Planet X sizing

Lady Venom
Lady Venom Posts: 213
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Did a search but couldn't find anything to answer my question - they suggest for someone upto 5'8 either a S or M, but I'm riding a 55cm Bianchi which is equiv a large in Planet X and say a 54 in Pinarello etc. There's quite a big difference between a M and L in PX as well - any advice? I've had a good look at the geometry of both my current bike, a few others and the PX SL Carbon; but the PX recommendation seems of? Do I go with what I know or what they suggest?
I'm not buying just yet but will be a purchase in a few months - just doing the maths and making decisions and dribbling a bit.....

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I wouldn't buy a small, because you can't fit a bottle cage onto the seattube
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • OMG that is not a good reason not to buy a small. Buy the bike that fits!

Sorry I can not help on whick size would be most appropriate it could all depend on your proportions. I recommend giving them a call though as they have been very helpful to me in the past.
  • redddraggon
    amyabcd wrote:
    OMG that is not a good reason not to buy a small. Buy the bike that fits!

Sorry I can not help on whick size would be most appropriate it could all depend on your proportions. I recommend giving them a call though as they have been very helpful to me in the past.

Did I say buy the wrong size?

I just said that I wouldn't buy a small. I'd find a frame with better geometry than the PX.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    Lady Venom wrote:
    Did a search but couldn't find anything to answer my question - they suggest for someone upto 5'8 either a S or M, but I'm riding a 55cm Bianchi which is equiv a large in Planet X and say a 54 in Pinarello etc.

You need to remember that the PX frame is a compact frame. Therefore, you shouldn't compare the seat tube lengths of a compact and "normal" frame. Instead, you need to compare the "equivalent top tube length" of PX with the top tube length of your Bianchi.

BTW: Don't hesitate to call / e-mail PX for advice. They're very helpful and knowledgeable folks.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    TimoH wrote:
    BTW: Don't hesitate to call / e-mail PX for advice. They're very helpful and knowledgeable folks.

...... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    If you're below 5'8" that would suggest a Small according to the Planet X size guide. :D
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1049
    Cycling weakly
  • i'm 5ft 7" and ride a Medium, equivalent to a 54cm top tube on a horizontal top tube bike. Fits very well, rides very nice.
  • mookwalk
    mookwalk Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    Lady Venom wrote:
    Did a search but couldn't find anything to answer my question - they suggest for someone upto 5'8 either a S or M, but I'm riding a 55cm Bianchi which is equiv a large in Planet X and say a 54 in Pinarello etc. There's quite a big difference between a M and L in PX as well - any advice? I've had a good look at the geometry of both my current bike, a few others and the PX SL Carbon; but the PX recommendation seems of? Do I go with what I know or what they suggest?
    I'm not buying just yet but will be a purchase in a few months - just doing the maths and making decisions and dribbling a bit.....

I am 5' 8'' 1/2. I went for the medium. The bike does have a very short seat tube even comparing it to most other compact frames. Ideally I would have gone for something between the small and medium, but I am still happy with the fit. A small would have required a really long stem and for my own personal preference would have been a bit cramped. The only thing I would say is that the bike has a relatively tall head tube. I have a saddle-handlebar drop of about 2 1/2 inches with all of the spacers removed. I am fine with this, but I know other people prefer it to be lower.

If having two bottle cages is that important, (seems to be very important for a lot of people) then you should take note that I can only fit a 500ml bottle in my seat tube cage and even then it is tight.
  • Thanks for the pointers. I have emailed them to ask their advice as well. I'll be up north so maybe they'll let me pop in for a look/try.
  • I'm certain they'll be able to help, their new premises seems to have the space for people to have a look - they've only just moved in so maybe still sorting the place out but I've always found Craig and Stevo very helpful.
  • redddraggon
    skyd0g wrote:
    If you're below 5'8" that would suggest a Small according to the Planet X size guide. :D

but I'm 5'7" and could run a medium with a 11cm stem and still have nearly a 10cm drop
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skyd0g wrote:

but I'm 5'7" and could run a medium with a 11cm stem and still have nearly a 10cm drop

Medium sounds the way forward. I have a 33" inside leg and ape arms, that's my problem!
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I wouldn't buy a small, because you can't fit a bottle cage onto the seattube
    Agree. I can 't fit a bottle cage on the seat tube of my old De Rosa.....one of the reasons I got a new bike and one of the criteria was that I could get 2 bottles on. Fortunately there were enough makes/models in my size which meant I didn't have compromise.
    :)
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    I'm 5 ft 8 1/2 and ride a medium and it fits well. I use a 90mm stem (as I've got short arms) and the handling is fine.

I also wouldn't consider a frame where I couldn't fit a bottle cage on the seat tube...
  • ring them or call in, they are very helpful and will ensure you get the correct size. Including stem/crank length, its worth the trip for a perfect fit.
  • The best way to checl which size to buy is to measure and compare the top tube measurements of the bike you've got at the moment and the Planet X you want to buy.

For info, I'm 5'8" and ride a large with a 120mm stem as I've got short legs and a long back for my height.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The best way to checl which size to buy is to measure and compare the top tube measurements of the bike you've got at the moment and the Planet X you want to buy.

quite right, but remember to compare 'virtual' top tube lengths when looking at sloping frames.
    I don't understand the bottle cage thing. I've got a small Giant TCR with a seat tube of 44cm with double cages and you can use 850ml bottles.
  • redddraggon
    inseine wrote:
    The best way to checl which size to buy is to measure and compare the top tube measurements of the bike you've got at the moment and the Planet X you want to buy.

quite right, but remember to compare 'virtual' top tube lengths when looking at sloping frames.
    I don't understand the bottle cage thing. I've got a small Giant TCR with a seat tube of 44cm with double cages and you can use 850ml bottles.

Giant in that respect are the best, they always put the seat tube bottle cage as low as it'll go.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Planet X frames are substantially more compact than even Giant. I have a PX (in Large) and a Giant (also Large) and there is acres of room for a bottle on the Giant but getting a 750 out on the PX is a bit tricky.

I can perfectly understand "two bottle cages" being a requirement for someone shopping for a bike.

+1 on them being very helpful with enquiries.
  • amyabcd
    amyabcd Posts: 51
    I can perfectly understand "two bottle cages" being a requirement for someone shopping for a bike.

I agree I just meant it was not a reason to pick the medium over a small if one was the correct size.

Lady Venom where are you? Perhaps you could find a local member with the bike thay may let you sit on or just visit the warehouse if that is close by.
  • Just to say, you can fit a 750ml bottle on medium frame. Just do a mod on the cage so it takes a cable tie at the bottom hole of the cage (specialized rib cage works well). Then screw the top hole of the cage through the bottom hole of the seat tube and cable tie the bottom of the cage around the tube.