Training for a 100 mile ride

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
In short, just getting out on your bike will prepare you.

To get the stamina for the said distance, just gradually increasing the distance/time you spend in the saddle each week.

That could be done by say, however much riding you can reasonably fit into your work days and then on your day off going for a longer ride.

As you get fitter you'll find yourself being able to ride for longer, which is what it's all about.

Above all, enjoy it! If it's no fun you'll only end up riding less...

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Aim at increasing your time per-ride (excluding cake stops :wink: ) rather than concentrating on distance. The distance will come naturally. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    keep commuting to work & then use the off days as full on training days - jobs a carrot
  • Stanley222 wrote:

A work colleague has planted a seed in my mind - there is a charity ride in September that is 100 miles long. My question is as I am at present not much more than a recreational rider would it be possible to be ready for a 100 mile ride in 6 months and what sort of training do any of you recommend to get ready for it!?!

You should be able to start off with 25-30 miles, on your new road bike, as you have a cycling base from your riding to and from work. Build up the length of your rides in small increases in distance to avoid injury. Don't go from 30 miles to 60 miles in one go. By June to July you should be able to cover 70-75 miles distance which will enable to tackle the 100 miler in September. As with running, it's the pace that you go at that is the killer.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Yes, gradually work up on your day off, 50 miles takes around three to three and a half hours, don't beat yourself up if its longer, you are training!

So its not to bad to fit training in.

When you can do 50, and have done it a few times, do the same distance the following day. Then rest, you need to give your body time to recover.

I'd train up to 75 miles, try to do it a few times before September, longer is a bit pointless and you need your target on the day.

I'm sure you'll be fine
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • I did my first 100 century last sept in Manchester. I got my bike may time and found the best way was just to get out 2/3 times a week and build the miles up. I did maybe 1.5 hours two evenings of the week and then 4/5 hours on a Sunday.

You will be amazed how quickly you become fitter and how faster you are over time!

Main thing I kept in the back of my mind was just to enjoy myself and not worry about that extra 1mph!

Most I did before the event was about 80 miles, but it is much easier if you try ot get in a decent pack on the day, my ave speed was 5mph faster than I would usually cycle on my own, for less effort!

Good Luck! but remember - ENJOY!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    In addition to the above, you must eat and drink, fail in this and you will not complete the 100. I find it hard to drink enough and have to tell myself you've been on the bike X hours so you should have drunk X pints of liquid, Also start eating straight away, just nibbling will do , have a piece of flapjack or malt loaf in your back pocket and keep having a go at it.
    Above all Enjoy it. It's quite an achievement
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    As above - gently build up to 75/80 miles and you will be able to achieve the 100. And when you get to the September event don't go off too quickly as many people seem to do.
    It might also be useful to find out the profile of the 100 mile course - if its got lots of hills in it you should be doing quite a few training rides which include hills.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Hi all

I will be collecting my first ' proper ' road bike next week and at present only ride a hybrid 2-3 times a week for a 15 mile (round-trip) commute to and from work.

A work colleague has planted a seed in my mind - there is a charity ride in September that is 100 miles long. My question is as I am at present not much more than a recreational rider would it be possible to be ready for a 100 mile ride in 6 months and what sort of training do any of you recommend to get ready for it!?!

I work shifts (6 days/nights followed by 4 off) so training on a work day is fairly limited!

Thanks in advance :wink:
    Is that the Manchester 100?

Agree with what others have said, try to get up to 75 miles by June/July, but there's no harm in doing longer rides.
  • on the road
    Ah, just seen where you are. Is it the Brighton 100 then?
  • on the road
    Or the Wessex 100?
  • Try high5 products or something similiar, to help with energy and rehydration while cycling and after cycling, link below
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/indexUK.php

Keep a piece of flap jack, malt loaf handy just in case you bonk(run out of energy to pedal)
    I Carry 2 spare innertubes a emergancy £10.00(cab fares if you break down) and £5.00 for tea,coffee and cake, puncture repair kit 2 peices of tyre cut to 2inches long in case i split the tyre and can use this as a temporary measure to patch the tyre and some lose change for the telephone if i cant get a mobile signal
    When finished cycling have a drink and eat something with plenty of protein, this helps your muscles recover and repair.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Ride with a cycle club you will find to help improve cycling skills and also rideing in a group helps with cvonserving energy while cycling
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • All you need is the determination and you will manage anything providing you eat right on and before the ride! when i got back into cycling i did 3 comutes to work (16miles round trip) and 2 26 milers then went out and did a 75miler! to be honest it was prety easy as i eat and drank plenty and managed 16.3mph average and i think i could have managed more! where as the guys i went with one of the bonked half way slowing us right down as he only took 1 water bottle and no food!