Will any cleats fit any pedals

grahamfocal
grahamfocal Posts: 167
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Might a little bit of an embarrassing question, but if I buy some cleats for for my shimano 105 pedals will any fit?

Thanks. :oops:

Comments

• you need SPD-SL cleats. not all cleats fit all pedals

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SPD_SL_Cleats/5360008129/

shop around for best price
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Many thanks, was not sure. :D
  • what does 'floating' mean on a cleat.
  • It's how much the cleat allows your foot to rotate whilst still being clipped in.

If you have no float you can't rotate your foot side to side at all it's virtually 'locked' in the same position. This is not good generally as most peoples knees will not stay in a straight line all the time, nor their ankle joints etc. Therefore float allows your leg to move more naturally throughout the whole of the pedal rotation.
  • Might a little bit of an embarrassing question, but if I buy some cleats for for my shimano 105 pedals will any fit?

Thanks. :oops:

I've known "experienced" cyclists to get confused with pedals and cleat combinations :wink:

Usually, if you buy pedals they come with cleats. It's really strange because I recently bought a pair of SPD Shimano M520 pedals with cleats for £18.50, yet if I just wanted the cleats bought separately they were £13 for a few pressed bits of metal. :shock:

So, it might be worth looking for a pair of cheap Shimano SPD-SL pedals that includes cleats and have the pedals as spare for a few pounds more then the cleats bought separately. :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • All very helpful indeed, thanks all.

I have found some yellow Shimano on:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28895

inc free post, so not bad at all, with a bit of 'float' get me using tec speak.

This forum is the best, only asked the question hour a go, and got the answers already.

Nice one :D:D:D

In case you are interested I got a Ridley Gladius (bought from RollingThunder) just want to get on it now (typical raining the last week :roll: ), had a Scott CR1 a year a go, in my opinion the Ridley is a superior bike, sorry off topic there.
  • All very helpful indeed, thanks all.

I have found some yellow Shimano on:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28895

inc free post, so not bad at all, with a bit of 'float' get me using tec speak.

This forum is the best, only asked the question hour a go, and got the answers already.

Fast replies because the weather so poor :(

Yep, those SPD-SL cleats are OK and a good price. Just been on ebay and you can get them for £12.99 free p&p.

Also you can buy Shimano 105 R540 pedals and cleats for £24.50 inc p&p.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • +1 for buying pedals if you need to replace cleats!

Threaded one of the screws that came with my first set of pedals, and it was £3 more to get a spare set of pedals + cleats rather than just the cleats.

Not sure how they manage to price cleats so ridiculously high
    exercise.png
  • desmosedici
    desmosedici Posts: 117

Not sure how they manage to price cleats so ridiculously high

Same principle as pricing razor blade refills.