lappierre zesty 516

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hello
two questions really.
first is about general build quaility of the frames. i currently ride an indistructable kona dawg but im llooking at getting a 516. i have heard roomors of the frames being floored in manufacturing and cracks forming rounf the bottom bracket. can any once shed much light on this or have experience with this?

secondly is the carbon rear. i have recently finshed a modual on materials on my engineering course which has raised some concers about GFRP,s . If i was to crash and hit the rear off a rock for instance what are the odds of delamination occuring. Also scratches, scratches can expose the carbon strands which can degradation of the material due to oils etc. how well is it likly to cope with this sort of thing.

any help would be great thanks and apologies if any of the above is incorrect or just stupid.

Comments

• timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    Where did you hear these "roomors" of "floors"?

I've seen pictorial evidence on here of one occurrence of this. Once something is posted on the internet, rumours often seem to magically start without any new evidence actually appearing. Even if there was a problem with some '09 bikes I certainly haven't seem any reports of problems with '10 bikes, which is what you must be looking to buy if you are talking about carbon rear triangles.

Can you just clarify whether you are asking about a Zesty 514 or a Spicy 516? If you are actually asking about a Spicy then they don't have the carbon rear anyway so that's one less thing for you to worry about as well.

lugsey2k5 wrote:
    hello
    two questions really.
    first is about general build quaility of the frames. i currently ride an indistructable kona dawg but im llooking at getting a 516. i have heard roomors of the frames being floored in manufacturing and cracks forming rounf the bottom bracket. can any once shed much light on this or have experience with this?

secondly is the carbon rear. i have recently finshed a modual on materials on my engineering course which has raised some concers about GFRP,s . If i was to crash and hit the rear off a rock for instance what are the odds of delamination occuring. Also scratches, scratches can expose the carbon strands which can degradation of the material due to oils etc. how well is it likly to cope with this sort of thing.

any help would be great thanks and apologies if any of the above is incorrect or just stupid.
  • its the zest 516 i was looking at and 2010. As you say i think they were just roomors just saw a post on here and one on another forum forget which now. just wanted to be sure with spending so much on a bike and its something thats never even crossed my mind with current kona
  • sorry its zest 514 was miss type