Prescription cycling glasses

Bookish
Bookish Posts: 26
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Can anyone recommend any makes of cycling glasses with prescription lenses as my watering eyes are doing my head in. Oh and best places to buy? Seen a few websites but I'd like to go off recommendations rather than an impulse buy.

Comments

• Splee
    Splee Posts: 9
    Have you thopught about contact lenses with glasses?
    I tend to wear cheap safety glasses from work with some cheap lenses (daysoft) only cost me £13 for a months supply (32 pairs).
    I'd worry too much about breaking glasses if.........sorry when I come off! :oops:
    plus you could buy those interchangable lens glasses that are all over the net for 20-30 quid so you can adjust to the conditions
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    My last 2 pairs have been from these:
    http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,9
    Thoroughly recommend them.I have a pair of Sprint(gold mirror lens)which i now use for road-riding and a pair of Cobra(transitions)which i used on the MTB.
    Not cheap but i paid £120 on offer for a pair with transitions lenses.My 1st pair are now 4 years old and have survived countless crashes 8) I originally wanted Oakleys but my prescription is far stronger than Oakley do and i can't get contacts for my condition.
  • My eyes stream badly as well. Getting a pair of Rudy Project Rideons with the Rx inserts cured the problem and I don't have to touch my eyeball each time I go cycling. Some say they look a bit funky, but they when you look from the inside out, they look fine. The cheapest place for Rudy Project are here:

http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/

They have a shop in Castleford.

Whichever you get - cheap glasses and contacts or purpose made glasses - wrap around lenses are a must and either is going to cost £100+.
  • Thanks for the links and info guys, you've been really helpful :D ......just gotta wait til pay day and suffer in the mean time :cry:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    [quote="Tank-slapper"Whichever you get - cheap glasses and contacts or purpose made glasses - wrap around lenses are a must and either is going to cost £100+.[/quote]

I get full coverage from my £2.99 Bolle safety glasses ;) No need to spend £100+ here.

(another recommendation for contacts, btw, I don't wear mine much because I find them a hassle but for riding I don't like to use anything else)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    I get full coverage from my £2.99 Bolle safety glasses ;) No need to spend £100+ here.

The cost of the contacts was included in the £100+. However, it seems the price of contacts has come down a lot since I last looked (some time ago admittedly) and you could probably do this option for £30-£50.
  • Think I'm gonna get the Rudy Project Wizaard with an insert. Now I can't find anywhere that explains the lense colour options, I know that yellow/ orange brightens everything on dark days as I use orange safety specs at work but when does blue or pink give you an advantage? Sorry for the amatuer questions :oops:
  • I use Alpina PSO Swing glasses, they don't look amazing, but they do the job and can change lense colour. Vision Express do em even if they say no lol they do, they just might not realise
  • Take a look here and click on 'lens simulator':

http://www.rudyprojectuk.com/

The only thing wrong with Rudy's is that you can't specify which lens you want with which frame. For example, you can't buy the silver Wizaard frames with red lenses. You can only buy the silver frame with either laser orange or laser blue lenses. If you wanted red lenses, you would have to accept the black frame. The Wizaard doesn't allow you to change lenses either, so you can't buy different colour spares.

I have the photochromic red impactX in my Rideons - a very good colour and the plastic seems indestructible. Lots of lens colour choice with these glasses as well, but you will have to shell out 50 quid more.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Optilabs do a good job but are dear at £160/£175- especially when you leave them behind in a cafe every so often. Cheaper option is Tesco. Glasses come with prescription insert for £40. And you can return anytime for a new pair or ask for your prescription to be updated. The shaded fronts can be removed at night if you just want to see with the clear prescription lens.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Optilabs do a good job but are dear at £160/£175- especially when you leave them behind in a cafe every so often. Cheaper option is Tesco. Glasses come with prescription insert for £40. And you can return anytime for a new pair or ask for your prescription to be updated. The shaded fronts can be removed at night if you just want to see with the clear prescription lens.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    oakley all the way if they can do your perscription...

oakley quality is awesome.. i never tried rudyprojects but they score some good reviews..
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    A friend has some Adidas evil-eyes with this little clip in prescription insert that goes behind the lens...he swears by them...but they don't go up to my prescription. :cry:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    I've been using contact lenses for years and really really can't recommend them highly enough. I used to run a mile at the thought of contacts, but since getting them they really have been a life changer (Was able to take up Tae Kwon do, compete in Triathlons etc).

Even in plastics I'd wince at the idea of busting them on the trail. Even for my shocking prescription they come in at £30 a month and I always cycle \ ski whatever with a spare set.

Please give them a try.

regards T1b
  • delcol wrote:
    oakley all the way if they can do your perscription...

oakley quality is awesome.. i never tried rudyprojects but they score some good reviews..

+1 on Oakley quality, I'll always buy Oakley glasses for everything but their prescription lenses are INSANELY expensive, like up to (and possibly beyond) £300-£400 from conversations I had with their rep and my old manager. Oh, and that's excluding the frame! I've never got an exact quote off them though so I couldn't give an accurate valuation.

Contacts and Oakleys are the way forward though, it's certainly what I'm doing when I can be bothered to see my optician.
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i now have 4 pairs of oakleys, all perscription.
    the only thing i would say is my new pair (oakley 5's ducatis with transition lenses) took nearly 7 weeks to get ready!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    http://www.contactlenses.co.uk/details12_3.html#reviews

£13 for 30 days supply. If you're only going to wear them for cycling it might be a good option. use then throw away at the end of your cycle

I've been considering it also as I hate contacts...lasted a fortnight and got fed up with the hassle of putting them in and taking them out each day and stuck with glasses but I;ve been thinking for a while of getting some contacts for out cycling
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's exactly what I do... Well, I wear them if I'm going out sometimes as well, but day to day I can't be bothered with them. So a month's supply of disposables from Dolland and Atchison lasts for 3 or 4 months, works out pretty cheap that way.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i went down the contact lense route, another benefit that you don't immediately think about is that your peripheral vision is sorted as well as your straight ahead vision, so you have better all round visual accuity
    what are brakes for again
  • Guy, my OH, got some great prescription riding glasses at Specsavers on the 2 for 1 offer when he got new glasses. The optician was really good about coming up with the right tint and they were great. When they got badly scratched our local optician in morzine replaced the lenses and they're still going strong after a couple of years. He just got some of their decent sports sunglass frames.

I always go for contacts, but if you can't get on with them then this seems a good option. We were both amazed and really impressed with how good both opticians have been at getting the lenses right.