Have I just ruined a brand new frame? (Super & Nick)

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
There are no names that you could call me, that I haven't already called myself. :x

I am absolutely furious at my stupidity, and I fear I have ruined a brand new steel frame. I was just about to undertake a bit of work on the new bike, and placed the frame in the bike stand when I noticed a problem. I usually clamp via the seatpost, but for some reason, I must've clamped the top tube during the build and caused the damage.

As you can see, at some stage I've managed to clamp at the point of the cable guides, and in the process deformed the tube by pushing it inwards. I'm not even a strong bloke, so I'm astonished how I didn't notice. It's a brand new build, which I haven't even had a chance to ride yet, and maybe I won't get the chance to either.

I can't believe how big of a **** I can be at times.

CIMG4956.jpg

CIMG4953.jpg

CIMG4955.jpg

CIMG4954.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• Hey up, mate. Added now!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it will be alright to be honest, but keep checking it!
  • Cheers, mate.

There are no paint cracks etc., but I feel as sick as a dog (ironic). I'm pretty sure that it didn't arrive like that, so it can only have happened here or at the LBS when faced. I'd say there's more chance of me doing it than them.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one reason that the first thing that i do is fit the seat post.

TBH i would not worry about the slight damage.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • a good steel frame should be fine with a little dent like that
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • Cheers, guys.

I can't believe I've done that...I always clamp the seatpost. I suppose it'll forever be an unsightly reminder of my stupidity. Will be even more noticeable when I run it geared.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes you are an ar$e :roll: :lol: but you wont be the first to do that and look on the bright side you wont make that mistake again

Why not drop On-One a line confessing all. You never know after rolling about the floor laughing for a few minutes they might just do you a deal on a replacement frame.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Yes you are an ar$e but you wont be the first to do that and look on the bright side you wont make that mistake again

:lol::lol::lol:

I did also email On One earlier, but a cheap replacement would be out of the question because I got the last 14" (ooer, Missus). :(
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Have you try to polish the damage off ? :lol:
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I did try that, but it didn't work! :?

Though I have now wrapped two rolls of gaffer tape around the offending area, which has made it disappear! :D
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I dented an ally cannondale frame a bit like that on the trail once (quite literally dropped it sideways on a rock, amazing how easily damaged these new fangled thin tubes are! )Despite my protestations that it was f3kk3d Mrs B refused to let me replace it :roll: . In the end I rode it for another 5 years no problems and still have it in my basement as a "spare bike"

so long as there's no penetration through the tube and the frame is still straight then I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Keep an eye out for cracks propogating but I think you'll be OK
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day