new rear shock for an Orange Sub5

jomoj
jomoj Posts: 777
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hello

can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for the rockshox sid rear shock on my old sub 5? It no longer holds pressure for more than a day and was never much cop anyway.

Much as I'd like to buy a brand spanking new machine, cashflow forbids it so I'm wondering if there is a more reliable up-to-date shock I could fit to keep the old beast rolling.

cheers

Joe

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    might help as you have given very limited info on the bike.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12678279
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jomoj
    cheers Nick - will measure this up tonight and post the results.
  • nicklouse
    otherwise more info on the frame. year/size etc..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jomoj
    ok - frame size 18", year 2002, Single pivot swingarm mounted forward of BB and about 100mm rear travel.

I'm mainly wondering if I can fit - and if it's worth doing - a valved shock or whether the frame design just isn't conducive to that and I'd be better off sticking to a 'normal' progressive shock.

frame as below (although I think this is the next years graphics)
    7525.jpg
  • nicklouse
    on that size you should not have issues with any shock as long as you get the same i2i and stroke.