, one difference between the two being an alum BB insert in the 565 but Ti in the 585. I notice the finish weave is different too, but this maybe purely cosmetic.

The 585 is now available in three specs, I think, 1) ultra stiff, 2) standard and 3) 'sportive' model with longer head tube and shorter top tube.

I don't think mere mortals would notice any ride difference between a 585 and a 565.
  • passout
    Yes, that's what I thought. I guess if you are paying full price (especially for a frame) you may as well get your dream bike - the 585. However I'm not and I've got a limited budget so the 565 will be fine.

The three specs thing is interesting - anyone know what they are called / how to tell the difference?
  • rolf_f
    The standard 585 is called Origin, the sportive version is the Optimum. I think the ultra stiff one might be a 595 variant.
  • passout
    Thanks Rolf - that helps.
  • proto
    There was a 585 Ultra in 2008, maybe 2009 too, but it is no longer listed on the LOOK website. There was a 585 Elle too, I think it was same spec/geometry as the Optimum but with more a 'girlie' paint job i.e. pastel shades for the decals
  • passout
    I have to say their website doesn't help very much either.
  • Slow-N-Old wrote:
    I bought last year a KG386 and loved it so much, but it is a little large for me, so am selling the frame, I bought a couple of weeks ago a 585 as per the picture: -

look585rhs800.jpg

I'm 5'10 with a 31" inside leg and this slightly sloping 53cm is so comfortable.

The whole bike is coming in at around 14lb, for climbing it is just brilliant, handling is just fantastic.

I wanted a Colnago, but just couldn't get one at the right price, so I compromised and went for this, have to admit it is a rather nice compromise 8) :D

That's a nice bike. I like those wheels too, I used to have a pair myself...
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Thanks magliaceleste,

I was sorely tempted to buy some 2nd hand Zipps, but thought that I would then only be restricted on days with little wind, so I went for these and am so impressed and at 1400 odd gms, they fly (Shame I don't :cry: ).

The frame comes in at 990gms and the forks at 325, so they really are light.

I have only been out twice since building it last week and only managed 75 miles, but it flies up the hills and is very stable coming down, best so far is just under 40mph!

I now feel that the bike fits me, instead of with my old frame trying to make me fit the bike.

Only things to change on it are some nice record skelton black brakes and possibly change the tape to some nice black Fizik
  • Steveorow
    Steveorow Posts: 162
    Agreed the LOOK websites not helpful but it implies that LOOK have stopped doing the 585 Ultra for 2010 . Here is my 585 Ultra 2008 IIRC frame . You can still get 2008 and 2009 ULTRA frames on some sites at knock down prices .

585rev1.jpg
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I reckon a lugged Look will be my next frame.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    ^^ that does look lovely

that said I really like the lines of my old KG386

not quite as modern looking as those frames and a little twitchy on the downhills but I still enjoy riding it :lol: Here it is before the Adamo saddle and all black Conti GP4's 8)

219ae424.jpg

I never really seen much written about Look frames so dont know what people think of them compared to the more widely known brands, but the newer bikes look cracking.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...