Freehub compatibility?

goosey
goosey Posts: 103
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!
I am looking for a freehub to fit an anonymous hub - sorry that's vague but here's what I know:
It came on a Giant bike
It has one cartridge bearing (size 6000z) which supports the axle.
It is removed with a 12mm hex wrench
Giant kindly sent me a replacement but they have sent one for a cup and cone setup. I fear they will draw a blank.
In which case - does any other hub manufacturer produce something that sounds compatible?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take it to your LBS (giant dealer) they should be able to help.

Or post clear detailed pictures and someone might recognise it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • goosey
    Can't seem to get Fotopic to work on this forum - but here are the links if anyone can be bothered clicking through :roll:

http://photosbyneil.fotoblog.co.uk/p63519828.html
    http://photosbyneil.fotoblog.co.uk/p63519830.html
    http://photosbyneil.fotoblog.co.uk/p63519829.html
  • nicklouse
    looks like a generic diatec or formula one.

like i said LBS/giant dealer time. as both makers have more than one similar body.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • goosey
    Thanks nicklouse
    I have already been on to Giant UK. Unfortunately they said this morning they don't have any. Will try the local bs
  • nicklouse
    Sorry but i often wonder why people dont go directly to the local seller of what ever brand bike they have, as most of the time they will have stock of the parts that are needed for service etc. or if not they will know how to spot the differences and get the correct parts in (if available).
  • goosey
    Taken it to 2 local bike shops including the Giant dealer and neither has seen anything like it.
    Giant UK say they don't have any.
    Sigh....new hub time?
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    Have a look one Formula hubs site http://www.formulahubs.com/ see if you can identify what hub you have as from those pictures that freehub looks the same as the one off my brothers GT which is identical to the Forumla DC22 disc hub. If yours is one of those Formula hubs try contacting them direct.
  • goosey
    Thanks Jedi Master - I agree that looks like the same hub. A quick email to Taiwan should resolve matters!
  • nicklouse
    find another LBS it is a fairly standard Freebody.

of the diatec/formula type as already stated. but there are two versions (as stated) that look the same but are not.

hudc-cass-lb.jpg
    hudc-cass-sb.jpg

yes they both have a distance spacer but it is not show.

measure the thread diameter.
  • jedi_master
    goosey wrote:
    A quick email to Taiwan should resolve matters!

They may be able to help if you ask if they could give you details of an import/dealer in the uk.

Or just ask around more shops like Nick said.
  • nicklouse
    and the dealer will say contact your local bike shop.
  • jedi_master
    nicklouse wrote:
    and the dealer will say contact your local bike shop.

Well that wouldn't be very help full, they could at least give you some idea of a bike shop that stocks the products. Save you having to phone every shop near you asking if they have it.