Changing over new forks

boxermatt
boxermatt Posts: 40
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought myself a new set of fox forks for my trusty steed and was wondering actually how easy is it to do the job myself.
I ride a 2008 felt compulsion ...................well i did till i went to the north downs and my swingarm decided to detach itself from the frame

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you looked on Parktools?

measure 2 times cut once.

new star nut and dont forget to swap over the crown race off the old fork if you are using the same headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Easy enough with the right tools - I did it last month for the first time myself.

If you're going to cut the steerer, you'll need a hacksaw and some sandpaper to smooth it off.
    Then you'll need a starnut and starnut fitting tool.
    Then a Crown race removal and fitting tool.

Cut the steerer, fit the starnut, remove your crown race from the old fork (assuming you haven't got a new headset), fit the crown race on the new fork, then fit it to the bike.

I think that's about it!
  • Thanks for the advice ill go on the parktools website and get the correct tools
    I ride a 2008 felt compulsion ...................well i did till i went to the north downs and my swingarm decided to detach itself from the frame
  • boxermatt wrote:
    Thanks for the advice ill go on the parktools website and get the correct tools

I got my LBS to do it for me, all for the princely sum of a tenner!

For the sake of £10, whilst also negating the risk making an arse of the job myself on a set of forks that cost so much, it's a small price to pay to have it done right IMO.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Correct Tools?

This is one tool the home mechanic can get away without.

Yes fitting a whole headset then some sort of press is needed, esp. if the headset is a pricy one.

Changing just the race can be done with a hammer and punch with care.

Use very little taps to prise the race off its seat reverting front and back. Then when it's moved enough get a flat head screw driver under it and again prise it up at various intervals very slowly.

To get it back on. lightly grip a set of moules round the steerer, pushing them flush with the race top and hit with the hammer at various points till it seats properly. Done.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Oh yes - you'll need a SF nut setting tool. But if you manage the above, I'm sure your bodging skills will be good enough without the need.
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    nicklouse wrote:
    measure 2 times cut once.

And then measure it again.. and then check that you're cutting on your score mark and not one left by the headset.. and then check you're not attempting it under the influence of alcohol/lemsip..

Anyone want to buy some Toras with a very short steerer? :oops: :roll: