Riding in the snow...

Ho hum
Ho hum Posts: 236
edited March 2010 in MTB general
isn't much fun as I found out tonight when I ventured out in the white stuff for the first time, lol!

I just kept slipping and sliding all over the place. I also found it tough going on my arms.

Anyone have any tips to improve my snow performance?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Loosen up! The best thing about snow is that it shows up if you're tensing up on the bike because you'll be all over the place, you've got to let the bike slide. And also, be a bit more progressive, good constant spins on the pedals, no harsh steering or brakes. It's all good stuff to do all the time, just that it's not usually so obvious that it's helping.

I was taught that you should be able to flap your arms like you're doing the birdie song as you ride, that seems to work.

Oh, and for some reason I find sticking my knees out a bit helps, but maybe that's just me :lol: Last but not least, this is one place that flat pedals really can make a big difference as getting started is tougher, and being able to swing a leg about or stomp a corner or slide and get back on the pedals as fast as possible is useful- and many pedals and shoes will clog with snow if you do this too much.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ho hum
    Thank you for the advice.

I will try and relax more next time I go out.
  • I had a ride in some hard packed icey snow today, was bluddy tough going - fantastic cardio workout though! - everything has a bright side!
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Depending on the "type" of snow, fresh dry snow is grippy as hell, it's only when it freezes underneath that it gets slippery.

It's all about balance and distributing the weight properly.
    Craig Rogers
  • Ho hum
    This was a mixture of well rutted slush that was starting to freeze with ice underneath.

Probably the worst type of stuff lol!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it get boring after a while.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Christ Nick, I'm bored of it, and we've had about a week of it in the last 2 months. You must be about ready to hang yourself by now.
    When does it usually all start to melt up there anyway?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    started on saturday. but it is now snowing again. but will be sunny and minus for the rest of the week....

Normally I get a break from the snow when I am back in the UK for Xmas but this year...... so since mid/early december i have had snow.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mud tyres are spectacularly good in snow but basically riding in snow is fun for about the first 10 minutes.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    .blitz wrote:
    basically riding in snow is fun for about the first 10 minutes.

thats a bit harsh.....

i enjoy riding in the snow...slip-slidin all over the place is fun!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I used to travel back and fore to Stockholm on a regular basis and I remember one trip in late March.

The day before I phoned up one of the guys I worked with to see what the weather was like.

He said "Spring has come and all the snow has gone. It's 10 degrees and sunny".

Woohoo I thought.....

Got off the plane the next day to -20 degrees and 2 foot of snow.

I questioned him, and his answer was....

"It came back"........

Bloody freezing as I didn't take winter clothes........

Still, I do miss going to Sweden, love the place!
    Craig Rogers
  • Northwind
    .blitz wrote:
    basically riding in snow is fun for about the first 10 minutes.

Naaaaaah. Well, OK, maybe ;) Depends on the rider and the snow, I love it myself but even I get fed up when it's slushy or icy. But decent snow is a gift.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    But decent snow is a gift.

Depends how much decent snow,

An inch of fresh snow that the tyres can bite into is great

8 inches to a foot on all the berms at Glentress wasn't much fun!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • cee
    RichMTB wrote:

better than it was last weekend.....

all that snow had compacted down to sheet ice...on the berms!

what a hoot i had coming down!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I had a laugh riding in the snow, though it was hard going at the top of the hills where it had drifted to six inches deep!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I found that riding in the snow was serious hard work. I live at the bottom of a hill and no matter how much I relaxed it didn't ever glide!

I am so glad that the snow is gone and have been experiencing some great sunshine this last week!! perfect weather for a beautiful weekend of ridng!
  • Northwind
    Big demo day at Glentress tomorrow, half of the centre is effectively closed because of snow, add hundredss of riders on unfamiliar bikes and inappropriate demo-bike fast light tyres, and novices trying mountain bikes on for size... I predict total carnage :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ho hum
    Northwind wrote:
    Big demo day at Glentress tomorrow, half of the centre is effectively closed because of snow, add hundredss of riders on unfamiliar bikes and inappropriate demo-bike fast light tyres, and novices trying mountain bikes on for size... I predict total carnage :lol:

LOL!

I went out cycling again on Wednesday night and I had a much better experience after taking your advice about loosening up. Most of the slush had turned to ice as well so it was actually easier to ride on than when I went out last weekend.

Going out for a ride again tonight and I hope to have a similarly pleasant experience.
  • cee
    Northwind wrote:

nah..apparently they are starting at the hub bike shop and only using the very lowest trails for the demo loop...so fairly new climb with log features, then back down the last bit of blue or red....

that bit will be fine.

H.G. Wells.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    RichMTB wrote:

Depends how much decent snow,

An inch of fresh snow that the tyres can bite into is great

I was up there last Sunday and it was great!!!

The freeride wasn't very jumpable but I never really jump anyway :wink:
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:

I was going to marshall at that but decided "Nah I wanna go to trailfaries instead".

Wish I could see the carnage :twisted:
  • Northwind
    peter413 wrote:
    I was going to marshall at that but decided "Nah I wanna go to trailfaries instead".

Come and play afterwards... Demos go on into the afternoon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Come and play afterwards... Demos go on into the afternoon.

I was there. Didn't get to test one though cause I forgot ID :roll: . Some of us trailfaries went out on the loop but it was just mud on the down (Falla Brae). Was great fun beating a Santa Cruz Tallboy to the top though :lol: .

The carnage actually happened when 3 of us split and went to zoom or bust and pennels vennel. The tracks were fine but the fire roads were lethal
  • Northwind
    "Just mud on the down", it was absolutely mint on falla brae today... Wee bit splashy is all. my nice white frame got dirty :cry:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    "Just mud on the down", it was absolutely mint on falla brae today... Wee bit splashy is all. my nice white frame got dirty :cry:

Okay I let out the part that I love falla brae the most in the mud :roll:

Was no where near as bad as Zoom or Bust though. That was REALLY sticky stuff but again great fun!!! :D
  • Northwind
    You need more stem spacers for that sort of riding :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    You need more stem spacers for that sort of riding :lol:

I already have 35mm of spacers under the bars :lol:
  • Northwind
    Yeah I know! It's Andrew from trailfairies (with the Cotics) Just figured out in this thread who you are, based on awesome sherlock holmesish detective work of actually finding out your name :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Yeah I only just worked out who you were. You should so of come up to zoom or bust. If you thought it was muddy last time we did it, this time it was like twice as muddy and really really sticky :lol:

Still just as useless with words online :roll:
  • Northwind
    Yeah, Chris had somewhere to be. Good day though.
    Uncompromising extremist