Daily hypocrisy Fail

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
They're outraged about this.

Whilst making their typical calls for licenses, compulsory insurance etc for cyclists.

Apparently "genuine dog lovers could end up paying for efforts to control a small number of ‘devil dogs’".

No parallels with a cycling license or permit then :roll:
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• Good spot.

No, Down Spot! DOWN!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Good spot.

No, Down Spot! DOWN!

Badoom tish!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Love dogs, despite a mild phobia. Cool animals and very loyal if you train them right. Trouble I think the vast majority of modern owners dont understand dogs (especially if its their first)... Unlike with cycling where we can control ourselves, dogs have to be controlled by another party.

On the estates around here there are s*** loads of people buying rotties, staffies and so on. No understanding of how to control them. You can be walking along and come face to face with a big dog like a rottie off the lead (has happened to me twice - the owner on one ocassion was taking a p*** down the back of someone's car).

I dont ever remember this many dog owners. There seems to have been an explosion in the last few years. Brother's mate is a vet and he reckons owners just dont consider vets bills and proper food, and how much the thing will cost them over time. I also know people in the charity kennel business and they say the same and are struggling to keep up.

I'm not surprised about this and actually think it might help a few people if they went on a course before they laid down the cash.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The proposals are among a range of measures to overhaul dog laws in England and Wales being considered by senior Ministers, who are expected to announce a public consultation within weeks.

So it's a scare piece about a consideration for a new policy on which the public may be consulted. What terrible journalism.
  • downfader
    GiantMike wrote:
    The proposals are among a range of measures to overhaul dog laws in England and Wales being considered by senior Ministers, who are expected to announce a public consultation within weeks.

So it's a scare piece about a consideration for a new policy on which the public may be consulted. What terrible journalism.

Exactly. Nothing has even been proposed at government level really - much like the liability issues already slated by the paper with cyclists. :lol:
  • GiantMike
    Maybe there should be a journalist competency test.
  • GiantMike wrote:

You could get them to write a lead story... :wink:
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    There's an election coming up, they are testing the waters to see if it's a vote winner :roll:
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the other day i was riding my bike through a small village a lady was walking with two dogs both on leads so i proceeded by giving about 8 feet of room nearly up the middle of the road because it was very quiet and no cars coming. because of the light on the bike i think the large dog started snarling and wanted to rip my throat out. thats when i discovered she had one of those leads with a reel which lets the dog wonder about 40 feet away and she hadnt locked it out. that coupled with the fact she could hardly hold it i suddenly found myself in a crap shoot. only by luck and already giving massive clearance i stayed on two wheels not that i think the walker even noticed. i wonder what they would make of that, out of control dog owner nearly grounds cyclist.
  • GiantMike
    edited March 2010
    The Daily Mail would have you, the dog owner and the dog shot.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    The Daily Mail would have you, the dog owner and the dog shot, then they'd blame pregnant teens, foreigners and PC games for the violence...
  • Makes you think, what would the profile of a Daily Mail hack be?

Lives in Home counties or rural village
    Owns a fairly smart car - Saloon, Estate or 4x4
    Owns Barbour Jacket collection
    Probably has an Aga
    Has always voted Tory
    Has lots of twatty little 'name place card' dinner parties
    House has net curtains
    Lives in an area where everyone knows everyone
    There are no street corners for hoodies to live on
    Everyone in the village is white
    Has a golden labrador retriever
    Pays more than their fair sahre of council tax
    Presumably has to fight tooth and nail with the council to have their bins emptied
    They don't mind 'coloured' types, but......

anything else...?
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Also....

Has a shotgun
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    and a secret stash of spanking mags
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • downfader
    and a secret stash of spanking mags

I was going to mention swingers club, but you pipped me to it. :D
  • Forgot to add...

Shops in M&S
    Is a member of the W.I.
    Owns those walking stick/ski pole looking things
    Wishes it was 1952
    Heart rate that rises to 200+ when they see immigrants/hoodies/hear the dambusters theme
    Listens to Terry Wogan
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • downfader
    Forgot to add...

Shops in M&S
    Is a member of the W.I.
    Wishes it was 1952
    Heart rate that rises to 200+ when they see immigrants/hoodies/hear the dambusters theme
    Listens to Terry Wogan

Hold on..! I shop at M&S at times and have those walking sticks..! :shock:

Hold on, wait.. I dont have an aga to its alright. :wink:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    downfader wrote:
    Hold on..! I shop at M&S at times and have those walking sticks..! :shock:

Hold on, wait.. I dont have an aga to its alright. :wink:

He's a Daily Mail reader, burm him! burn him!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Forgot to add...

Shops in M&S
    Is a member of the W.I.
    Wishes it was 1952
    Listens to Terry Wogan

Will lambast all drug user before reaching for their own stash.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    This paper just loves winding people up.Cyclists,dog owners,cat owners,In fact every or anybody who does not fit into the stereo type world we are all thought to live in.

Stop the planet please ! i want to get off :!:
    bagpuss
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    GiantMike wrote:

You could get them to write a lead story... :wink:

:lol::lol:

got 3 dogs, not a malicious bone in any of them, one ran away from a squirrel the other day :roll:

If anything ever does come of this gossip, it will just lead to far more 'angelic' dogs being abandoned by people who can't or won't pay and either crippling charities or forcing them to destroy perfectly fit healthy happy animals because of the sledgehammer to crack a walnut mentality and the reluctance to actually tackle directly the handful of individuals that are dangerous.

once had a cat that was an evil little b*$^@&d though, that thing thought it had a licence to kill