popping ???

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited March 2010 in MTB general
i hear it on dvds like fundermentals.. fluidride ride like a pro.. dirt school.. i read it in books /mags,, my guide in whistler mentioned it,, as you approach the lip pop off it,,,

but what exactly is popping..
is it like when you bunny hop squat down then pull up and back on the bars then rake with the feet to get the bike airbourne..

or is it just simply loading the bike (ie compressing into the bike with your weight) then releasing suddenly off the lip to get airbourne...

anyone enlighten me,, as i would love to practice jumps before i go back to whistler and hit a-line again,,,
were's mr jedi,,, or andy,,,,

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    delcol wrote:

is it like when you bunny hop squat down then pull up and back on the bars then rake with the feet to get the bike airbourne..

or is it just simply loading the bike (ie compressing into the bike with your weight) then releasing suddenly off the lip to get airbourne...

both of these will give you 'pop'...

the second method will give you less upward 'pop', but will 'pop' you enough at speed to give you enough air time to clear most jumps and drops on trails.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    just weighting then quickly unweighting the bike to give it more lift of a jump
    I like bikes and stuff
  • delcol
    i did a jump class in whistler and never thought to ask.. thanks..

i must go practise.. i thought i was doing ok till i hit a-line those tables are huge and scary,,,
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    delcol wrote:
    i did a jump class in whistler and never thought to ask.. thanks..

i must go practise.. i thought i was doing ok till i hit a-line those tables are huge and scary,,,

what is it that you reckon is huge...the length, or the steepness of the take of?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • delcol
    both,, they are big the takeoffs are big and kick you perfectly but they are so long i was having trouble clearing them,,, i kept coming up short and hucking up the the rear wheel or landing on top and killing my speed so i had no chance of the clearing the next one..

i will link my hc vid of a run of a-line you can clearly see me coming up short..

i just need more confidence in hitting them with a bit more speed,, i was kind of phased by the trail and it's reputation...
    this was the time i rode the full a-line trail top to bottom.. well into monkeyhands then the glc drops...
    also need to leatn to pop bettter to get more airtime...
    http://www.vimeo.com/7395257
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    'Whizzpopping is a sign of happiness'

the BFG.
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie