juicy 3 piston removal - work around...

gustie
gustie Posts: 118
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
need to remove pistons as they are sticking out and not returning fully

read the manual and it says to use a high pressure airline to blow the pistons out - BUT i dint have one.... is there any home method of removing them safely?

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pump them out as far as you can.

one can be popped out. then split the caliper and pull the other out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gustie
    gustie Posts: 118
    pump them out with the fluid in the system do you mean?

ta
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Yep, just be careful as the fluid is nasty corrosive stuff (to paint anyway). Remove the caliper from the bike completely to avoid a totally cock up.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Do you have the link to the technical sheet your using? I think I'll be needing to do this soon. If you have managed to remove the pistons, have you got any tips?

Many thanks

Covert Codger
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is all on the sram Web site.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I just fixed a m8's set of 10 year old old hope brakes which had 3 of its 4 pistons seized; I drained all the fluid out and then used a bike pump to blow the pistons out (connected via some tube to the fluid outlet, obviously taking care not to let fluid into the pump and only using a single downword stroke so as not to pull fluid into it).

The tricky bit was that the pistons would come out one at a time (depending on how badly it had locked up) so I had to lay a thin-ish allen-key between the pistons to stop them comming fully out so as to keep the unit air tight untill all 4 pistons had shifted.

Managed to do it though and gave everything a good clean; they all seem to be working fine now.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2