9 speed to 10 speed easy?

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
I have a CAAD9 Tiagra which is currently has a 9 speed cassette. How easy is it to change up to a 10 speed? is it just a case of changing the cassettes over and resetting the gears or will i need new shifters etc?

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You need shifters, cassette and chain. The rest will work OK.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    As above, shifters / chain / cassette,
    New prices maybe £250
    Second hand maybe £150
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • what about rear mech? are 9speed ones not only indexed for 9 gears or is it a case of adjusting the high range limiter screw so it can move further out? or doing the same but for further in?

Sorry to chime in there, ive been curious myself.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • John.T
    All indexing is done by the shifter. A 10sp cassette is the same width as a 9sp one.
  • I have a CAAD9 Tiagra which is currently has a 9 speed cassette. How easy is it to change up to a 10 speed? is it just a case of changing the cassettes over and resetting the gears or will i need new shifters etc?

I mainly run 10 speed but some of my bikes are 9. IMHO its just not worth the effort or cash to change just for one cog, sure, upgrade your Tiagra to Ultegra or DA and you will see a big differance in change quality but at some price!
  • billybiker wrote:
    IMHO its just not worth the effort or cash to change just for one cog,

+1
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    +1 to the above.

Unless parts are wearing out or you have broken a shifter I dont think its really worth it.

If you just want the improved shifting quality or to bring all your bikes to 10 speed so you can just swap wheels etc (with teh right setup), then I can understand it, but its not as cheap as you would like. Doesnt help shimano has taken brice bumps due to exchange rate etc
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Would you need new chainrings as well to fit the narrower chain? Or is there enough tolerance that it'll still work?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • John.T
    9sp rings work fine with 10sp.