Hawaii tsunami - Darwin awards

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
OK, I'm watching live footage from Hawaii where a tsunami is expected to strike any moment now.

Beaches and flat land has been evacuated - except for one person sitting on the beach and one person out on a surfboard.

I hope they don't get killed but....... how the f**k can anyone be so f**king stupid?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    perhaps they haven't bought into the whole 'universal hysteria' thing.....
  • finchy
    softlad wrote:

I hope that this comes to nothing, but when there's a risk of a tsunami (and waves have already struck other parts of the Pacific), you get away from the sea.
  • softlad wrote:

I heard that the BIG WAVE, was all of twelve inches high. :D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    mercsport wrote:
    softlad wrote:

Tsunamis in the open sea are typically of no great height but when the sheer volume of water hits land and crosses shallows it grows in height and strength. 250,000 killed in SE Asia but Maldives which are only a few metres high largely spared loss of life as they're in open ocean.

Still, 12 inchesnot exactly epic.

The OP's surf dude is either suffering from near terminal scepticism or something tagged as "normalcy bias" where folk sit and watch fatal conditions around them and don't save themselves.

Darwin fodder indeed.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • finchy
    pedylan wrote:
    mercsport wrote:
    softlad wrote:

Tsunamis in the open sea are typically of no great height but when the sheer volume of water hits land and crosses shallows it grows in height and strength. 250,000 killed in SE Asia but Maldives which are only a few metres high largely spared loss of life as they're in open ocean.

Still, 12 inchesnot exactly epic.

The OP's surf dude is either suffering from near terminal scepticism or something tagged as "normalcy bias" where folk sit and watch fatal conditions around them and don't save themselves.

Darwin fodder indeed.

The actual height in the French Polynesian Islands was 13ft.

Surfer has left the water apparently. I think the cops went down for him.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Deep water Tsunami wave heights from crest to trough are typically only a few feet.

So whilst a mere 12 inches might be accurate it could still be a very destrcutive event.

Surfer could have missed the best wave of his (about to be halted) life if the 12 inches was the deep ocean height. I fit was the landfall wave height then yes it's trivial.

Anyway, has there been a Tsunami or just a load of news hours talking about one?
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    where is 'Surf Matt' when he's needed...?? ;)
  • finchy
    pedylan wrote:
    Deep water Tsunami wave heights from crest to trough are typically only a few feet.

So whilst a mere 12 inches might be accurate it could still be a very destrcutive event.

Surfer could have missed the best wave of his (about to be halted) life if the 12 inches was the deep ocean height. I fit was the landfall wave height then yes it's trivial.

Anyway, has there been a Tsunami or just a load of news hours talking about one?

It's hit at various points around the Pacific with varying results. Some people killed on an island off Chile, but apart from that they've had plenty of warning so there'll probably be a low death toll. Hawaii has had some small tsunami waves so looks like our surfer's been lucky. He didn't come out of the water, BTW
  • finchy
    softlad wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Surfer has left the water apparently. I think the cops went down for him.

Blimey. Now that's what I call serving the community :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    softlad wrote:

The unmentionable one ?

He;s probably ridden the wave out already, his Mrs will post some pics soon, although shes not a qualified surfing photographer. :D
  • softlad wrote:

just off Hawaii arguing with some cops :wink:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    It was as high at 3 meters in some places.