cleaning my bike jacket

baffled biker
baffled biker Posts: 18
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
For commuting purposes i got a bright yellow night vision windstopper jacket, i'm more than happy with the thing but cant get the usual line of dirt out of the back. Anybody know how.
While we are at it , id like to re-waterproof my winter cruiser tights which wash in liquid do you recomend.
thanx ,

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    ingrained road crud is almost impossible to get out completely, just wash it and regard the residual stripe as a mark of honour

for the tights, follow the manufacturer's instructions on the label

if you want to apply a wash-in water repellent then nikwax or grangers are ok, but whle i use them on some climbing/hiking gear i'd avoid them on most cycling stuff. they can damage the fabric's ablity to take up sweat and transport it to the outside

don't use fabric conditioners, they can mess up high-tech fabrics, use a cleaner that is designed for the material, assos cleaner is good
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    nikwax tech wash for washing
    nikwax TX for waterproofing
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Not tried it on my biking jacket, but I use Granger's pure soap and wash-in reproofer for my hill walking jacket.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    For commuting purposes i got a bright yellow night vision windstopper jacket, i'm more than happy with the thing but cant get the usual line of dirt out of the back. Anybody know how.
    While we are at it , id like to re-waterproof my winter cruiser tights which wash in liquid do you recomend.
    thanx ,

Fit some mudguards, then you wont have a line of dirt sprayed up your back.

Too late now, of course. :)
  • +1 on the nikwax
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for mudguards. Gets rid of the problem at source.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    + 1 for mudguards on my bike and Nikwax techwash/proofer when my wife borrows a jacket and uses it without a mudguard on her bike :evil:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    I've got the red Nightvision waterproof. I just wash it straightaway after particularly dirty rides and it hasn't stained so far.