Chucking it down.... Ashamed...

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
It was tipping down this morning, so I decided to give the Sunday ride a miss, after all, no one else would turn up... would they?

Oh yes they would :oops:
I just drove to Tesco, and on my way home I passed 6 die hards, just setting off!
I can hardly look at myself :twisted:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shame on you, I'm off out in 20 minutes, looks grim though.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    out in it yesterday - horrible time & never got warm (first time in years) - going out in a min, yet a warm bath followed by reading the Sunday papers sounds better :lol:
  • Don't feel bad about avoiding shite-weather.

Since I got shunted off my bike in the middle of January, I haven't missed riding once. I only wonder upon the times of truly rotten weather I did bother. Idiot! :shock:

BTW, many years ago, I conferred upon myself a doctorate in shite-weather cycling, and like many an out of work Phd in the job queues of today, think: was it worth it ?

Put your feet up, guilt is the only enemy. :D

PS, now I've written that, am overcome by a sense of guilt! It's a burden alright. :(
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • not raining here, but went out yesterday and thought as I cycled past the frozen over puddles that maybe it was a touch too cold,

30 minutes later I could not feel my hands
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If my winter bike wasn't in the shop, I'd be out.

I went to the local park to do doggies and shuttles yesterday though. And that was harder, trying to keep up with my semi-pro brother!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Go and cheer yourself up with some Maltesers. :wink:

p.s. did my ride at 8am. 8)
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Weather not bad here me just full of the flu,so cant go out pissed off big time :cry: .
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    The weather has been so merchant bank around here that I've been out every day :D That said I am slightly nuts and love the rain. However once we've had heavy snow and the gritters have done their job I'd avoid going out until it's cleared. The grit can seriously screw up your gears and chain, and also do some serious paint damage to your frame.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I can't say I'm protecting my bike, etc, as it's Ti, with full 'guards... :oops:
    Ands wrote:
    Go and cheer yourself up with some Maltesers.

I went to Tesco, for Mars bars, Snickers & KitKats :shock: ... Comfort eating... :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    It was 25 degrees and 95% humidity when I went out at 6 this morning. Foggy too. I got in 45km, came home and fell asleep again! :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    hopper1 wrote:
    It was tipping down this morning, so I decided to give the Sunday ride a miss, after all, no one else would turn up... would they?

Oh yes they would :oops:
    I just drove to Tesco, and on my way home I passed 6 die hards, just setting off!
    I can hardly look at myself :twisted:

I can assure you one of them wasn't me :D Went swimming instead and only had a slice of toast for lunch as I didn't feel worthy :cry:
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    If you feel bad about not going out today - feel better that you at least considered it. I don't mind the cold or the wind - but I hate going out in the rain (or snow or ice). I am most definitely a fair weather cyclist.... so this year given the awful weather and the fact that I've been working on almost all of the few decent days - I've done 3 rides in 8 weeks. All fitness now gone and even worse I've gotten out of the habit of getting out on the bike.

As for all these wet weather cyclists .... I'm reminded of the phrase "mad dogs and Englishmen" :wink: But good on them if they're happy to get soaked.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Since I posted this morning, I got to thinking,.... :? and must declare that have just returned from my first ride since the shunt last month.

Only up to the top of the hill here (1200' asl) to through the snowline. Although the road's clear, there's plenty left either side, a metre + still. Snow still in the air up there, but very light. Glad I put all the layers on that I did. There were quite a few out and about.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    XC race (running) for me this morning so was missing our clubs reliability ride. I did get out yesterday where it was mainly nice and sunny with the odd shower - roads were really quite bad though water everywhere.

Seemed that a few had the idea of giving the reliability ride a miss though as I saw some riding the route yesterday instead of today!
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    ScottieP wrote:

As for all these wet weather cyclists .... I'm reminded of the phrase "mad dogs and Englishmen" :wink: But good on them if they're happy to get soaked.

Out today for 4 hours, 2*C, windy, rained the whole way round, took ages to get into it, hands and feet were soaked through and freezing cold near the end, although they recovered a bit. But overall it was enjoyable, climbing hills, seeing the snow on the hills first hand and the few faster bits dodging all the crap/ pot holes on the road.

:)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I got soaked, 35 miles, up and down on a nice loop. Just out the bath, smashing. :D
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I went for the comfort of the gym, i need to work on my sprint so i did some bicep curls and dumbell kick backs :shock: I like to keep my body guessing so i had a yorkie on the way home :)
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    must be one of the first times the weather up here has been better here than the rest of the country.

I cycled over the Kirkstone pass yesterday fantastic views, cold but clear, got blitzed by a guy on a Dolan.
    The snow as you climbed really made the ride.

Today I did a quick 12 mile loop on the mountain bike over the garburn pass.

Now knackered as I've been chopping wood the rest of the afternoon. :)

Work tomorrow :roll:
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I went to the local park to do doggies [ ] yesterday!

Wait wait wait, I'm still quite new and learing the lingo. My non-bikey lingo suggests this is something that carries a 6 month sentence. Pls elucidate.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    The whole weekend has being perfectly dry here in Manchester, makes a change for one!!!
  • I went out in the rain for a couple of hours and it cleared my hangover almost immediatly! bring it on!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I went to the local park to do doggies [ ] yesterday!

Wait wait wait, I'm still quite new and learing the lingo. My non-bikey lingo suggests this is something that carries a 6 month sentence. Pls elucidate.

Doggies = sprint shuttles...

We did it in football boots and on waterlogged sticky grass. It was hard.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Went out in the rain today and did 1'5 hours and easily the shortest ride I've done in a long time. Hands were a little wet, but warm so no bother.