MTB Security at home

patchesuk
patchesuk Posts: 96
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi all,

Just looking for advice on what measures people are taking to protect their pride and joys!

I am currently lodging with a friend and my bikes are living with me in my room. This needs to change as another bike is being delivered at the end of the month and hence all 3 will need to go into the garage which is is about 50m away from the flat.

I'm considering getting bike insurance and also will need to get some bloody good locking setup.

I am planning to lock all 3 bikes together when in the garage, but the questions I have are:

1. Whats a good bike insurance? Whats the average price I should consider?
2. Do any offer discounts for multiple high end bikes ( I have a Kona Cowan DS/ Commencal Meta 55.2 and a Iron Horse Sunday Team) (I also have a 199 specialized P3 & and Specailized Vegas: but these I won't insure)
3. Are there any other measures I coudl take to protect my bikes?

Really appreciate any advice... thank you!
Clint.
Think I need a bigger Garage.

Comments

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Wireless Alarm for the garage? Keep your best bike in your room? Ground or wall anchors?
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    Hefty massive lock on your garage and bikes.
    Some form of alarm.
    I think there ae some tiny tracking devices you can get so if its stolen, you can get the cops to go fetch it.
    Get some stickers for an "Apollo" bike then plaster them all over your good bikes...? That'll deter the thieves :lol:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Gold rated ground anchor (ideally concreted in)
    19mm motorbike chain
    Serveral coil locks locking wheels together, frame etc.
    Wireless garage alarm (about £3 from ebay)

A very simple idea, but put a blanket over the bikes, it won't stop or hinder a thief who is ripping the garage apart, but if there's just someone quickly 'scanning' the garage, it MAY stop em :lol:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Also that should only come to about £80!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    some mixing and matching,,,, not cheap but their testimonials speek for them selfs...

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ a couple of these should help you keep your bikes.

http://www.torc-anchors.com/index.php look @ their ground anchors and chains/ package deals.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    You might struggle to get the bikes insured in an unattached garage (assuming that is what it is).

I would keep the most expensive bikes in your room, if you can.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a www.torc-anchors.com ground anchor and 2 meters of there heaviest chain (and it is blooming heavy dont drop it on the frame) locking 3 bikes together. Next there is an Abus cable lock through the front wheels. I have a wire running through the frames that if it is cut sounds an alarm cant remember the brand the label has come off and a wireless motion sensor shed alarm I got from wilkinsons. As a final deterent if I am going to be away overnight I slid my workbench in front of the bikes and pile a load of heavy stuff on it.

Total cost of locks and alarms about £200. Insurance is an add on to the contents and comes to about £2.50 per week.

If some tooled up scally really wants the bikes he will have them all you can do is slow them down enough that the junkies after some quick fix money give up and go next door.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Really, you just need to do what the insurance company stipulates. That way, if they're stolen you can claim back. No point spending £500 on security if the thief can shut the door and spend an hour working on the locks undisturbed, when a £50 chain would meet the requirements.

If you're going to lose the bikes anyway, you might as well do the minimum to get them replaced.

Once someone's in, there's a fair chance the bikes will be badly damaged if they're not stolen. How about one of those bars that goes in front of the 'up and over' garage doors to stop them opening?

As others have said, an alarm would be good, don't know if it would be any good being 50m from the house though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Basically what Bails says, get instruction from the insurance company and follow it. Anyone left alone for an hour with tools is going to get through anything you put in their way so make sure you do what you need to be covered (including pics, receipts and valuations on the bikes)

We can't get bike-specific coverage here (dunno why, we've tried as individuals and as a club but we just can't) and local house insurance won't cover anything in a shed/garage/separated storage room if you're a renter (but they will if you're an owner, a distinction that I just don't understand) so in your shoes I'd get a bigger flat :P

currently we have 6 bikes in the house. It's crowded but we manage, although I have been banned from expanding the collection until we can sort something out or I get rid of one, although I think she means sell one of mine rather than one of hers :P

or as suggested put your cheapest bike in the shed and protect it as best you can.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    The lengths a theif will go to for your bike are unbelievable, don't think you'll ever stop them because if they want it bad enough, they'll get it. +1 for bare minimum for insurance.

Neighbour had a ground hook installed infront of the garage door so it wouldn't open with the padlock inplace, always seemed like the best bet to me.

You could try and attach the bikes to the ceiling - horizontally - because a big chain needs a really heavy grinder and most chavs can only lift a big mac.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    The lengths a theif will go to for your bike are unbelievable, don't think you'll ever stop them because if they want it bad enough, they'll get it. +1 for bare minimum for insurance.

Neighbour had a ground hook installed infront of the garage door so it wouldn't open with the padlock inplace, always seemed like the best bet to me.

You could try and attach the bikes to the ceiling - horizontally - because a big chain needs a really heavy grinder and most chavs can only lift a big mac.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    As has been said, if they want the bikes they'll get them.

But, you can make them have to work for them. If you're planning on leaving them for a week (ie don't use it every day) take off the seat, brake pads and padlock the chainring. This prevents them riding off. I sometimes take the wheels off and take them home (£200 to replace!)

Also, beware of anyone watching you come and go. If you see someone ride around the block again until they've gone.

I also believe thieves hands SHOULD be cut off - I've had stuff nicked and know the frustration and rage :evil:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You could always pay Tony Martin to get tooled up and sit in your garage.......
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • patchesuk
    patchesuk Posts: 96
    Really appreciate all teh feedback here.. thank you!

Think for the moment I will have to invest in some goo dlocks (as expected) and have a chat with the girl I'm lodging with to see if I can compromise with her on changing the insurance.. her policy only currently covers bikes upto a value of £500 which isn;t adequate... probably relagate to putting the cheapest bike in the garage and hope for the best!

Again.. thanks for the advice!
    Think I need a bigger Garage.