Worst weekend ever

MadammeMarie
MadammeMarie Posts: 621
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Not only it hasn't stopped raining, but tomorrow I will find out whether I still have a job or not! Two in my team are supposed to go, and I'm pretty sure one of them is me.

And to top it all, the "powers that be" already know who is picked, so why make us spend the weekend like this? The way the banks treat their employees..... :x

What I will miss:

My colleagues
My daily ride,
The gym
Canary Wharf
Cheap lunches

I feel like absolute sh1t. And this weather doesn't help at all!!! :cry:

Comments

• challymoose
    challymoose Posts: 36
    edited February 2010
    Sorry,comment removed.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Sorry to hear of your plight. It is easy to be glib about these things but, who knows, this might be the weekend you look back on as a major turning point in your life.

If riding is out of the question, you could always pick up the biggest umbrella you own and go out for a walk.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I know what you're going through. I was made redundant by an Investment Management firm 16 months ago. I was scheduled for my "find out if it's me" meeting, but then the managers decidede to break for lunch, leaving me with another hour of misery waiting to find out.

On a plus side, although I was out of work for 3 months, I now have a better job, it's not in London and my commute is now through leafy Sussex & Kent lanes.

Fingers crossed for you.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    challymoose

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:55 am
    Not wanting to make you feel worse as i genuinely feel for you,but bankers have had it far too good for far too long and i would keel haul the lot of you!!!!!! ,

+1 True true.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • challymoose
    challymoose Posts: 36
    edited February 2010
    deepest sympathy
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    edited February 2010
    benjboy wrote:
    Not wanting to make you feel worse as i genuinely feel for you,but bankers have had it far too good for far too long and i would keel haul the lot of you!!!!!! ,

+1 True true.

This young lady is having a sh1t weekend, with the distinct possibility of losing her job on Monday, and although you say you feel for her, you just can't resist the urge to have a pop!
    Words fail me, really.

As to OP, I'm genuinely soory to hear of your predicament, hopefully something will come along, soon.

Chin up. You can make the most of any sudden spare time, by training more. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    "Banker" and "works in a bank" aren't necessarily the same thing though - the OP may just work behind the counter, or advise people on mortgages, and not be one of the greedy corporate morons who gambled with other people's money for large 4 and 5 figure bonuses.

Just playing devil's advocate.

It's not nice for anyone to have their job at risk.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • lost my job a while back due to their actions suppose still bitter.removed comments
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    lost my job a while back due to their actions suppose still bitter.removed comments

Thank you, it's kind of you to admit that, and remove your comments.
    I wish you luck with your job search, too.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Sorry to hear that you're caught in limbo - but I can say from personal experience that there are still things that can be enjoyed if it comes to the worst and you end up unemployed.

Instead of the cheap lunches, you'd then be able to cycle to all the nearest local markets and cheap shops to buy your own cheap lunches. And you'll forget all about weekend queues in the shops and at the stalls.

You can get a good amount of exercise with hardly any expense - a couple of dumbbells and an exercise routine, a pair of trainers and a running/jogging route through the local park - can go a long way to keeping yourself in physical and mental shape.

The loss of colleagues is a hard one, one of the hardest, because, although you can still keep in touch out of work, you may not be able to pay your way with them or tune into their after-work frame of mind. But the real friends will remain your friends.

I know from reading your posts that you have an interest in cycle campaigns and also I seem to remember that you studied journalism. Get on your local cyclists group mailing list, go on some of their group rides - it's exercise and a bit of companionship and take your camera with you. As long as you keep your internet connection, blogs are free to set up - you'd have more time to develop that cycling advocacy interest. And that voluntary work you might have wondered about doing, do it for the companionship, the sense of achievement as well as fill in the gap in your CV.

And, while it's true that today il fait un temps de merde, if you hadn't had to work or get all your weekend-stuff out of the way yesterday, you would have been able to get out on your bike. It was mild, with glimpses of sunshine - I even went out in summer mitts instead of the winter gloves yesterday. Spring's stuttering back into life and today's chilly wet weather is just a temporary setback. If you end up out of work, soak up the coming season.

There's a big price to pay if you become unemployed. Without the money, you'll have to go after the priceless things instead.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Have been made redundant 3 times in my life over the years and it never gets any better so I feel for you and hope you get the outcome that you want. All taht I'll say is that after every time I have been made redundant I have ended up in a better position than before. I always view it as an opportunity now to try something different.

Best of luck.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Best of luck for tomorrow and I hope it has a good outcome for you, I was unemployed for two months last year and it was hard, I wish you all the best.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I've been unemployed on and off for 15 years, all down to mental health issues. It's frustrating and downright bloody annoying when you have so much to offer but people don't want you (which is my case). Look on the bright side, you're obviously a professional and you will find something else; for now have a break for a couple of weeks and then attack the job applications.

Good luck!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best of luck MM
  • Happened to me last summer and I think I am just now becoming reconciled to being a full time CakeHag (as opposed to a part-time hobby cakehag before) - only thing I can tell you is that if you feel murky depression coming on, ride it off. If for no other reason, be thankful for the bicycle- Best to you-
  • I work in fin services. Call it banking if you wish. I was also made redundant about a year ago and it's taken until now to get my head above water. Anyone who suggests I may have had it too good can go f**k themselves.

OP - the general outlook is a lot better now than it was 12 months ago. Keep the energy up and use ONE good headhunter. If you don't have one, just post here and let us know.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Add me to the list of those thinking positive thoughts for you.

As others have said, there are sometimes when you need an external factor to force you to change. That way you avoid indecision leaving you in one place for ever.

Hope you get what you want.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    While i have no real love for the bankers i too been made redundant (twice) during my 15 years at work and it is NOT a nice feeling.

Hope it works out for you and you land back on your feet pretty damn soon.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Good luck MM, and anyone else without a job :?
  • Good luck MM, uncertainty is the very devil. Perhaps, notwithstanding the result tomorrow, you could consider "making other arrangements" on the jobs front? It can be easier to handle when you are the instigator of the New Job for MM Campaign. :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought my weekend was cack until one of the officers I'm responsible for rang me earlier in tears. In the last week his aunty and his best friend's dad (to whom he was very close) died. He found his mum at home collapsed the day after the deaths, She'd had a stroke and this morning she died...
    Puts things into perspective...
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Theres a big difference between the likes of Fred Goodwin, the world's youngest and richest pensioner, and most people who work in a bank. The cashiers, for example are paid about £16k per year.

And it's not their fault the world is in a recession.

It's a fair guess that the OP isn't one of the overpaid people right of the top of the pyramid, but an ordinary worker trying to better herself

So widespread symapathy is the order of the day I think
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Sympathy regardless of what you were or weren't responsible for.
    Being made redundant sucks. Big time.

Best wishes to you, and +1 to most of the comments on here.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    Bankers are not the issue, greed is the issue.... Good luck with your job situation and as others have said, he may well end up in a better place....
  • @ challymoose: I'm not a banker, I work in the IT dept of a bank.

@ NapoleonD: and 700 people were crushed to death in Chile on Saturday. I am aware that there are a lot of people worse off than me (maybe I should have titled the thread "My" worst weekend ever), and it's good to put things into perspective, but loosing your job, your income, feels awful! If I was in my 20's, or even 30's, I wouldn't be so bummed, but I'm in my early 40's. Not that easy to get another job.

But it wasn't me, not this time at least. But I lost two very dear colleagues (who are probably getting drunk in the pub now!), without whom (or whome?) work here won't be the same. We worked together for 10 years. This just sucks big time.

The way things are going - or we suspect they are going b/c management won't say a word - most of us will be out of a job in 2011! All our jobs /duties are being outsourced to Poland/Bulgaria/Romania. :?

Thanks for all your comments, even the bad ones! :wink:
  • @ but I'm in my early 40's. Not that easy to get another job. :wink:

MM your are in your PRIME, like me. I am sure you're keeping your eyes peeled for new opportunities despite your narrow escape this time, so as you send your CV of, remeber to let them know you're in your prime.

I just heard this very day that I have actually managed to escape my impending death by TUPE transfer having inveigled my way as an Interim Project Mgr on a new EU funded thing. With me at the helm (and in my prime as I am) it will be fab.

Congrats to you on keeping yr role, and good luck as you go fwd,.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I thought my weekend was cack until one of the officers I'm responsible for rang me earlier in tears. In the last week his aunty and his best friend's dad (to whom he was very close) died. He found his mum at home collapsed the day after the deaths, She'd had a stroke and this morning she died...
    Puts things into perspective...
    We had a new scaffolder start with us on Thursday, he was a German aged 45. On Friday at 15.30 he fell 11 metres to his death. I saw it. So my weekend was a bit crappy to. As Napd says it puts things into perspective.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura