Chain rubbing frame on smallest cog

jzl
jzl Posts: 12
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Anybody run the combinaton of Campag Khamsin wheels,Veloce 10 speed cassette and Kinesis Tk frame and had problems with the tightness of the fit resulting in the chain rubbing against the frame while on the smallest rear cog?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It does happen with certain frames - you may have to fit a cassette with a smaller top sprocket e.g. 12 or 11
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    move the hub over slightly.
  • jzl
    Monty Dog wrote:
    It does happen with certain frames - you may have to fit a cassette with a smaller top sprocket e.g. 12 or 11

Thanks for the reply.

The smallest cog is a 12.Can't see me ever needing 11
  • jzl
    rake wrote:
    move the hub over slightly.

How do I do that? Is there a proper technique for seating the hub in the frame?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Moving the hub over involves re-spacing the hub on the axle - e.g refitting a spacer from one side of the axle and refitting it on the drive side. You'll need the service instructions for your hub and the right tools. You may need to re-dish the wheel to keep the rim in the centre as you'll change the position of the rim with respect to the brakes. I'd suggest that you talk to your LBS if unsure of the mechanics.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jzl
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Moving the hub over involves re-spacing the hub on the axle - e.g refitting a spacer from one side of the axle and refitting it on the drive side. You'll need the service instructions for your hub and the right tools. You may need to re-dish the wheel to keep the rim in the centre as you'll change the position of the rim with respect to the brakes. I'd suggest that you talk to your LBS if unsure of the mechanics.

Thanks.

I have concluded that the khamsin freewheel is to blame. A 10 speed mavic wheel fits fine. It seems to me that the stoppers on the freewheel body are not allowing the cassettte to slide far enough along to clear the frame. Or am I being very stupid?