What are the roads like in N Wales

iain_j
iain_j Posts: 1,941
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Got a week off work and want to catch up on my miles, and get some rides done in the hills. What are the roads like around North Wales - around the Clwyds, Denbigh, and maybe down around the Berwyns? Forecast is still below zero overnight for the next few days - is there much snow/ice still up on the hills and passes?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    They are fine.

Bumpy but fine for real men.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • reddragon, where would you recommend to go starting in Chester? I've not been out for a good while beause of uni and stuff, so just a steady 30k ride with a gentle hill will do me.

Cheers in advance
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    30k wont get you very far ? You could try a loop round Broxton way - go thru the lanes round Tattenhall and co - and come past Carden Park ? That wouldnt be much more than 30k from Chester ?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd go towards Buckley via Lower Kinnerton/Higher Kinnerton, 20miles won't get you very far though.

What part of Chester do you live in?

Can't really do much with ~20miles starting in Chester.

Here's a suggestion though:

http://tiny.cc/86dtZ
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • As reddragon says 20miles is a small amount to do something with.

The roads round Kinnerton / Buckley / Doddleston / Rosset / Llay are OK. Pretty quiet normally too.

If you want to extend out to say 40 miles then there is a lot more possible and some great fun to be had...!
  • It's literally been that long though that I need easing in gently. Also time isn't on my side what with 50 hour working weeks, a social life and a lack of daylight.

I'm basically just down Sealand Road from "A" on your map, so going towards Buckley sounds good ta. How much further is Mold, and is it worth going to on a ride?
  • From the route reddragon posted, a trip to Mold past Padeswood golf course then out through Soughton and Northop heading to Connahs Quay will add approx an extra 15 miles I think. Plus with that route you can get on the cycle path at Connahs Quay/ Shotton and cruise down by the side of the Dee back to Chester.

Have you done the ride from Chester through Eccleston then Rosset to Farndon, then back via Aldford on the other side of the river? That works out as 20 miles... Good ride but the roads are a bit rough in some places after the winters ice / snow.