Do mountain bikers acknowledge road riders?

Bookish
Bookish Posts: 26
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
I often go on routes which lead me to short sections of road riding, so it seems inevitable that I'm going to cross paths with road riders every now and again. I always say hello or good morning but rarely get an acknowledgement from a road rider (a small minority do and some smile too) and I never get a hello from a road rider first.
Anyone know why this is?
Is it because they are deep in concentration and don't want any distractions?
I'd like to think it isn't plain rudeness and I'd like to think that fellow mountain bikers acknowledge road riders but perhaps I'm missing something? I thought we were all out to enjoy the same things, the freedom and enjoyment of cycling whatever the type of riding?

Sorry if I'm reading too much into this but it's starting to bug me a little :?

Comments

• I'm sure it depends where you are in the UK, folks down south where I am don't say 'Boo to a Goose'.

But, head further north and folks will talk about anything.

It's very lonely here! :cry:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The pain of riding a bike that would qualify as a medieval instrument of torture means that they simply cant smile

I find its the numbers that count if its a roadie on his/her own or in a small group of 2 or 3 its a 50/50 chance of getting a smile if they are in a large group you never get any response

Before any roadie chokes on his pasta I find MTBers are the same. Case in point I was at Rivington lower barn caff yesterday with my mate having a pre ride hangover busting coffee. A group of MTBers pull up we all say hi and have a chat. We came back covered in mud about 3 hours later there was a group of MTBers already there we say hi and get blanked we might as well not been there. If you were in the second group of MTBers all I can say is

anim_22.gif
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It`s ok roadies snub other roadies as-well. Some are just miserable gits, same with mtb`ers.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    it affects their aero dynamics if they open their gob or giv a thumbs up :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I always acknowledge other riders and sometimes get blanked by both although the roadies tend to be the worst :roll: It doesn't cost owt to say hello/hi/ey-up etc so it doesn't really bother me.
  • I've been blanked by both but I do find that roadies are the worst
  • I get blanked by roadies when I'm on my road bike.

Don't take it personally some people are just c*cks.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    They're only moody because they feel like complete planks riding around with their peanuts on show but have to do so in order to maximise aerodynamics!!111*!"£
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If I see another MTBer on a local ride we're normally both so bemused that there's more than one of us that we give a fairly cheery hello. Roadies are more common, but it's nice to give, and get, 'the nod'. I think a more respond than ignore.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I don't think it's an MTB specific thing. I occasionally get blanked by roadies even if I'm on the road bike. I always get a cheery hello form MTB'ers though.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I'll speak to anyone, me.
    Roadies, Mtb'ers and...
    Oh, and earlier today on a ride, a farmer with a Single Barrel Shotgun.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i try to say hello to everyone who rides past me whether im on a mtb or my road bike. in my actual experience, i find roadies are less receptive to a friendly hello but im under the impression its because they are getting cracking with the knacking

i try to appreciate this and not let it ruin my ride and i also make sure i continue to say hello as often as possible (sometimes im breathing too hard!!)
  • People are People some friendly others bell ends

To be fair there have been times during interval training were saying hello to someone is the last thing on my mind.

Dont let it became a excuse to never say hello to fellow bike rider.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    An almost imperceptible nod is sufficient. Wouldn't want to appear too sociable :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    here is a question for you.

do roadies acknowledge other roadies? or as sheepsteeth says are they just to busy cycling?

when stopped I find them quite sociable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I always give a nod - be it another roadie, an MTBer, an old lady on a sit-up-and-beg shopping trolley, jogger, dog walker, horse rider whatever :)

Sometimes I'm so busy blowing out of my ars3 that I can't actually speak - but I'll still nod and grunt :)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    i usually say hello but if im pushing hard i sometimes end up already being past the person im speaking to by the time i've said 'awright' :D
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Me and my wife play a game of this, try to get the roadie to acknowledge your existance, it is harder than you think.

I stopped playing the game after she won, she was behind me so I didn't see what she did but it definatly got a smile from the roady... still suspicious she cheated.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Anyone else find that the number of people who say hello back drops significantly when you wear a Full Face compare to a normal helmet? (this applies to other MTBers, roadies and walkers)....I know they can hear me as some still say hello back.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • I find this a rather stupid discussion, i dont think its fair to put roadbikers or mountainbikers in such groupings we're all just people of the bike and the very same person on the bike, the only difference so to speak is the bike we're sitting on, so if you're a nice person of the bike, chances are you'll be so on the bike, vice versa, if you're a douchebag of the bike, chances are you'll still be a douchebag on the bike...
    also alot of people that like to ride a mountainbike like to get on a roadbike in the winter to keep fit, and alot of people that ride a roadbike, either started of on a mountainbike, or enjoy a ride in the woods in the weekends.
    when it's all boiled down to it we're not that different at all, we all enjoy a pedal powered two wheeled machine, if its wide or slim tired, or if it has riser or drop bars, its all pretty much the same. :D
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    I ride MTBs and Rodies and I say Hi to everyone. In my experience it is MTBers who are happiest to say hi though some roadies acknowledge me on my XC machine but definitely not on the enduro. Its the same with the road bike though, you dont tend to get a nod on the road bike unless you are going fast!

Its weird but sometimes the roadies are a bit elitist whereas the MTBers are a bit more live and let live.
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    I ride MTBs and Rodies and I say Hi to everyone. In my experience it is MTBers who are happiest to say hi though some roadies acknowledge me on my XC machine but definitely not on the enduro. Its the same with the road bike though, you dont tend to get a nod on the road bike unless you are going fast!

Its weird but sometimes the roadies are a bit elitist whereas the MTBers are a bit more live and let live.
  • Hadagan
    Hadagan Posts: 72
    Im in Newcastle

I always acknowledge roaders and they always acknowledge back. Sometimes they instigate it
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I'm on a bike, they are on a bike. If they chose not to acknowlegde my hello with even the simplest of nods it's because they didn't see me or they're a rude ignorant so and so.

Just because they're a cyclist doesn't mean they're all of a sudden a nice, polite ball of sunshine with good old fashioned manners.

But....I do find some cyclists ignore me on the road but I really can't remember being snubbed on the trail.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Malaki
    Malaki Posts: 10
    Briggo wrote:
    They're only moody because they feel like complete planks riding around with their peanuts on show but have to do so in order to maximise aerodynamics!!111*!"£

i LOL'd!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Chrissz wrote:
    I always give a nod - be it another roadie, an MTBer, an old lady on a sit-up-and-beg shopping trolley, jogger, dog walker, horse rider whatever :)

Sometimes I'm so busy blowing out of my ars3 that I can't actually speak - but I'll still nod and grunt :)
    :shock:

I'm the same, I don't care, I talk to anyone! :roll:

It makes no difference whether I'm on my roadie or MTB

I don't think roadies are worse or better than MTBers, its not a north south thing either, I'm in the south and 80% say hello or whatever. 8)

Joggers never acknowledge , I think they hate us for having mechanical assistance :P
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'm on a bike, they are on a bike. If they chose not to acknowlegde my hello with even the simplest of nods it's because they didn't see me or they're a rude ignorant so and so.

Just because they're a cyclist doesn't mean they're all of a sudden a nice, polite ball of sunshine with good old fashioned manners.

Spot on.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Acknowledging people is overrated anyway... I'm a miserable bugger off the bike so why should I change while on it! :wink:

That said it rather depends on the circumstances - if you're going to opposite way down a narrow lane then yes, I'd probably nod or something, if it's going round Richmond Park then I wouldn't bother as there are so many cyclists.

Seems odd though - I mean, I don't acknowledge someone walking the other way when I'm going to work or out shopping, but when cycling it's expected!
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    mrbond, it think the reason people expect a smile, nod or hello, is we're expected to be happy and cheerful, out having fun, whereas at the supermarket or going to work, you're there to do something so you just get on with it
  • seanoevil
    seanoevil Posts: 142
    Acknowledging people is overrated anyway... I'm a miserable bugger off the bike so why should I change while on it! :wink:

That said it rather depends on the circumstances - if you're going to opposite way down a narrow lane then yes, I'd probably nod or something, if it's going round Richmond Park then I wouldn't bother as there are so many cyclists.

Seems odd though - I mean, I don't acknowledge someone walking the other way when I'm going to work or out shopping, but when cycling it's expected!

Your reference to Richmond Park, did a couple of laps yesterday - hadnt been round the park in ages, lots of totty out on bikes so I was nodding and waving like a nutter! Oh, and ogling too :)